World War III Books.

I surprisingly haven't read many of these.

Red Storm Rising is pretty good.
Red Phoenix is not World War III, but it's about the second Korean War. Quite well written. Has a few inaccuracies such as South Korea having A-10s, but it's somewhat forgivable because it seems odd that the RoKAF DOESN'T have A-10s. The scenario is plausible in the early 80's but has pretty much no chance of occurring now.

Amazon.com's got their list with some others.
Team Yankee (Harold Coyle): About an M-1 crew in the Fulda gap during an invasion.
The Third World War (John Hackett): Apparently this guy wrote it with declassified stuff regarding NATO plans.
Fail Safe (Eugene Burdick): The USA starts World War III by accident (did you just get stiff EagleHammer?)

WW-III

Arc Light by Eric Harry has some interesting parts.

If your just need to read about fighting there's a writer called Ian Slatter (I may be spelling his last name wrong) but he wrote a whole series called WW-III, not the greatest writer but good bathroom reading stuff. He also wrote a series called Seal Team Seven, I think there are only six teams but its fiction. Better then reading Dale Brown's wonder jets and generals who never get in trouble or grow old and retired.

Eric Harry is pretty good your enjoy it and he wrote a second book as well, like the first one more. Your always going to find inaccuracies I found one in a Patrick Robinson book he was saying the 20mm cannon round from a Su-27 hitting the what ever thing was talking about. The only problem Su-27 is Russian they use 23mm or 30mm cannons in there jets not American 20mm. It's fiction and accept only liking or believing parts anyway such is life. I read about sixty to hundred of those fiction military novels anything with a jet, tanks, ship, on the cover I bought. Some aren't worth reading in the bathroom.
icon10.gif

Stories are interesting only if the main character is in serious trouble and is not a perfect human being.
Jack Ryan became too big for his own good.

Jack Ryan

I agree Jack Ryan did get too big ruined it for me as well. I go many directions with story plots and characters as well but hate bad ending that don't close up lose ties.

13th redneck, i read you were writing a piece on the end of the world? i'd like to read when it gets finished or at a stand still, always been a fiction fan, and i'm thinking about writing a one soon.

Uh yeah... that. I lost the file when I reformatted the computer. I thought I backed it up but.... can't seem to find it. :(

Ive been writing somewhat a short story about the "End War" so to say one and off. I put in some references to predictions made of the apocolypse by the bible and other religious and stuff like that (By no means am I a bible thumper but it does make it sort of interesting). Like such things as RFID chips and how a prediction was made the "anti-christ" would make people have a mark that would be used for purchases and sale. Or how the world would be sweeped clean by fire instead of water as it was with Noah. Whats a better example of that than a gigantic nuclear war at the end of the ground war. Or how the "Third rise of the roman empire" would be lead by the anti-christ. Or was it second? Question is who would you make the third or second roman empire? If your writing a serious book you should take those into consideration. People always like a lil twist in books. Dont refer to them directly, but eventually people will connect the two. Then there ya go! You got a cult classic!

Richard Herman Jnr has written several good novels. Eric L Harry isn't too bad, don't bother with his novel "Invasion" though, hated it with a passion.

Arc Light by Eric Harry has some interesting parts.

While Arc Light is a great book, Eric Harry lifted verbatim passages from The Day After World War 3,by Edward Zuckerman, and integrated them into his novel. Harry also wimps out regarding the EMP issue. After specifically having the characters in the NCA plane state that the 100 mile nuclear explosion over Milwaukee was an EMP burst, and having Marine Joint Chiefs' member General Fuller earn the wrath of others by describing that NUDET as a "Damn bonanza for the Japanese,", he has the characters make long distant telephone calls, drive their late model vehicles, and watch CNN. For shame, Mr. Harry, For Shame.

One of my favorite books was "Red Alert" one of the first WW-3 novels. The book upon Dr Strangelove was based upon. My other is Red Storm Rising.

If you like post-apocalyptic stories, you might check out Aftermath, by Al Steiner. I consider it one of the best online stories I've read(and I've read quite a few). Be aware that it was written for a sex story website, so the author included plenty of gratuitous sex. After several readings, I think you could pretty much delete all the sex scenes and still have a very good story.
BTW, for anyone familiar with military operations, he shows a very good use of defense-in-depth in the story.
If you want to read it, it's available at www.storiesonline.net
You have to register there to get the story, but you can download all the chapters and read them on your computer.

Back