--
Boots

January 31st, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
And Advise the UN that we will provide Humanitarian aid only. No military aid to include transport. Or money earmarked for military purposes.
The UN would probably wither away and die if we did that.

Z. You say that like it's a bad thing.
January 31st, 2005  
A Can of Man

It actually could be. The UN actually does do some useful things such as organizing humanitarian aid distribution. They do a lot of good projects here and there. Just again it's not covered by the press because they're hardly newsworthy.
January 31st, 2005  
03USMC

Yes they are good at somethings. But in it's current configureation it needs to be gutted. The old Guard run out and reconfigured.
--
Boots
January 31st, 2005  
A Can of Man

I have no idea how Kofi Annan got that top job after screwing up Rwanda so badly.
January 31st, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
I think your sentiments are more along the line of most Americans. I really don't think that there is going to be enough public support for any actions in Europe, non-taiwan/Korea Asia, or Africa. If anything happens there I think America is just going to say 'too bad' and kick it down to the U.N. for them to debate and do nothing about.

I think America is going to stop looking out for the world and start looking out for itself.
last time that attitude was around it ended with pearl harbour
January 31st, 2005  
03USMC

I don't think anyone is refering to a scenerio like the Japanese in China, or Nazi Germany running amuck in Europe. We were talking in terms of Somilia, Haiti, Kosovo etc. Peace Keeping and stablization operations. Not all out Aggression. There is difference.

But spin it how you want.
January 31st, 2005  
A Can of Man

If anything, it'll answer a few things.
There's a lot of popular belief that if the US just disengages from the world, the anger and violence aimed at America will be stopped. If this is true, then everyone's a winner. If America gets hit, then it proves that the Americans were right all along.
February 1st, 2005  
Whispering Death

First off, Americans pay for for I think it is 1/4 of all the UN budget and what do we get for it? Stabbed in the back at every turn. I support wholeheartedly stepping out of the UN or at least cutting our finances like in half.

Secondly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
II also remember in Iraq, a Colonel, I think an African American, was discharged for firing his pistol to scare an Iraqi prisoner.
Complete b******t. He was from my city, Dallas, Texas and this is the kind of guy we need more of. He roughed up and shot the pistol in the air because he knew this prisoner had time-sensitive intel about an ambush planned for later that day. He got the intelligence of out the prisoner, sprung the trap on the insurgents, and saved god knows how many of his own men's lives. This is the self-sacrificial act of a man who cares more for his soldiers' lives than his freedom, I think he is a hero and the type of guy I would want to serve under..
February 1st, 2005  
A Can of Man

Yeah I know. The second bit I was thinking of, "this is the definintion of bullsh1t" but I thought we had enough overly emotional threads already... like kinda where this one's headed to.
It is ridiculous. He fired into the air. AWAY from the guy.
February 1st, 2005  
Charge 7

Not like Arabs don't fire into the air at the drop of a hat anyway.

"It's your birthday Abdul?" BbbbbbrrrrraaaaAAAPPPP!!!!!