World's Oldest Joke?

Why did the chicken cross the road???? To get to the other side,...I know pretty lame, but its the oldest I could think of.

I can kick off with a classic Roman joke on record, 1st century BC.

It involves the Emperor Augustus touring his realm and coming across a man who seems to bear a striking resemblance to himself.

Intrigued, he asks : 'Was your mother at one time in service at the palace?'. The man replies: 'No, Your Highness, but my father was'.

Not necessarily a great joke, but certainly a very old one.:smile:

Last edited:
-Here, eat this Apple, it's from the forbidden tree of knowledge!
-Okay. *Pooof!* Oh, what is this schit!?

:p

I think it was when man discovered fire, and one guy got a little too close... hilarity reigned among his friends while he ran around like a little girl.

Sumeria - at least 1,900 BC :

Clean translation - 'Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering she looks like a haddock.'

Actual text :-

'Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young
woman did not fart in her husband's lap'.

OK I don't know what the oldest joke is but the only joke I can think of is this one....

Q: Why doesn't a chicken wear pants?
A: Because his pecker is on his head!

Pretty lame huh? LOL.

Well, I can't say anything about the oldest jokes, but here's a few jokes from when I was in the army-

Snares

Snares are fun. We used to set them near the latrines. If someone was in a hurry they did not always make it in time.

A word to the wise don't set thus for those in your unit. They get mad and they will get even.

Snaring Scenarios Based on Experience First and Second Hand.

Super glue on a sleeping bag zipper is not funny.

A dookie in a rucksack is not funny....

Your boots tossed in a tree is not funny....

Having the Platoon bug out on you at night is not funny....

Snaring someones CO is funny at first....

PMCS'ing the Brigades Motor pool is not fun or funny.

Snaring the medic is painful....but not for the medic

Snaring your own pointman is worse. You will pay in spades.

Snaring a cook gets you smaller portions.

Snaring the Supply section gets you 100mph taped to a cot.

Snaring any NCO senior to you gets you the worst he can imagine. Plus It comes back every time he thinks about it.

Last edited:
It is said that the world's oldest joke -book is Philogelos (The Laughter Lover) a collection of 265 jokes in Greek, 4th centuryAD by Hierocles and Philagrius.

Example:-
A man complains to that slave he has only just bought has died. 'By the gods', answers the slave-trader, 'when he was with me, he never did any such thing!'

(the inspiration of the dead parrot gag?)

Last edited:
Back