World of Tanks

mmarsh

Anyone else playing the new MMO, World of Tanks? I am currently playing it, its pretty fun. Its a 1st/3rd person shooter with strong RPG elements in it.

1. Its free to play. But you can spend $$$ to get premium tanks and accessories.

2. There are 150 vehicles from the USA, Germany and Russia. French, British, and Japanese tanks will be added soon. (Some French Tanks are already in the game but under the German tech tree.)

3. The Vehicles are divided between Light, Medium, Heavy, Tank Destroyer and Self propelled artillary. Each class has a different role.

Lights - Recon, Spotting and Fast attack against weaker targets like Artillary.

Medium - A balance between Speed, Armour and Firepower. Used to flank the enemy and support the heavies.

Heavy - Front Line Main battle Tank. Tough and Powerful, but slow and can be easily knocked out if they are caught on the sides or rear.

Tank Destroyers - Lack a Turret but they are very accurate at long range, and can hide in camouflage ("sniper" class). Other plus/minus depend on the actual vehicle, some pack a huge gun (IS-152) some have monstrous armor (Ferdinand) and others are speedy and have a low profile (Hetzer). US Tank Destroyers are not yet implemented (soon we are told).

Self Propelled Artillery - long range indirect fire support over an area. Can fire without LOS.

1. All Tanks can be equipped with different engines, armor, guns, radios, tracks, etc. which must researched (spending XP) and then purchased (spending credits). Some Tanks have special abilities/attributes. Like armored skirts. Tank Crews also gain experience and when they become experts can learn special abilities.

I have currently commanding a PZ.II Auf F and a Jadspanzer I while I am trying farm enough cash to buy a FuG VII Radio (increases spotting range) for my Pz.II and eventually a Marder.II Tank Destroyer.

Incidentally, one thing thats cool is that all tanks a viable. It is possible for a weaker vehicle to destroy a more powerful one, if the right tactics are used.

For example, in one Scenario my Tier II Jagdpanzer firing from a stationary camouflaged position upon a ridge destroyed a Hetzer (a Tier IV TD). My Jz.I was equipped with a 50mm gun (the biggest that can be mounted on a Jz.I) but it never would have never penetrated the frontal armor of the Hetzer, so I waited until I had her flank. My shot disabled her tracks rendering her immobile. Two more to her chassis brewed her up. It was a perfect ambush and although she never spotted me though I got knocked out a second later by a second Hetzer who did. He had managed to sneak up to me at close range while I was finishing off my target. My paper thin armor wasn't up to the task of resisting a single hit of a 75mm or 105mm the Hetzer carries.

Another 50,000 Credits get me a Pz.III AUF or a Marder.II (I am thinking the Marder, better suited to my style of play).

Umm why are 2 German vehicles Jagdpanzer I and Hetzer) shooting at each other?

At the moment, the teams are divided between Red and Blue so each side can have Russian, German, and US Vehicles fighting side by side. This is done to make sure there is proper team balance. Making sure the teams are balanced is always tricky in PVP based MMOs, unbalanced teams have been the end of many an MMO.

However, (the game has only been live 1 week) the devs have said that they will be recreating famous battles of WWII, and in these scenarios they will be a strict observation of military organizations.

Last edited:
Yes well I finally tried it and I could grow to like it but it is probably the least understandable game I have run into yet.

I was gonna give it a try but had doubts when I read this. Lol. But I think I'll give it a try anyways.

In terms of the combat side of the game it is pretty easy but the tank development side of the game has next to no documentation and tends to get annoying.

I love the game but I wish they had made aspects of it a little clearer.

In terms of the combat side of the game it is pretty easy but the tank development side of the game has next to no documentation and tends to get annoying.

I love the game but I wish they had made aspects of it a little clearer.

Aw. They could have made it clearer with proper documentation. A confusing game tends to get frustrating. You just can't figure everything out all by yourself.

Very true however the game is a lot of fun especially when you get further into the tank trees, currently I am working my way down the German light tank line and aren't too far from the VK2801.

*sigh* Wonder when I will get enough spare time to try that out. Been swamped with work lately so I can barely find the time to relax. But I will definitely try it out. Lol.

Surprisingly you can enjoy the game even with just the free content, which surprised me because usually these games sucker you in with "free" gameplay only to reveal the fact that you will only be competitive after buying in game credits in very real out game currency.

Surprisingly you can enjoy the game even with just the free content, which surprised me because usually these games sucker you in with "free" gameplay only to reveal the fact that you will only be competitive after buying in game credits in very real out game currency.

There is one aspect of the game I don't like though and that is that no matter which of the German light tanks you buy it appears that the best configuration involves replacing the turret with a 20mm one.

It kind of annoys me that the larger calibre weapons at least up to 50mm are almost useless.

Back