World Cup

I'm not sure what opinion you disagree with, I thought you agreed with me (we need video evidence to avoid bias) or is it compulsory not to agree with me to the point of forgetting you just did!

I will take video evidence or similar (Hawkeye) over the opinions of any 'experts' this should be straightforward.

Incidentaly the US got through to the next round, and the Mali referee was removed, this was far more than England got against the hand of God!

The US - Algeria match was one of the most intense matches of the World Cup.
Fully deserved for the USMNT. If they didn't go through, it would have been highway robbery. They had all sorts of referee calls go against them and their spirit and determination pulled them through eventually.
USA 1-0 Referees.
It is (and has been for the last 15+ years) a heavily discussed way FIFA choses their referees: So far they are aand hve been distributed by a key over all nations, mking way even for refs where the legue still is plyed with coconuts (sorry, demagogically twisted).

My and many other people takes is that only the best refs should lead WC matches, but this is not going to happen in the aera of Mr. Blatter/Mr. Platini, who´s corrupt money making machine relies almost completely on the (easy to bribe) third world delegates (for details: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/issues/story/0,,676083,00.html).

Live with it, or pressure your federation.

Good Luck today for SK nd US, my more general take nd predictions on things here: http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/th...outh-africa-wc-2010-thread/msg14611/#msg14611

Rattler

It was a good game but the South Korean coach should learn for the MILLIONTH TIME that you cannot go on defending only and expect not to concede goals especially if your center backs are your team's weakness.

Don't be sour.
This is so typical of folks who don't know the first thing about soccer. The USMNT did VERY well. They qualified out of a tough group and fought hard against a very fast Ghana side that surprised everyone by putting out a performance they had not managed in the group stage. The game started off badly, the US side were taken by surprise, but they found their composure, fought on, managed to score a goal... but you know, that's life.

It's like the South Korea "fans" who are berating some of the players after the match with Uruguay. I thought, except for that one defensive mistake that led to the first goal, it was definitely a good effort. The man mainly responsible for the loss was the coach.

Uruguay's a great team. And the Ghana team was the U20 champions of the world not too long ago.
Give your team some credit.

Well I will stick by the argument that the New Zealand team did far better than anyone in the country ever expected of them, that being said I didn't give a flying rats arse about soccer 2 weeks ago and I doubt I will care about it 2 weeks from now.

I really do see the sport losing ground world wide though unless it can get the piss poor refereeing and bad acting under control, if I wanted either of these I would just watch the WWE as it is all over in less than an hour.

Anyway my two favourite teams Germany and Brazil are still in the contest so I am happy.

Germany are England's old enemy in Football, the tabloids in both countries have been going for the jugular. Franz Beckenbauer was slagging off England a week ago, now he has changed his tune, although he still thinks Germany will win on penalties (he knows we have a chip on the shoulder on this). It's often a draw and England get beat on penalties, we will see.

Last edited:
It's official... I won't give a s:cen:t about soccer for 4 more years......

Typical, anything you don't win you ignore, by that measure we wouldn't be into any sports!

No referee to blame this time? Ever heard of the term bad sport? it means gracious in defeat. UK viewers voted Maradonna's second goal (after his hand of God) as the best ever as he dribbled around the entire England team!

I recall after a few defeats in the Ryder cup the advertisers were threatening to go AWOL.

THE US did very well given the low profile of the men's sport relative to US football, baseball and basketball. However Football (Soccer) will remain a Cinderella sport in the US due to the continuous nature of the game, that is no frequent breaks, so no time for adverts! Same problem with Formula 1. When an advertising channel took it over here they seemed to miss everything. The high definition viewers missed a goal in this World Cup as well due to an advert, dismissed as a technical problem!

The US are rated 14 prior to the world cup so getting into the last 16 is about right. Although Ghana was rated 32.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

The African teams are sleeping giants individually, very talented but rarely able to put it together. I have seen Nigeria and Ivory Coast play as well as Brazil for periods, but have performed poorly overall.

Last edited:
Hey, it's great when teams win, and sucks when they lose. However, I am not a regular soccer watcher, but since it was on a world stage, I watched. It is just our culture. We aren't big into soccer as the rest of the world. For all of the other nations that are represented on IMF... good luck..

Still bitter about that eh? hehe.
Well in 66, that England goal may not have been a goal at all. ;)

Hurst's shot in 66 was about 6cm short of a goal but was allowed and England went on to win 4-2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__MJV11nRqU

This time Lampard's almost identical style 'goal' did the same thing and Germany wins 4-1, Spooky Heh? This time the only difference was it was well inside the line and should have been allowed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNE48UTRcm0

However, I don't blame the officials, except for not appointing a Russian ;) they can't be everywhere. If anyone is at fault for these decisions it is the FIFA decision not to have a video referee or an equivalent of hawkeye.

Germany deserve to win this anyway through their Blitzkrieg breaks which had England in tatters.

I feel sorry the the England fans who spent so much getting there, but at least I might get some sleep tonight now ;)

Last edited:
Hey, it's great when teams win, and sucks when they lose. However, I am not a regular soccer watcher, but since it was on a world stage, I watched. It is just our culture. We aren't big into soccer as the rest of the world. For all of the other nations that are represented on IMF... good luck..

Who needs soccer if you're world champions at sports that no one else plays? :lol:

Well the result sucked, but I believe it was fair, regardless of the goal being disallowed, a supposedly national team with heart and pride let their heads drop and failed to compete - well done Germany.

The English FA now has a lot of soul searching to do, yes we can ***** about the lack of technology, but that doesn't change the result, play the hand you got guys!!

I think that in England we actually need to step back and stop picking prima donnas, we should be looking to build a team that will play together, not one that is full of easily bruised egos which need to be coddled together.

As for the players complaining -deal with it - you are professionals, act like it, deal with it, but first and foremost put a bit of passion and effort into what you do, but don't ***** that you collected the pay cheque, but not a cakewalk.

Must stop now as I'm building up a head of steam against a bunch of overpaid, arrogant social parasites who have forgotten that they are privileged and paid to perform.

The man for the job is Guus Hiddink.
But not even he is stupid enough to take the England job.
Your Press is the main problem.

Hey I'm a champion under water basket weaver!!!! I also rock at dodgeball. Dodging a soldier however.....only if he's not in camo. Camo mesmerizes me. :mrgreen:

The Basques are number one at Jai Alai.
The Koreans are number one at Taek Kyon.
Sadly for the Japanese, they got it all wrong with Sumo. :lol:

Hey sumo is........okay sumo is creepy. :p

So I haven't gotten to watch hardly any of the World Cup because of my crazy work schedule, but I'm told Argentina and Brazil are the teams to beat. Is this true or just an opinion? I have to decide who I'm going to cheer for now. :)

Argentina has outplayed and steamrollered everyone else so far.
Germany also look like a VERY strong team.
Brazil are getting the job done but they don't look as fabulous as they used to.
Spain are playing well but they have a tradition of underperforming in the World Cup.
Chile is looking like a very strong side as well. Many teams are struggling to deal with their pace.
Uruguay is playing a perfect counter attacking game and all of their three starting forwards are goal machines.
So it's still a very open World Cup.

Japanese dudes trying to get fat. That is never going to work.

Back