World War II armored vehicles - Page 3

View Poll Results :best world war II armored vehicle?
Tiger Series: Tiger I, KingTIger 88mm 10 41.67%
T-3485 85mm 5 20.83%
Sherman 75,76,105mm 0 0%
ISU-122/152 122/152mm 1 4.17%
Panthers 75mm 4 16.67%
PZ IV series 75mm 0 0%
JS 2 122mm 0 0%
JS 3 122mm 2 8.33%
JadTiger 128mm 0 0%
JadPanther 88mm 1 4.17%
STUG III 75mm 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

--

February 22nd, 2005  
Dutchy

4 Shermans to take out 1 Tiger? How did they get these numbers...Actually nearly every Tiger on the Western front during WW2 was either destroyed by aerial fired rockets (Typhoons e.a.) or by it's own crew due to fuel shortage or mechanical breakdowns.
February 23rd, 2005  
MadeInChina

man, those typhoons are a hell of a plane

anyways, back to topic

anyone seen the maus in museums??? those things are so huge, and if deplyed they will be pretty rough for allies to kill
February 23rd, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro
In my view the King Tiger was the best but it never entered full production
Yes it did and while it had superb armour and a potent gun it was grossly underpowered and very unreliable. Moreover, it's sheer bulk made it hard to hide on the battlefield. Germany would have been better served making further improvements to the Panther and making that tank more reliable than messing around with yet another new design.

In saying that, had the Tiger II been developed fully and had a suitable powerplant it would have been an awesome battlefield superiority tank.
--
February 23rd, 2005  
Charge 7

Well if you want to call 1400 Tiger I and IIs "full production" okay. Hardly compares to 50,000 Shermans for a decent production run though.
February 24th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Well if you want to call 1400 Tiger I and IIs "full production" okay. Hardly compares to 50,000 Shermans for a decent production run though.
Well it was production nonetheless and not just prototypes being made. Size of production is irrelevant when discussing what is and what isn't full production. Though, I do wonder how many Panzer IV's could have been made instead. Panzer IV's with the long-barelled 75mm gun were all Germany really needed, with 88 AT guns filling in as needed.
February 26th, 2005  
MadeInChina

true, those 75's did alot of damage

however i thought the germans should've added a more powerful engine, larger wheels and a larger turret to the PZ IV H with an 88mm gun, that would be so powerful
February 26th, 2005  
FO Seaman

There was never a Sherman with a 105mm, just 75mm LV and 76mm HV. Just a package that could upgun the Sherman and we sold them to the Israeli's.

The M10 Tank Destroyer with the Sherman chasisis had a 105mm or 3in gun.

Not to sound picky or rude but you only put the Sherman up, what about the Stuart, Grant, Lee, Preist, and Chaffee. And the M18 and M10.
February 27th, 2005  
MadeInChina

grants... chaffes, doesnt have the performance as the other tanks mentioned, besides, it is a poll of best tanks, generally light and lightly firepowered tanks are not mentioned

yes there is, the 105mm sherman firefly by the british, it is pretty good, could take a tiger down with a couple shots

by standards american armored units sucked, no offense, though in the late time of the war it was imporoved.
March 2nd, 2005  
Mike Main

Not sure I agree with all we have hit on lately.....

I believe there was a Sherman 105mm. But it was intended as an assault gun, not a tiger killer.
I think the Brit Firelfly had a 76.2mm. Probably the best gun the Tommies fielded during the war. From the stats, I would say it was the most deadly Sherman of the war. It seems to have better punch than the 76mm the US put on the later Shermans.
I think you guys are overrating the MkIV somewhat. It could hold it's own against the Western Allies but it was outclassed by the T-34s. At least the T-34/85. Then there are the Russian heavies.....
The Mk IV was due to be phased out. Germany just ran out of options facing 50,000 Sherman and 70,000 T-34s.
March 3rd, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Main
Not sure I agree with all we have hit on lately.....

I believe there was a Sherman 105mm. But it was intended as an assault gun, not a tiger killer.
I think the Brit Firelfly had a 76.2mm. Probably the best gun the Tommies fielded during the war. From the stats, I would say it was the most deadly Sherman of the war. It seems to have better punch than the 76mm the US put on the later Shermans.
I think you guys are overrating the MkIV somewhat. It could hold it's own against the Western Allies but it was outclassed by the T-34s. At least the T-34/85. Then there are the Russian heavies.....
The Mk IV was due to be phased out. Germany just ran out of options facing 50,000 Sherman and 70,000 T-34s.
The Panzer IV wasn't as good as the T-34 but fitted with the long barrelled 75mm KwK 40 L/43 gun it was able to engage the Soviet tanks on fairly equal terms. The advantage of the Panzer IV, as Guderian correctly noted, was that it was much easier to produce than the Panther or Tiger, it was a well proven combat design into its late production variants and the tank crews knew them inside out. Think of the Panzer IV as the 'German Sherman', except better.