Worst Current Issue Weapon(Rifle or Pistol)

Aging M-16

The M-16 was designed to be used at close range in a jungle enviornment in the 60's. It also was designed to be a spray weapon that is not aimed. At 350 meters max. effective range, it allows the enemy to get in way too close, then it is fix bayonets time. For MOUT it is not a bad weapon and police SWAT teams swear by the M-16 but against the range of an AK-47, it is no match. The M-14 with sear switch from semi to full auto may be heavy but at 600 meters MER, you can take your time and aim some good clean shots at the enemy.

I think the killing range of the AK-47 refers to max distance possible by the bullet in which case it is 1500 vs 3600 of the M-16 (im prob wrong!)

Max ranges

You are right Skywalker I rechecked
AK-47
Maximum range:1500 meters
Maximum effective range:
Area target:1200 meters
Point target:800 meters

M16A2
Maximum range :3,600 meters
Maximum effective range:
Area target:800 meters
Point target:550 meters

The AK-47 numbers are far off....

The effective range is max 300 meters...
Have you ever tried one of those??
They are very reliable, but not very accurate at all.....

The most serious drawback to the AK and AKM is the low muzzle velocity (710 meters per second) of the relatively heavy 7.62-mm round. This results in a looping trajectory that requires a clumsy adjustment for accuracy at ranges beyond 300 meters.

http://www.ak-47.us/AK-47info.htm

The AK-47 has a 800 meter leaf sight that is only adjustable
for range. All windage adjustments must be made by using
the front sight. The AK-47 weighs 4,300g and has a rate
of fire of 600rpm. The rifle will accept most synthetic
and metal magazines, generally 30 rounds in capacity. The
rifles effective killing range is 1,500 meters, and is
generally not used for more than 300 meters

http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/akru/ak47.html

Holy shit, those numbers are way off

The average shooter can hit a target at 500 meters with an M16. With an AK-47, 200 meters. The Ak-74 is like 400.

For MOUT it is not a bad weapon and police SWAT teams swear by the M-16

It is not, however, the first or even second choice for MOUT.

The bread and butter of SWAT is CQB, the M-16 is too long to constantly maneuver in and out of rooms, around your teammates, etc not to mention the 5.56 has no trouble going through walls and into another officer.

Serious Folks

Gee Whiz, You acccept everything your read as the truth and you don't have a sense of humor. I was just shaking the bushes to see what I could see and apparently that was a mistake. Bye, it was short but bitter sweet.

Re: Serious Folks

GSO said:
Gee Whiz, You acccept everything your read as the truth and you don't have a sense of humor. I was just shaking the bushes to see what I could see and apparently that was a mistake. Bye, it was short but bitter sweet.

This sounds like a pout, to me.

You are not the only one with experience on this forum, do well to remember that and show respect as you are given it.

Re: Serious Folks

GSO said:
Gee Whiz, You acccept everything your read as the truth and you don't have a sense of humor.

It seems to me that you were the one that believes what you read is the truth as other sources were shown that showed what you were saying for ranges might not be correct! I dont know what the actual range is, i wont know unlss i actually fired the rifle, you have to be careful with your sources especially makers/group info as they are usually biased!

I didnt see anything funny! (maybe im a sad git :D )

I'm not a big fan of 3-round burst rifles of any kinds. IMHO 3-round burst was invented by someone without a firm grasp of the "sturmgewehr" concept.

For those of you who made disparaging comments about full-auto, a little bit of history why we have assault rifles (the military kind, not the Sarah Brady-kind).

In the bad old days (WWII), your typical infantry squad had a mix of weapons. Riflemen carried an M1 Garand (for efficient medium- to long-range killing), a couple of guys carried a BAR (for suppressive fire), and a couple of guys either had grease guns (M3s) or Thompsons (M1s). A few people in the platoon (usually the management) got to carry "Personal Defense Weapons" -- the M1 Carbine in those days (which IMHO lacks nothing in comparison to the current crop of PDWs like the FN P90 or HK MP7 that have gun writers salivating -- but I digress).

The Germans had a similar mix of weapons. Riflemen carried the K98, a couple of guys had MG42s (yes, I know we had M1919s, but only John Wayne could carry one), and a couple of guys had MP40s.

Now, those grease guns, Thompsons and MP40s were very specialized tools that were useful maybe 5% of the time, but that 5% of the time, nothing did the job better. Those 5%-kinds of jobs were room clearing, bunker clearing and trench clearing.

The Germans, being big fans of efficiency, were the first ones to realize that it didn't make sense to dedicate such a large amount of personnel resources (about 25%) to operate a tool that could only be EFFECTIVELY employed about 5% of the time. Hence, was born the "sturmgewehr", a dual purpose tool that was mainly used for medium- to long-range killing for the rifleman, but with the flick of a selector switch (select-fire, baby!), could be used in those INFREQUENT moments when you absolutely, positively have to empty a magazine.

3-round burst means that a skilled rifleman gets 1 round hit, 2 rounds miss; an unskilled rifleman gets 3 rounds missed. And when you need that room-broom, you're looking for the guy that can empty the magazine of his new-fangled MP5, or some other equally useless toy that only impresses Sarah Brady-types.

Full Auto....especially on a light weapon.

My problem on full auto is with a light weapon like the 16. Like I stated before, the inclusion of the SAW made it easier to have a base of fire weapon for a fire team since using the A1 in full auto was essentially useless since keeping on target was a nighmare.

Back