World War 2 Aircraft purchasing

EagleZtrike

Do you guys know where there are world war 2 airworthy aircraft being sold.

If you have a link to a website that has info on this can you post it.

Thet get sold off all over the place, mosy of them have one big price tag on them. A WW2 Spitfire will sell for about a Million Sterling

I think there are a few P-38's under the ice in Greenland you can recover for cheaper than buying one. :lol:

I'd love to own a P-38, TBD-1, or a PBY Catalina. :D

Arclight.....yes i saw that programe about recovring those planes from under the ice in Greenland. Just how far had they sunk into the ice, I think it was about 100 feet down and took them over two years to get to the plane. The ice had started to crush them with it's weight and took ages to get the plane back into flying order.

LeEnfield said:
Arclight.....yes i saw that programe about recovring those planes from under the ice in Greenland. Just how far had they sunk into the ice, I think it was about 100 feet down and took them over two years to get to the palne. The ice had started to crush them with it's weight and took ages to get the plane back into flying order.

Yea, it was quite amazing.

Check Warbirds Magazine. I sometimes see ads there. I have also seen a few on Ebay. I hope your brought your wallet for a WWII fighter starts at about $400,000 and goes way up.

mmarsh said:
Check Warbirds Magazine. I sometimes see ads there. I have also seen a few on Ebay. I hope your brought your wallet for a WWII fighter starts at about $400,000 and goes way up.

yea Warbirds is the best way to go

old planes

There are world war II planes around, but they cost big bucks, guzzle gas and usually require a tame mechanic in residence. If you havent just won the lottery, best bet is to buy on of the trainers available. Try to get a T-28. big radial, does over 300, and doesn't cost a fortune.

the average human cannot afford a P-51 mustang, but, you can build one. There are plans available, if you have the guts and the skill, to build 2/3 or 3/4 scale mustangs. Some even have provisions to use V-8 auto engines. Though not as fast, they look and fly just like the real thing. Most countries allow homebuilts from approved plans. Buy a homebuilders magazine or check out the web.

I'd like to have a ME-109 aka BF-109, the boxy look of the German fighters has an appeal to me. It was also a very nice aircraft. Having a Russian fighter would be cool, also.

The Japanese planes kind of sucked, the only reason they were a threat is because they didn't have any armor, and were fast. In many cases, however, the American fighters were faster than the zero.

I would LOVE to have a spitfire, it's a beautiful aircraft

Have a look at www.stormbirds.com very interesting site. They are in the process of re manufacturing 5 ME 262's and restoring a ME 109 and a FW 190.

Cost of aircraft vary on their airworthyness. Zero time airframes cost the most. You might be lucky and find something that belong or was used by some small poor country. I saw a F4U Corsair in a local workshop getting refitted that the owner had picked up from just such a place. It was going to cost him 1mil to have the engine rebuilt and another mil by the time the airframe was up to speed.

Duxford in the UK has a very good collection and the Confederate Air Force in the US also has a very good collection

Back