World Cup

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
The greatest sporting event in the world is going on right now and there's no one talking about it?
The US managed to pull off a massive result today FFS. 1-1 against England. Lucky goal by Clint Dempsey but the US played with a lot of heart and with a never say die attitude. England thought it was easy, but today was anything but.

Brits say "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy"..... Bow to the soccer Gods.

capt.241d0076cca8481eb1dddf4a77166a73-241d0076cca8481eb1dddf4a77166a73-0.jpg

Oh and shots on goal... 18-12...hmmm.1812 ... War of 1812.... wasn't that a tie as well?

I think the US team was very lucky. Englands attack was pretty strong.
The US put up a spirited defence let down a little by some poor onfield communication.
Good result though and interesting to see how the both go in the next round.

Oh boy, just finished watching the 4-0 execution of Australia by Germany. The longest 90 minutes in Socceroos history...

I thought Germany has a pretty damn good team, even better WITHOUT Michael Balack.

Another team to Watch.

And the Germans play good positive football.
Unlike dirty Italian football.
Unlike sh1te French football.
Unlike underachieving English football.

Loved the way my dad texted it to me while watching it with friends... "When you buy the tickets, sometimes you win the lottery." Sums up our match with England quite nicely. LOL

I really wish RSA would've won their game. Mphela HAD that goal. I think that funky ball (come on, someone had to bring it up) is what did it.

Ghana squeaked out their 3 points. That was... Rough. Heh.

Germany absolutely RAPED Australia. That one was really painful to watch.

South Korea looked good against Greece.

Another team to watch is the Netherlands, I believe they play their first game tonight, I am going to the UK tonight so I will miss it.:crybaby:

Come to think of it, I think they are playing Norway, well since thats the land that gave us Redleg, Ill root for Norway.

Missed the game - unbelievable. Still it is symptomatic of our England team to get complacent, supported by a fiercely partisan press, which lauds them as heroes for drawing against the Faroe Isles!!!

That said kudos to Team USA, England were the favourites and Team USA rose to the occaision and upset the apple cart, must be something to do with the fact that 8 of the USA squad play in the Premier Div.

As for 1812 thing, a sound strategic and tactical appreciation was made by mad King George and he decided that the colonies could be held by a badger and a rat named Toby, if they could'nt hold them, the colonies weren't worth holding - they drowned on the voyage over.

Fingers crossed that we do actually get to see the Lions unleashed and not the "donkeys" frolicking.

Well, it's a drop in the bucket when you look at the money they spent on their stadiums. But yes, new, the balls cost $150 US dollars. Course, I'm sure they get some special deal since Addidas has a commercial slot in EVERY half time of the World Cup.

That ball is a piece of you-know-what. I can't believe anyone would actually pay for that thing. I have a Baden soccer ball that's a lot cheaper, but hella better. Just sayin'. ;)

I just got back from London 20 minutes from a business trip (My company is based in Central London). All I can say is that my British colleagues at work were rather pessemic about Englands chances. There was a great deal of support however, there were Saint George's Cross Flags EVERYWHERE. Two things the British care about Beer and football I got plenty of both whilst I was there..

I actually kidding a colleague of mine who was moaning the fact he would have to work his shift the day of the quarterfinals -I told him not to worry by then he wouldnt care anymore...lol

Aint I a stinker? :)

My favorite sign while I was in London last summer was "No team jerseys on game days" outside of a pub. I LOVE!!! how passionate they are about football.

Good jab on him, too, mmarsh. Hehehe.

Had a good day of action today in South Africa. . . New Zealand ties with Slovakia for a point a piece, Ivory Coast hangs on for the draw with Portugal (PLEASE tell me someone saw all those shitty dives from Ronaldo. That man doesn't deserve to play for a national football team.), and Brazil hands North Korea its first loss 2-1.

Tomorrow I'm not too excited about the first two matches, but South Africa and Uruguay should be one hell of a game. I'm rooting for Bafana Bafana, personally. Those boys have won me over.

You could also say; Greece was absolutely rubbish.

Portugal and Ivory Coast were in pretty bad shape as well...

The Dutch won because of a lucky own goal...

Brasil didn't look so hot against North Korea..

In short; I haven't seen anything yet that really pleased me. (I must admit I missed Germany's game against Australia;)

Back