Worst Current Issue Weapon(Rifle or Pistol)

Yes, but normal infantry shouldent be doing too much CQB, and even if they they do, i would think that its possible to train for fast and accurate 3-rounds-bursts.

SHERMAN said:
Yes, but normal infantry shouldent be doing too much CQB, and even if they they do, i would think that its possible to train for fast and accurate 3-rounds-bursts.

Well, with today's war, they will be involved in CQB more often than 20 or even 10 years ago. However, they will not have the constant training drilled into them to be effective or safe with full auto capabilities. And yes, burst fire is just as effective and also reduces the chances of blue on blue while keeping accuracy.

Full Auto

One thing that I always insisted on with my troops was that I NEVER heard their M16s on FULL AUTO on the live fire assault courses (it doesn't take that much experience to hear the difference between the Pig and the Poodle-Shooter).

NEVER TRY TO RECTIFY DEFICIENCIES IN YOUR TRAINING WITH MACHINES! TRAIN YOUR TROOPS RIGHT!

3-round burst is the same mentality that gives us magazine safeties (like the Browning Hi-Power and S&W pistols -- now required in the PRK). Proper weapon craft can be taught just as well as safe weapon handling.

Troops can be taught that the selector stays on SEMI unless they are in a situation where they MUST EMPTY A MAGAZINE! Just like they can be taught to not point their weapon at someone UNLESS THEY ARE GOING TO KILL THEM!

Re: Full Auto

Welcome to Hollyyyyyyywood!

Target ID, shoot 2, scan, target ID, shoot 2. Don't like bursts, teach them hammer fire.

Full auto has but a few uses in CQB. Not worth the trouble.

I agree. Fiddling with the selector in the middle of a firefight is a bad idea. But looking for a fresh mag to stuff in your weapon is worse.

In a firefight, your rifle should be on semi-auto. You should be taking aimed, rapid-fire shots.

3-round burst means one shot is aimed, 2 are not. Your 30 round magazine is empty with 10 pulls of the trigger on 10 targets.

Which is worse -- thumbing the safety to full-auto when you need to empty the last 20 rounds at the guy rushing your position, or fumbling for a new magazine because you don't have 20 rounds left in your mag?

By the way, one of my favorite combat rifles in the Steyr AUG. There is no selector. When you want to take aimed, semi-auto shots, you squeeze the trigger. When you want to empty the magazine, you PULL BACK HARD ON THE TRIGGER. Very natural.

Oh, I see....Well, I dont see anything bad about having semi-auto instead of bursts. But the Full auto will empty clip and hit nothing.

Sherman,

Maybe you missed my earlier post. SEMI AUTO IS FOR KILLING. FULL AUTO IS FOR SCARING.

My point is that full-auto is a specialized feature that is used VERY INFREQUENTLY.

The fact that many troops can't keep from "spraying and praying" is not the fault of the weapon -- it is the fault of the leadership and their training.

For a combat rifle, there are few that will beat the M1 Garand, but if you need to clear a room, you need to call the guy with the M3 Grease Gun.

The whole idea of an assault rifle is that it is used as a RIFLE 95% of the time. It is used as a SUBMACHINE GUN 5% of the time.

5CAV said:
The fact that many troops can't keep from "spraying and praying" is not the fault of the weapon -- it is the fault of the leadership and their training.

I wasn't aware this was a fact, it sounds more like an opinion to me. ;)

For a combat rifle, there are few that will beat the M1 Garand, but if you need to clear a room, you need to call the guy with the M3 Grease Gun.

:lol:

Last time I saw an M3 was with an armor platoon still using the M60A3!! Clearing a room without innocents usually calls for a grenade or two before entry, that would "scare" them enough before entry with or without full auto. Remember too, that when the M1 came out it had major gas port problems, somewhat like the original 16.

Still full auto or not, fire discipline is a must and the only way to maintain that is through training and experience. Even the best trained troops in the world can have a problem in their first engagement.

Grenades are good. It's always a good idea to use grenades liberally.

If you use a grenade (area weapon), that's probably a good time to think about having your weapon on full-auto (also area weapon) -- grenade range is full-auto range.

Last time I saw an M3 was also in an M60A1 (my M60A1). Last time I talked tanks with a prior serviceman, he also had experience with M60A1s and A3s. I told him he didn't look old enough. He said he was a Marine and they were still dragging those dinosaurs around the desert around the time of DS-I.

5CAV said:
Grenades are good. It's always a good idea to use grenades liberally.

A must in urban fighting....

5CAV said:
Last time I saw an M3 was also in an M60A1 (my M60A1). Last time I talked tanks with a prior serviceman, he also had experience with M60A1s and A3s. I told him he didn't look old enough. He said he was a Marine and they were still dragging those dinosaurs around the desert around the time of DS-I.

Yep, the Corps didn't have M1's until Gulf War 1, so still had alot of the A3 with the mods (bolt on reactive armor).

Don't know if these 2 are still in use enough to qualify , but the CETME and the HK G3 get my vote as the worst rifles....They both kick like mules and are brutal to your hearing.

Bad weapon

I agree with any one who says the SA80 range of weapons is crap speaking as someone who is expected to use it if the shit hits the fan first kalashnikov carryin son of a ***** i kill is losing a rifle thank you very much. The only good thing this weapon does have is... no wait it doesnt what a piece of crap

Jay :rambo:

P.S.
Murphys law states
"remember your weapon was made by the lowest bidder" in the case of the SA80 the lowest bidder didnt want to know it was made by a small british oppressed pygmy tribe who didnt like us very much

AK-74?

This is probably a stupid question, but...

How does the AK-74 (5.56) compare to the AK-47, M-16, M-4, etc..
-same caliber as M-16
-with folding stock, has about the same length as the M-4.

Wouldn't this give the reliability of the AK, with the recoil of an M-16, and the size of an M-4?

well id have to say the best wepon is the c7-a1 is one of the best because its met for cold and warm climates and its got a few things the m-16 dosent

Back