Wood.....Bullets.....???

--

November 7th, 2004  
mdvaden

Topic: Wood.....Bullets.....???

One book I was reading - twice - the past few years was MARINE regarding General L. B. Puller.

In that book, within chapters covering combat on Gualdalcanal, is mention of wood bullets.

The book indicates that the wood bullets were used by the Japanese agaiinst the US front lines, with a purpose to reduce injury to Japanese soldiers that infiltrated US forces.

Are any of you familiar with this?

Do any samples survive in collections?

Would wood tipped ammunition still have a purpose now?

Thanks.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon
http://www.mdvaden.com
November 7th, 2004  
SHERMAN

I would like to see sources about that two. My brain tells me that the wood would not survive the firing...
November 7th, 2004  
mdvaden

It may depend on the wood.

I know cedar (Thuja) like western red cedar is fairly soft and delicate.

On the other hand, wood like dogwood was crafted with wooden threaded parts according to a Saturday morning wood craft show - the one where the guy uses all the old hand tools.

I think the sample was a stool seat that spun to raise and lower.
--
November 10th, 2004  
AussieNick

I reckon the wood would shatter upon firing. I don't think it could possibly work.
November 10th, 2004  
egoz

They use those wooden riot control bullets. But they are fired from a 40mm grenade launcher and meant to be bounced off the ground.
November 11th, 2004  
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
I would like to see sources about that two. My brain tells me that the wood would not survive the firing...
I would think so to the amount of force aplied when the bullets fire would shatter the would but thats what i think anyway
November 11th, 2004  
mdvaden

Found this on a gunsmithing forum - I think regarding a Swedish Mauser:

Quote:
And there is ammo loaded with wooden bullets (for training) available cheap..
Then I found another web site advertising "Wood Bullets" - guess what - it's an ad for wood screws by that name.

This came up on a google search as a listing:

Quote:
Later, in Richard Tregaskis's Guadalcanal Diary, he talked about the fact that troops
believed the Japanese used wooden bullets,
But the posting was no longer available.

Found this link:
http://www.trailblazersww2.org/wooden_bullets.htm

This was unique from a geneological data site:

Quote:
[Notes of visit with Lawrence Estes on August 31, 1997]

Was in the 7th Army Division. Called "Corlet Long Knives." Served at Aleutians, Hawaii, New Guinea.. A general wanted to make me a Lieutenant after the battle with Japanese at hospital but I wouldn't take it. Flew with "Jolly Roger" air crew to Australia. Went ashore in the Aleutians in a rubber boat; could see Japanese in compound; radioed information to landing troops; had an Apache Indian to talk to ship, he was killed after the landing. Was on shore three days before the landing. Was at Kwajalein, Philippines, Okinawa, and wounded three times, with wooden bullets,
November 11th, 2004  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden
Found this on a gunsmithing forum - I think regarding a Swedish Mauser:

Quote:
And there is ammo loaded with wooden bullets (for training) available cheap..
Wooden bullets does indeed work.
I've tried the wooden Mauser bullets you've mentioned myself some years ago.
But plastic bullets have taken over as cheaper and more reliable short range training ammo now.
November 12th, 2004  
Aaron

there would have to be little muzzle energy not to shatter the bullet most likely not a very powerfull gun.
Think of a 50cal with wooden bullets you'd have alot of sharpnel
November 12th, 2004  
mdvaden

It would be interesting to know what wood bullets are made of.

I cut a lot of trees in my work, and some wood is incredibly hard.

I'm not sure that all wood will splinter if shot - at least up to a certain velocity.

I'd imagine if some kind of buffer or wad was placed at the back to the bullet - it could make a difference.

I wonder how the effects would differ from a typical slug to a boat tail bullet.

A boat tail shape should have a pressure pushing not only outward on it, but inward on the tail end from all directions which should keep the base compressed.

Any theories on that idea?

I could see a wood bullet doing nasty filthy wounds if it did fracture when it struck someone.