Worried

LeatherNeckRVA

I recently enlisted, I have not taken my physical for MEPS yet due to some extra paperwork need for an old knee injury. I've already taken my ASVAB and scored high as far as I'm told by my recruiter(93 AFQT 126 GT) So for my MOS I plan on picking MAGTF tehcnician because I'd like to get as much college done as possible. Ok so I'm done with the background my problem is, how realistic is it for me to goto college while active duty, and is MAGTF the best choice to get as much college done as possible, Its a huge decision on my part but any advice would be much appreciated.

MAGTF

I think, more than anything, that depnds on the college you wish to attend. Colleges have become incredibly flexible with night and all-Saturday courses. The good news is, since you start with a basic curriculum in your first couple years, you can also take most any course.

As far as your off time, that's so subjective. Each unit is unique. However, NCOs (Sergeants) in the modern military are usually supportive of soldiers, airmen, sailors, and mairnes getting college. A lot depends on your relationship with your supervisors.

If you do your job, stay focused at work, keep your nose clean, your bosses will recognize you can handle additional work, such as college.

I've been in for 2 1/2 years now and I'm just now to the point where I can start taking classes. I'm going to an online university so it's a little bit easier that having to try and fight around your shops schedule. Don't come in expecting to start classes immediately because there's a lot of training you have to do to become proficient in your job and most of the time your supervisors are going to want you focusing on the that.

Back