Worst Aircraft of of WWII

Another right Lemon was the Manchester bomber, the Rolls Royce engines designed for this plane did not work properly it was under powered and a right pain for the Air Crews, yet from this design came one of the great bombers of WW2 the Lancaster.

How good was the York bomber? I once flew from Blackbush to Fayid in one. Not very comfortable. Not very quiet.

Was the York ever a Bomber?, it was a hashed attempt to make a Lancaster into a civilian aircraft. But there again Boeing turned the B29 into the Boeing Stratocruiser by sticking two B29 fuselages on top of one another

LeEnfield - I guess that answers my question.

Perseus asked re. Blackbushe airport. See below.The History of Blackbushe Airport

hdr_corner.gif
16_squadron.gif
Opened in late 1942, RAF Hartfordbridge was active throughout the war, providing a base for Squadrons of Spitfires and Mosquitos involved in reconnaissance and fighter defense operations as well as a home for the Free French Squadron (Lorraine).

RAF Hartfordbridge, with its excellent all-weather record, welcomed many notable arrivals including King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, Supreme Allied Commander General Eisenhower and Field Marshal Montgomery.
At the end of the War, newly renamed RAF Blackbushe was transferred to RAF Transport Command and was used as a base for many Dakotas involved in the 1948 Berlin Airlift as well as flight training purposes, listing HRH The Duke of Edinburgh as a successful student.

concert_programme.jpg
In 1960 Blackbushe Airport passed into civilian ownership, initially as a home airfield for a collection of historic Spitfires prior to being acquired by British Car Auctions who redeveloped the facility into a thriving centre of private, business and executive aviation.

In addition to its long association with aviation, Blackbushe has also hosted motor sport sprints and even a famous open-air Rock Concert in July 1978 "The Picnic at Blackbushe" when Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton performed in front of over 200,000 fans

Back