World Series?????????????????

LIPS

From when I was a young man I always wondered why the World Series was called the World Series when only American teams seem to contest it.

If any of you guys/girls can shed some light it would be helpfull.

this was discussed briefly in another thread. but it might have began as an american sport, but the players are international. there are players from canada, japan, puerto rico, cuba, the us. the list goes on.

So the teams are American but the players are drawn from other countries would that be correct???

well there are canadian teams too. there used to be two, but we're down to one next season. but yes, the teams are american, but the players are from all over the place.

scott.moore said:
From when I was a young man I always wondered why the World Series was called the World Series when only American teams seem to contest it.
Its because to the US there is no world outside the US of A :roll:

;)

redcoat said:
Its because to the US there is no world outside the US of A :roll:

;)
I realize you're joking, so I'm not going to take it seriously ;)

But sports, like math, is an international language. I'm sure the MLB (Major League Baseball) would accept more international teams into the league. But don't forget that sports has also become a business and it's expensive to transport teams and equipment across the ocean. A perfect example is the simple fact that Hawaii doesn't have a professional team. They're part of the US, but it's too expensive to maintain a team and have to transport the team and equipment into the continental US during every road game.

Besides, it'd be nice to see some international play. It'll probably humble a few baseball teams in the US. Look at the Olympics, Cuba tends to kick everyones ass when they play. But at the same time, those kids only spend 1 hr a day in school and play baseball till sunset. With that much practice you'd better have a good team.

Back