Who Is the World’s Worst Dictator?

phoenix80

Banned
There are more than 70 countries ruled by dictators who exercise arbitrary authority over their citizens and who cannot be removed from power through legal means. These tyrants suppress the freedoms of speech and religion, and the right to a fair trial. Some also commit torture, execute opponents and starve their own people. PARADE's annual list is drawn in part on reports from Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, Reporters Without Borders and the U.S. State Department.

Notably, there are two leaders who did not make this year's list: Saparmurat Niyazov of Turkmenistan, No. 8 last year, died in December; and Fidel Castro, No. 15, relinquished power in Cuba to his brother Raul on July 31. Among the newcomers are Hosni Mubarak of Egypt and Vladimir Putin of Russia. Some who moved up in rank are Iran's Ayatollah Khamenei, Hu Jintao of China, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia and Bashar al-Assad of Syria. But by no means does this indicate that those whom they passed showed improvements.

Click on the names below to read more about the tyrants on our 2007 list and share your comments.

01-Omar-al-Bashir_sm.jpg
1) Omar al-Bashir, Sudan

02-Kim-Jong-il_sm.jpg
2) Kim Jong-il, North Korea

03-Sayyid-Ali-KhamEnei_sm.jpg
3) Sayyid Ali KhamEnei, Iran

04-Hu-Jintao_sm.jpg
4) Hu Jintao, China

05-King-Abdullah_sm.jpg
5) King Abdullah, Saudi Arabia

06-Than-Shwe_sm.jpg
6) Than Shwe, Burma (Myanmar)
07-Robert-Mugabe_sm.jpg
7) Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe
08-Islam-Karimov_sm.jpg
Islam Karimov, Uzbekistan

http://www.parade.com/opencms/opencms/articles/editions/2007/edition_02-11-2007/Dictators

Definately Sudan's, I mean, whoever can ignore people being slaughtered is horrible.

But number 14 looks like he could be hitler's son :lol:

I counted 5 as US allies, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Pakistan, China and Russia. I also think 5.56 isn't totally wrong, If Fidel or Chavez arnt on the list they are certainly 'runners up' catagory. I mean Castro has killed more people than Putin, but there are still elections Russia, at least in theory.

I guess this post is just for present day dictators? Do we already have a thread on "best dictator ever"?

Majority of these dictators, however, are EU trading partners.
What do you exactly mean by this? Are you suggesting that we are the only hypocrites in the world?

I guess this post is just for present day dictators? Do we already have a thread on "best dictator ever"?

What do you exactly mean by this? Are you suggesting that we are the only hypocrites in the world?

Yep! European governments are known to be hypocrites and oppressed people of the world hate European governments way more than you can begin to imagine.

Whats the best dictator? You always make us laugh by such suggestions

Last edited:
IMHO....mugabe without a doubt

I agree, if I had to pick the single worst, its Robert Mugabe. I know our far-right friends like to mention the latin American communist trifecta (Castro-Chavez-Morales) but Mugabe is much worse. The largest difference is 'the trifecta' have done a few things well in Latin America whereas Robert Mugabe the country as just collapsed under his leadership.

You cannot beat this formula:

Take the most fertile ground in the African continent, (Zimbabwe was a huge grain exporter which ran its large economy). Add a racist, unfair, unwise, and totally corrupt land redistribution program that puts Zimbabwe Agriculture in the hands of murderous armed thugs who cannot even spell their own name while driving the educated (mostly white) population out of the country.

The result: Within 2-3 years the whole country nosedives into poverty and starves. And worse, this was done deliberately. As Mugabe uses starvation as a method to control the population (and subsequently is own grasp on power).

Last edited:
A skeleton list created by a amateur who did not carefully examine the political structure of some of the countries listed above, information based on half-truths and speculations, and also the creators of www.parade.com cannot understand of what it is to be to become a true "dictator". Someone is obviously confused about the difference between a Dictatorial Absolutist Government to an Authoritarian one Party state.

Nevertheless, the "research" and list has no indications or determination of a ranking system, also shows a strong anti-Communist/anti-Iran bias along with a Neo-con agenda. Some of the countries who are listed on the bottom should be listed on the top, quite notably Mr.Than Shwe of Myanmar and Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe. The level of their crimes and involvement far exceeds that of Mr. Hu Jintao, who is oddly listed as #4 due to the contradictions that his authority only reaches that of the military and his executive power must be voted upon and must be done with the consent of other top members of the politburo in order to proceed. Lastly, Putin does not carry the title of Dictator or supreme ruler of Russia as his tenure expires in 2008 therefore his name should never ever be on the list.

I do not believe in any of this nonsense.

Last edited:
Back