~World Cup 2006

Insight said:
Well said. As someone -- an American even -- who is quite passionate about the World Cup, this essay brought tears to my eyes. It's sad to see such an important event under the guidance of this sort of tyranny.

Thanks. This is exactly what I meant.

msgtmedleyusmc said:
Red blooded American kids give up soccer in junior high or high school at the latest. I don't think it is going to challenge the NHL for fourth place. It needs more action--especially scoring--and can't end in 0-0 ties for it to be big in 'Merica.

Lacrosse has a better chance and will probably eclipse it even with the younguns in a few years.

ummm you are wrong....

American sports lack in that it is America versus America, whereas in soccer it's country versus country and that makes it A LOT more interesting to watch. There's more to a game then goals and tackles, it's the history behind the two teams and everything that is riding on it.

Another point to make is that the leagues in America have no other leagues. Like once you make it to the NFL, you are in the NFL. No teams get moved up or down and then you have teams that just don't care anymore about THIS season but are preparing for the NEXT season and lose to get draft players and what not....that is not exciting.

782.matt said:
ummm you are wrong....

American sports lack in that it is America versus America, whereas in soccer it's country versus country and that makes it A LOT more interesting to watch. There's more to a game then goals and tackles, it's the history behind the two teams and everything that is riding on it.

Another point to make is that the leagues in America have no other leagues. Like once you make it to the NFL, you are in the NFL. No teams get moved up or down and then you have teams that just don't care anymore about THIS season but are preparing for the NEXT season and lose to get draft players and what not....that is not exciting.

Not getting personal, 782.matt, but I find this statement rather smug and pretentious. You have written it as though it is a fact when it is merely your opinion. The fact is, America is one huge country made up of many states so our cities and states compete. If you don't find Football and its processes exciting and interesting, fine. Most people in this country love Football and many follow it religiously. Believe me, they aren't missing you, chief.

Well if lads are not to drunk or high on drugs or have been out night clubbing to the early hours of the morning, or to busy arranging their next transfer, well might just get some where

Back