Work Out, Tell Me What You Think.

FutureMedic

M/W/F:

4x8 Bench- 135IBS (I also do burnouts frequently)

Curls- 75IBS

Free Weight Curls: 25IBS weights

LAT Pull downs: 50IBS

Military Press: 95IBS

Pull Up Max: 12

Ab wheel: Failure (15-20)

T/Th:

4x8 Squat: 185IBS

4x8 Dead Lift: 245IBS

4x8 Calf Raises: 325IBS (machine)

Power/Hang Cleans: 135IBS

Everyday: Run 1.5-2 miles.

Height: 69"

Body Weight: 140IBS

If you guys have any tips on how to improve my workout please post them. These are the main lifts I utilize during my workouts.

Here is my opinion based off my experience and just the way I do things...

First, you will never take a PT test on bench press or calf raises, nor will you be asked to curl your rucksack. Strength is important, but endurance is more so.

Focus on the basics... work on your push ups and your sit ups and absolutely your run. In reality you dont need a weight set to work out.

Do regular push ups, diamonds, wide arm, and the bouncing ball. Then do slow count push ups, inverted push ups, and inclined push ups. Focus on your form before trying for quantity. You could do a 1,000 push ups and if the form is not right, you will be a no-go.

Do sit-ups, crunches, rockies, flutter kicks, leg lifts, leg spreaders, and oblique sit ups then move on to weighted sit ups. Dont use that machine junk either, hold a weight (preferably a medicine ball) on your head and do not move it while sitting up. Do slow sit ups and crunches in order to get the inverse too.

Run... well run. Dont run every day unless you are trying to maintain your run. If you are trying to improve, which you should always be, run every other day. Some days do distance, others do sprints (30:60s work best for me), or do a mix where you do like 2 miles and sprint 10s and run 60.

Stretching is VERY important too. On your off days, do a half hour of stretches. Make sure you hit every group in your stretching routine too, even on days where you work other muscle groups. Make sure you hold for a good amount of time and dont rush through stretches. Also, dont stretch a cold muscle. Do a warm up jog of a 1/4 to 1/2 mile and then stretch. Then hit it and come back for a cool down and stretch.

Every thing comes down to you and how much you want to take away from your workout. Put 100% into it and you will reap the rewards in the future, military or civilian. Be smart and listen to your body. Be sure to eat right too, none of that binge on pizza and mountain dew and then drink protein shakes and multivitamins. Eat healthy and mix it up.

Hopes this helps.

increase the distance on the run 3 times a week. shoot for 3-5 miles over time. once you are at that distance, work on speed.

wake up at 4am, feed cattle, horses, chickens, milk cows. tend to goats, and chase after any thing that got away over night, at 5am eat breakfast of 2 eggs, 5 strips of bacon, 2 pieces of toast, and a glass of milk, 6am start work in garden, till all weeds under weather or not their actually there. 7am be at school for 8 hours. eat a good lunch of chicken fried steak and pudding, with peas, greens, and corn bread (yes that was a school lunch in my day) be home at 3:30, chop wood, about 2 cords should do it for the day, stack the wood you just chopped next to the back door so you wont have as far to go in the morning. feed cattle, horses chickens and all other animals again, milk cows for evening milk 6pm, eat supper, usually some version of beef with greens again green beans and cornbread, ( better at home cause your mom made it), 7pm suns still up, go work the fields a little more to get ahead on tomorrows work load. 9pm make sure all the chickens are in the coop, and the gates are all shut. put all dads farm equipment back ion barn for him since you had an 8 hour break between chores ( remember that thing called school ). Come in by 10pm, suns down now, take a bath, start home work, finish homework as soon as possible, be in bed nlt 12pm. Wake up at 4am again tomorrow,

repeat above for 13 years

trust me thats about all you'll need.
want a summer workout program?

wake up at 4am, feed cattle, horses, chickens, milk cows. tend to goats, and chase after any thing that got away over night, at 5am eat breakfast of 2 eggs, 5 strips of bacon, 2 pieces of toast, and a glass of milk, 6am start work in garden, till all weeds under weather or not their actually there. 7am be at school for 8 hours. eat a good lunch of chicken fried steak and pudding, with peas, greens, and corn bread (yes that was a school lunch in my day) be home at 3:30, chop wood, about 2 cords should do it for the day, stack the wood you just chopped next to the back door so you wont have as far to go in the morning. feed cattle, horses chickens and all other animals again, milk cows for evening milk 6pm, eat supper, usually some version of beef with greens again green beans and cornbread, ( better at home cause your mom made it), 7pm suns still up, go work the fields a little more to get ahead on tomorrows work load. 9pm make sure all the chickens are in the coop, and the gates are all shut. put all dads farm equipment back ion barn for him since you had an 8 hour break between chores ( remember that thing called school ). Come in by 10pm, suns down now, take a bath, start home work, finish homework as soon as possible, be in bed nlt 12pm. Wake up at 4am again tomorrow,

repeat above for 13 years

trust me thats about all you'll need.
want a summer workout program?

