World's Policeman

Whispering Death

So what do you guys think about how the U.S. conducted foreign policy in the 90s becomming pretty much the "word's policeman"

We helped out...
Kuwait against Iraq
Starving Somalis against Warloards
Bosnians
Albanians in Yougoslavia

Do you think it was good, would you support such actions in the future?

Here's my opinion: I think it was okay at the time because we where building up status in the world community, proving we where good people. But all that helping out the world didn't help us one bit when we needed help from the rest of the world in Iraq. Now, if it isn't a direct threat to America I wouldn't support military action in any of the above. I don't care about he Somalis, Bosnians, Kurds, they arn't going to help us we shouldn't spend billions of dollars and let our young men die just to have the world hate us even more.

I think it was alright before. Having small task forces in some troubled areas that really needed help. But don't do too much. That way everyone is happy and peace is held.

You're right.
In fact, it'd be interesting to see how fun it'll be if America really DOES pull out of South Korea.
But overall the policing and stuff, let the UN do it. More like let them sit around, talk about it, make emotional little speeches while thousands get slaughtered and send in a small peacekeeping force afterwards to show they did "something."

LOL the UN is like a place that employs a bunch of people to talk. They don't do much, thats for sure. You know, I find the US sends a lot of its weaponry to so called "allies" but as you can see these "allies" can become the "enemy" like Iraq. So now Iraq is using US made weapons against US infantry. Kind of ironic aint it.

I'll tell you why the UN is so ineffective in such critical matters: Please all, please none. They should have read the Aesop's Fables. :lol:

Well, the U.S. would still have to look out for S. Korea and Israel because they've already made the pledge. But I really don't think the next time bad sh*t happens in the world like Somalia, America isn't going to be there.

Makes sense.
And the next time it happens and people ***** about not being involved, the administration can clearly say that it has done so in the past and recieved nothing but criticism and Swastikas drawn on the forehead of the president's picture.

I bet anyone a million dollars that if the US pulls out of South Korea we will have One Korea within the year and it definetly wont be a democracy.

We're only loved when we're wanted - it's just that simple. Europe has certainly proved that to us. Many still do recall what we did to turn back the tide of conquest and facism but most have forgotten I'm afraid. There's a poem by Rudyard Kipling about the British soldier's (Tommy Atkins) value to people at peace vs. those in times of trouble. I think it sums up pretty well the world's value of the US in actions that don't directly save their own butt:

Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o'beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's ``Thank you, Mister Atkins,'' when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's ``Thank you, Mr. Atkins,'' when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy how's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints:
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind,"
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country," when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

That sums it up. The only time were loved is when were needed. I would love to see Europe settle issues without the US either being a moderator or siding with someone.

OutcastHuman said:
I bet anyone a million dollars that if the US pulls out of South Korea we will have One Korea within the year and it definetly wont be a democracy.

Bullshit. You'll owe me a million dollars.

OutcastHuman said:
You think SK can hold off NK by itself?

It cant.. And USA do what it thinks is good, they started with small things, Somalia and Afganistan, but pretty much failed in Iraq, many loses(will be much more) and hole military is stuck there as well as all the money.

We had a few threads on South Korea taking on North Korea alone. I've even chatted with experts in this field while in University about the matter... and I mean Americans, Swedes etc.
All our conclusions lead to one thing: South Korea can hold off a North Korean invasion on its own.

It's off topic though. You want to see where our discussion went? Go look up the threads.

My thoughts are that Playing World Police is not in our best interests. I can see providing forces to stabilize countries within our hemisphere. Haiti, etc. Where certain issues effect us. Somolia, Sierra Leon, the Balkans NO!

We end up despised for interference. And put our Military at risk for a bunch of ungrateful :cen: 's who go right back to wasting each other as soon as we clear the AO.

If you want to live in a perpetual state of war. Go for it. No sense risking American lives. my .02

In my opinion, I think that it is awful selfless dedicating out money and our lives for those that would not do the same for us. We should not return evil for evil, but evil for good. Whether they would do the same for us means nothing, nor should it. When someone is wrong, they are wrong, and I will stick with what I said in another forum, some swords are single edged. People do stupid things and it takes brave men and women to fix their ignorance. Once again, this is only my opinion, one that is probably subconciously bias due to the fact that I AM an American, but I truly believe in what we are doing, and I think that the day we stop is the day that evil and human greed prevail...

Back