--
Boots

February 1st, 2005  
A Can of Man

February 1st, 2005  
Snauhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Not like Arabs don't fire into the air at the drop of a hat anyway.

"It's your birthday Abdul?" BbbbbbrrrrraaaaAAAPPPP!!!!!
i dont see any funny thing with that, well better then to get drunk
February 1st, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
I don't think anyone is refering to a scenerio like the Japanese in China, or Nazi Germany running amuck in Europe. We were talking in terms of Somilia, Haiti, Kosovo etc. Peace Keeping and stablization operations. Not all out Aggression. There is difference.

But spin it how you want.
i wasn't trying to spin it. the last time the US retreated to isolationism...it ended at pearl harbour.
--
Boots
February 1st, 2005  
A Can of Man

It's a good point. But you could argue that an act of non-isolationism, cutting off Japan's access to its oil supply, triggered it.
February 1st, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
It's a good point. But you could argue that an act of non-isolationism, cutting off Japan's access to its oil supply, triggered it.
very true, but could the US have stopped japan's conquest earlier? for all my critisisms i would'nt like to see the US retreat from the world...just be a lot more careful with the might it does wield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
First off, Americans pay for for I think it is 1/4 of all the UN budget and what do we get for it? Stabbed in the back at every turn. I support wholeheartedly stepping out of the UN or at least cutting our finances like in half.
actually, the US hasn't paid their full membership fees for years;
http://www.tgmag.ca/ungass/nycbin2.html

The United Nations is sort of like being part of a club that you have to pay money to belong to. Each country that is a member of this club pays membership fees to help the organization run. Countries that make more money, pay higher fees.

According to the United Nations, the U.S. government owes 1.2 billion dollars. Only five percent of this amount is actually owed to the United Nations. The rest is owed to countries ,like Canada and France as contributions for their peacekeeping missions. Essentially, as a member of the UN club, the United States is late on paying their fees. Does this mean they no longer belong?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/congr...dues_3-11.html

"U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan has urged the U.S. to repay billions of dollars in unpaid dues. But many Congressional Republicans continue to greet the subject with skepticism, questioning the role of the international organization. Should the U.S. pay its dues?"
February 1st, 2005  
Whispering Death

Ha ha ha that's awsome Republicans +1 in my book.

Kofi Annan - "Hey, you said you'd pay us 1.2 billion dollars"
Bush - "I say a lot of things"

February 1st, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
i wasn't trying to spin it. the last time the US retreated to isolationism...it ended at pearl harbour.
My prediction is that the U.S. isn't going to be isolationist. They're still going to be interested in the middle east, Korea, and Taiwan... But as for the rest of the world? I think you're going to get a bag of rice, a few evangellical missionaries and a dismissive wave.
February 1st, 2005  
A Can of Man

Isolationism is just no longer feasable.
Just not the way the world works now.
Though it'd be interesting to see what would happen if the US did go isolationist, you're right, it's not going to happen.
February 1st, 2005  
SwordFish_13

Hi

Quote:
actually, the US hasn't paid their full membership fees for years;
http://www.tgmag.ca/ungass/nycbin2.html
Apart form that ....................I don't think if US pulls out all it's Solders Contribution for Peacekeeping Missions ............they would be missed Much as Most of Troops Contribution Comes form Developing Nations............as US only Account for less than 1% of that ................the Current Contribution i think is 40 Solders

Quote:
Despite the large number of contributors, the greatest burden continues to be borne by a core group of developing countries. The 10 main troop-contributing countries to UN peacekeeping operations as of June 2004 were Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Ghana, India, Ethiopia, South Africa, Uruguay, Jordan and Kenya. About 10 per cent of the troops and civilian police deployed in UN peacekeeping missions come from the European Union and one per cent from the United States.

The largest contributers were from Pakistan (8,652), Bangladesh (8,211) and Nigeria (3,577). The biggest contributer from a western country is Poland with 739 peacekeepers on a 19th place. The USA ranks 26th with 430 peacekeepers. The EU combined have 4,532 peacekeepers.
Source

Peace
-=SF_13=-
February 1st, 2005  
A Can of Man

We actually meant beyond just peacekeeping missions.
When Americans go in, they usually do it without wearing blue helmets.