World War 2 in movies

--

November 19th, 2005  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Topic: World War 2 in movies

Quite a few, but by no means all, WW2 movies follow this formula: A small Allied unit, which usually consists of several WASPs, one Token Brit and one * guy use superior tactics, skills and wits to destroy a much larger German force that sometimes has superior technology.

This is a very distorted image of WW2.

The main reasons of Germany's defeat were the overwhelming numbers of Allied troops, more resources the Allies had at their disposal and - to a lesser extent - superior technology (mainly in the Bomber and Radar department I think).

Discuss!

*To those of you not familiar with South Park: The name of this character is Token Black.
November 19th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

uhh LOL, okay...am confused..what are we talking about again!?
November 19th, 2005  
Fox

What?
--
November 20th, 2005  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMacbeth
uhh LOL, okay...am confused..what are we talking about again!?
Have you got ADD? :P
November 20th, 2005  
tomtom22

This is a very good point, Mohmar Deathstrike. I was confused by the meaningless posts of MightyMacbeth & Fox.

But can you give us some examples of such films to back up your theory?

I will try to reply then.
November 20th, 2005  
Damien435

Let me name some off the top of my head.

A Bridge to Far. Kelly's Heroes, Dirty Dozen, Bridge Over the River Kwai (opposite front but same formula.) Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line (never seen it but I assume it is the same).

And yes, they are pretty much as Mohmar said, except in most movies I believe it is a Ranger or other specialized force going deep behind enemy lines with the advantage of surprise.

lol, Token.
November 20th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom22
This is a very good point, Mohmar Deathstrike. I was confused by the meaningless posts of MightyMacbeth & Fox.
Me too. :P

I think this is a good point but one which always happens when movies are made by the victors. One thing I will say is the vast majority of WW2 movies made in the US or UK is about the Western Front; The Longest Day, The Battle of the Bulge, Kelly's Heroes, A Bridge Too Far, and so on. The German Army faced by the Western Allies was weakened, gutted and had virtually no air cover or mobility. Many of the German soldiers the Western Allies faced were infirm, green, support or training troops and overage and underage recruits. Given that, perhaps these small group of Allied commandoes ought to have done as well as they did in the movies but the makers tend to make out the that 'cream' of the Wehrmacht faced them, when the total opposite was often the case.
November 20th, 2005  
LeEnfield

The problem with most of this film list is, some of it is pure fiction, while other films have been made for the box office with scant attention to the historical facts of the battles. Most of these should be treated just as entertainment.
November 20th, 2005  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Let me name some off the top of my head.

A Bridge to Far. Kelly's Heroes, Dirty Dozen, Bridge Over the River Kwai (opposite front but same formula.) Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line (never seen it but I assume it is the same).

And yes, they are pretty much as Mohmar said, except in most movies I believe it is a Ranger or other specialized force going deep behind enemy lines with the advantage of surprise.

lol, Token.
8)

Of those movies you listed, I think I've seen only Saving Private Ryan. Other movies are Force 10 From Navarone (which I think is about Special Forces), 2 of the Indiana Jones movies (though they're technically not war movies. I've listed them anyway because they are mainly a single guy killing a whole battallion or something, but I think it's meant to be a self-satire to some extent), Where Eagles Dare (I've only seen part of this film). Then there's a movie whose name I can't remember. It's set partly in Yugoslavia, partly in Greece and it's about American special forces who, with the help of some local partisans kill a shitload of German troops. I forgot the main plot however. Although all the dialog was English, I think it may have been a Yugoslav movie because the names of the cast seemed mainly slavic.

So, you're right. The Allies are special forces who have the element of surprise. However, the conflict in these movies seems to last for a couple of days and the element of surprise should only last for several minutes up to perhaps a couple of hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield 2
The problem with most of this film list is, some of it is pure fiction, while other films have been made for the box office with scant attention to the historical facts of the battles. Most of these should be treated just as entertainment.
You're perfeclty right. Of course I'm not advocating that these movies should be banned or anything. But people should somehow be made aware that they are made mainly for entertainment purpose and not for historical accuracy.

Apparently, from what I hear in the German media, until today British people obtain the most "knowledge" about Germany from WW2 movies and from their GCSE history course about Nazi Germany.

This cannot however be applied to the British people I met at a British University I went to for 3 years. I'm not sure how much they really knew about contemporaryGermany but they assumed that it's a lot like Britain or other western European countries.

Sorry folks, I've gone a bit off-topic here
November 20th, 2005  
LeEnfield

Mohmar.....I have never suggested that these films should be banned, but just put in the right context, and that is entertainment