A summer workout program would be great!

Ok you asked for it.
Summer workout program: everything listed for the regular workout program with one exception, replace the 8 hours of school with either 8 hours of cutting down trees, plowing a few fields, mending 2000 feet of barbed wire fence (complete with a electric fence). or you can always re roof the barn with the old ribbed steel panels. Oh and remember to take the wheel barrow out for bout 3 - or 4 hours, and fill it mounded full, and push it half a mile to dump the rocks in the old ditch that your filling little by little.

Yea 13 years of that. and at work they wonder why a 45 year old man with arthritis can out work 3 20 year olds, that live at the gym on their off time.

Ok you asked for it.
Summer workout program: everything listed for the regular workout program with one exception, replace the 8 hours of school with either 8 hours of cutting down trees, plowing a few fields, mending 2000 feet of barbed wire fence (complete with a electric fence). or you can always re roof the barn with the old ribbed steel panels. Oh and remember to take the wheel barrow out for bout 3 - or 4 hours, and fill it mounded full, and push it half a mile to dump the rocks in the old ditch that your filling little by little.

Yea 13 years of that. and at work they wonder why a 45 year old man with arthritis can out work 3 20 year olds, that live at the gym on their off time.

Unfortunately, my job is going to limit me down to running, push-ups, and sit-ups.

what job is that?
you know a job can be considered exercise too, depending on what kind of work it is

what job is that?
you know a job can be considered exercise too, depending on what kind of work it is

I will be working with younger kids (10-13) outdoors, teaching them skills like tent pitching and fire-starting. We will go on hikes, but not long ones. I will be working all day, everyday for 8 weeks, which leaves me little time for PT.

Here is my opinion based off my experience and just the way I do things...

First, you will never take a PT test on bench press or calf raises, nor will you be asked to curl your rucksack. Strength is important, but endurance is more so.

Focus on the basics... work on your push ups and your sit ups and absolutely your run. In reality you dont need a weight set to work out.

Do regular push ups, diamonds, wide arm, and the bouncing ball. Then do slow count push ups, inverted push ups, and inclined push ups. Focus on your form before trying for quantity. You could do a 1,000 push ups and if the form is not right, you will be a no-go.

Do sit-ups, crunches, rockies, flutter kicks, leg lifts, leg spreaders, and oblique sit ups then move on to weighted sit ups. Dont use that machine junk either, hold a weight (preferably a medicine ball) on your head and do not move it while sitting up. Do slow sit ups and crunches in order to get the inverse too.

Run... well run. Dont run every day unless you are trying to maintain your run. If you are trying to improve, which you should always be, run every other day. Some days do distance, others do sprints (30:60s work best for me), or do a mix where you do like 2 miles and sprint 10s and run 60.

Stretching is VERY important too. On your off days, do a half hour of stretches. Make sure you hit every group in your stretching routine too, even on days where you work other muscle groups. Make sure you hold for a good amount of time and dont rush through stretches. Also, dont stretch a cold muscle. Do a warm up jog of a 1/4 to 1/2 mile and then stretch. Then hit it and come back for a cool down and stretch.

Every thing comes down to you and how much you want to take away from your workout. Put 100% into it and you will reap the rewards in the future, military or civilian. Be smart and listen to your body. Be sure to eat right too, none of that binge on pizza and mountain dew and then drink protein shakes and multivitamins. Eat healthy and mix it up.

Hopes this helps.

:dive:
There are some good advice in here.

A few extras if you haven´t thought of it.

Your runs are too short, do atleast one longer run a week to work on your core endurance.
Then for a real work out, find the steepest, longest hill in your area and run up it, repeat if neccesary.

Don´t forget to build core strength.
Flutterkicks and sit ups are good exercises to do.

If you are going on hikes with the kids.
Stretch them out over time.
Pack a ruck with heavy stuff and carry it with you.
Sort of combining work with pleasure, because exercise is pleasure..

As Spartacus said though, you´ll never get more out of PT then what you put into every program and every exercise..

Good luck preparing.
//KJ.

Not a bad workout schedule. My advice would be to bench more than your body weight, and focus on endurance and lots of pushups/ab work. The rest of your regimen is pretty sound.

So far all the workout regiments will take too long, just move to a farm, and work it. within 3 years you'll be able to hang out with me and my buddies when we play hard.

So far all the workout regiments will take too long, just move to a farm, and work it. within 3 years you'll be able to hang out with me and my buddies when we play hard.

Unfortunately, where I live the Mexican population dominates the farm-working business.

While working a farm is one way to achieve a type of fitness, I am assuming it does little to build cardiovascular endurance.

If you are looking for a way to get fit for the military, especially for the first time, and particularly for infantry type jobs, I would recommend hold with what you got. Moving as a way to achieve fitness does not sound practical.

LMAO wish I'd had that option when I was your age. Man I'm 44 now will be 45 in May and I can still bench more than I weigh.

Back