Who won the debate of 9/30/04, Bush or Kerry?

Who won the debate?

• Kerry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bush

• Nobody Won

• Total voters
I think John Kerry showed more confidence than George W. Bush tonight. Kerry discussed most of the major points in great detail.

I believe that Bush has won this debate. He may not be as good of a speaker as Kerry, but in my opinion, he did well and stung Kerry pretty good.

Here is something what Kerry said:

And I believe that a fresh start, new credibility, a president who can understand what we have to do to reach out to the Muslim world to make it clear that this is not, you know -- Osama bin Laden uses the invasion of Iraq in order to go out to people and say that America has declared war on Islam.

And I quote GW:

My opponent just said something amazing. He said Osama bin Laden uses the invasion of Iraq as an excuse to spread hatred for America. Osama bin Laden isn't going to determine how we defend ourselves.

Osama bin Laden doesn't get to decide. The American people decide.

Plus, like Bush said, you can't lead this country to succeed in Iraq if you say wrong war, wrong time, wrong place. What message does that send our troops? What message does that send to our allies? What message does that send the Iraqis?

Here is Kerry's response to the question, "As president, what would you do, specifically, in addition to or differently to increase the homeland security of the United States than what President Bush is doing?"

KERRY: Let me tell you exactly what I'll do. And there are a long list of thing. First of all, what kind of mixed message does it send when you have $500 million going over to Iraq to put police officers in the streets of Iraq, and the president is cutting the COPS program in America?

What kind of message does it send to be sending money to open firehouses in Iraq, but we're shutting firehouses who are the first- responders here in America.

The president hasn't put one nickel, not one nickel into the effort to fix some of our tunnels and bridges and most exposed subway systems. That's why they had to close down the subway in New York when the Republican Convention was there. We hadn't done the work that ought to be done.

The president -- 95 percent of the containers that come into the ports, right here in Florida, are not inspected. Civilians get onto aircraft, and their luggage is X-rayed, but the cargo hold is not X- rayed.

Does that make you feel safer in America?

This president thought it was more important to give the wealthiest people in America a tax cut rather than invest in homeland security. Those aren't my values. I believe in protecting America first.

And long before President Bush and I get a tax cut -- and that's who gets it -- long before we do, I'm going to invest in homeland security and I'm going to make sure we're not cutting COPS programs in America and we're fully staffed in our firehouses and that we protect the nuclear and chemical plants.

The president also unfortunately gave in to the chemical industry, which didn't want to do some of the things necessary to strengthen our chemical plant exposure.

And there's an enormous undone job to protect the loose nuclear materials in the world that are able to get to terrorists. That's a whole other subject, but I see we still have a little bit more time.

Let me just quickly say, at the current pace, the president will not secure the loose material in the Soviet Union -- former Soviet Union for 13 years. I'm going to do it in four years. And we're going to keep it out of the hands of terrorists.

Bush's rebuttal:

LEHRER: Ninety-second response, Mr. President.

BUSH: I don't think we want to get to how he's going to pay for all these promises. It's like a huge tax gap. Anyway, that's for another debate.

I know a lot of you probably strongly disagree with me about Bush being the better man for the job, but I do not want to see Kerry elected president.

Reference: http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...,6102140.story?coll=ny-nationalnews-headlines

Although I am not, and WILL NOT support Kerry, nor vote for him, I believe that over-all he did better in this debate. He put Bush on the defensive....which does not come off well for anyone. Did he say anything special, NO....but he handled himself better and is more articulate.

It's just one debate. There are two more....and don't forget, Jim Lauer was the host on this one, which means he picked questions that would be beneficial for Kerry...no matter what anyone says, that was clear.

If memory serves, during the Gore/Bush presidential race, George W made a rather poor showing in the first debate. He did much better in the subsequent debates.

When will the other 2 debates take place?
Is there a site where I can read the transcript of this first one? Thanks guys.

I have to go with Courtenay on this one, I will never put a vote in for Kerry. He did appear to out do President Bush. He is a public speaker, he is a politician. President Bush is one of us, a good ole boy. He may not talk the talk but he can walk the walk.

Yea cause I want a president who may not be able to be a politician but as long as he is like me Ill vote for him. :rambo:

Back