World's deadliest firearm?

The Legion

Hello, im new to the forums, and don't have much military training other than my 2 years in army cadets, and was wondering what the world's "Deadliest" fire arms are. Broken into 6 diffrent categories; Assault rifles,Sniper rifles,Shotguns,Pistols,Light-machine-guns,and Sub-machine guns. Im curious on what people think the best firearm in each category would be.

You will not be more dead from being shot with a high caliber weapon. Any weapon that kills you is deadly.

My only weapon is my mind.... everything else is just a tool. Dead is dead. Doesn't matter if I use a Remington 1858 Black Powder Revolver or the Tsar Bomb.

Somehow I have the feeling that he ment something else with his first question on this forum... Treat him gently people, make him feel at home and than crack down on his somewhat incomplete question.

Weapons are designed for certain tasks, and are very deadly in carrying out those tasks. A sniper would not use a pistol for a long range shot, there again a sniper rifle would have problems in operating in confined areas because of its length. Which all makes nonsense of the question

5.56 has a good point. Tsar Bomba.

"Got a problem with a sniper? And you just can't find him? Tired of getting shot at, and you have no idea where the little buggar's hiding? No problem! Introducing.....Tsar Bomba! With a 60 mile diameter ground zero, that sniper ain't gonna get away!"
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxD44HO8dNQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxD44HO8dNQ [/ame]
:horsie:

World's deadlist weapon is stupid people in conjuction with cameras.

Then come firearms as the second most deadly component in conjuction with stupid people.

No, the world's deadliest weapon is, as one says "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers" Just that is bad enough. Give them a country, or a gun, or anything, then their deadliness will just be multiplied....

On a more serious tone, I think the question is too broad, even if they were categorized.... There's too many guns were too many purposes. Semi-auto or fully auto. Sub-machine or machine?

Any gun believed to be unloaded.

Well, in my opinion there's no such thing as an unloaded gun...
Meaning that any gun should be treated as loaded.

The worlds deadliest firearm would be the the gun pointed at you by a person who intends to kill you, make and calibre doesn't make much difference then.
In your hands it would simply be the weapon your used to and trained for, as long as it's reliable.

this is a question that can go in many different directions on each category as everyone has a favorite and there are a lot out there to choose from - what might work great for one will not for another - best to just search the different one out there read up on them and learn from there what others have to say - this is what I try to do when I come across a firearm that I am not familiar with

British Commando's carried out raids in occupied Europe, one of their deadliest and quietest weapons was the Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife. It doesn't have to go "BANG" to be deadly.

I agree with Ted, unless he asks how will he learn? I'm sure we have all asked our elders what they would regard as stupid questions.

The most lethal weapon is the human brain.
With a little imagination, anything you pick up can be transformed into a weapon.

With respect to what firearm that´s the most "Deadliest"
When you consider how many rounds per minute, a machine gun is able to deliver then I would say it´s the most deadly firearm you can encounter on the battlefield.

The image of a British commando that sneaks up behind the German guard with a fighting knife in his mouth is a myth. But it was good propaganda.

Last edited:
Its not only the weapon that can be considered as the most deadly, but the ammunition.

The old British Mk7 .303 was one of the deadliest rounds ever made.

Reason being, most military issue full metal jacket ammunition is simply a gilding metal tube, a lead slug is inserted and pressed into the desired shape and calibre. The lead fills the jacket from front to rear.

The 303 British is somewhat different, the jacket could be either gilding metal or nickel, with either an alloy or wooden plug in the nose, then pressed into the desired shape and calibre. This had the effect of being heavier to the rear of the bullet, on firing the rotational spin of the projectile cancelled out any tendency for the rear of the projectile to overtake the front, until it hit something like human flesh. The bullet would tumble on impact causing massive trauma, even a so called minor wound would lead to extensive shock and damage that resulted in the death of the person who was hit.

Last edited:
The fact that rounds like the 5.56x45mm tumble on impact with a target is fairly well known. But the 5.56mm bullet does have a characteristic that is not that well known – it´s main mechanism for causing tissue damage is not tumbling but by fragmentation. When the bullet tumbles it begins to fragment, and the channels that these fragments cut weakens the surrounding tissue and makes it more susceptible to damage from stretching. The result is a large volume wound cavity that may be 7cm across at its widest.

The fact that rounds like the 5.56x45mm tumble on impact with a target is fairly well known. But the 5.56mm bullet does have a characteristic that is not that well known – it´s main mechanism for causing tissue damage is not tumbling but by fragmentation. When the bullet tumbles it begins to fragment, and the channels that these fragments cut weakens the surrounding tissue and makes it more susceptible to damage from stretching. The result is a large volume wound cavity that may be 7cm across at its widest.

I thought cavitation was the killer...

Principally, there are three mechanisms of tissue damage due to bullets: laceration and crushing, shock waves, and cavitation. Laceration and crushing are generated by the projectile displacing the tissues in its track and are recognized as the primary wounding mechanism produced by handguns The degree and amount of laceration and crushing are dependent upon projectile velocity, shape, angle of impact, yaw, and tumbling. Shock waves, the second mechanism often cited as significant in wounding, occur by the compression of tissues that lay ahead of the bullet, are generated by high velocity projectile generally exceeding 2,500 feet per second. A projectile´s ability to produce a temporary cavity is considered an important component in wound production and degree of destruction. Most researchers agree that the wounding effect of the cavitation phenomenon is only significant in velocities surpassing 1,000 feet per second. When a projectile enters the body, the kinetic energy imparted on the surrounding tissues forces them forward and radically producing a temporary cavity or temporary displacement of tissues. The temporary cavity may be considerably larger than the diameter of the bullet, and rarely lasts longer than a few milliseconds before collapsing into the permanent cavity or wound (bullet) track. The permanent cavity, or wound track, is the defect generated when the tissues in the projectile´s path are expelled from the body. The cavitation phenomenon has been used to explain the fracturing of bone not in the direct path of a projectile.

Back