Women of the military

Ladies of the Air

Here's some more legends...sorry about the song with it, couldn't be helped.

Last edited:
WRT the "Ladies of the Air" video -- looks like some of the ladies were celebrities that got media rides.

Here are the real Fighter Chicks (as they call themselves):

CFPA_nail.jpg

Full-resolution shot here: http://www.fighterchicks.com/images/CFPA.jpg

They're all b@d@$$, and they're all ridiculously attractive.

Last edited:
WRT the "Ladies of the Air" video -- looks like some of the ladies were celebrities that got media rides.

Here are the real Fighter Chicks (as they call themselves):

CFPA_nail.jpg

Full-resolution shot here: http://www.fighterchicks.com/images/CFPA.jpg

They're all b@d@$$, and they're all ridiculously attractive.

Yes, alot of people have been known to have had a media ride or two :). Respectfully one such example toward that point I can think of at the moment is that of one of my heroes (pictured below) Audie Murphy. This particular man can be seen in media as a Soldier and an Actor (oh and as a Country Music Composer too).

picture756.jpg

The use of Media is an interesting topic that you have brought to the fore here, and I must say I do appreciate you doing so, as I am also interested in the topic. So to me you may have found a tread topic to start of which I'd certainly participate in, if I had something of value I felt I could contribute.

Good pic you posted/linked there AJChenMPH, would like to say thank you for sharing. Also, this may be extremely blonde of me but I must admit, truthfully, I do not know what the intials 'WRT' stand for sorry. I think it's meaning is 'with respect there' or something similar like that? However, I do know what FYI stands for and athough I guess, not that you overly need to know right, but according to what was available to me most of the ladies seemed real fighter chick types as such yes, i.e. the last lady on screen is from the Brazilian Military.

Anyway respectfully again, enough from me hey, I appreciate your observation there and Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Audie Murphy was the real deal as they say............ gosh I saw one of his films the other day, classic movie, The Red Badge of Courage..........

Also, this may be extremely blonde of me but I must admit, truthfully, I do not know what the intials 'WRT' stand for sorry.
Oops, sorry. :oops: (You know you've been on active-duty too long when you use acronyms and just expect everyone to know what they mean.) WRT = "With Regard To".

Audie Murphy was the real deal as they say............ gosh I saw one of his films the other day, classic movie, The Red Badge of Courage..........

Mocco, definately one of the most outstanding real deals ever...I agree with you! I'm so happy to read your (as I do see it) enthusastic comment on the man also. Basically, I'd simply say, the kind of and range of Courage and Determination Murphy had (which can also be seen in the characters he played in his movies, also like the one you mentioned) has to be rich in the blood hey! :angel:

Oops, sorry. :oops:.

No need to be. We learn something new everyday right. I learnt something, so actually a thank you is in order, thank you. Also, I will be looking forward to a new media thread coming soon hey! 8)

(You know you've been on active-duty too long when you use acronyms and just expect everyone to know what they mean.) WRT = "With Regard To".

Now, lets see if I can use this right (bare in mind though I am not a fan of all things criptic...see can't even spell the damn thing...crytic...hope that's right, I have just had a few red wines [can ya tell] and I'm still very much one of them blondes, last I looked anyways).

WRT your offsetted (so it seems from my 'blonde' question) self reflective bracketed comment: Don't stand down on my account there now good Soldier :p

(....as in any case, I would have thought that ongoing active duty brings with it, among other things, and at the very least, some precision in one's streamlined thinking hey, and which you'd think is exactly what you have trained and worked for, so thats not I imagine, cause for anyone to re/think they have been in the game to long so to speak, now is it? your just being kind heheehehe :lol:)

:lol: Cheers!

Last edited:
One Hot Military Woman! "....the most feminine woman I know..."

Nancy Wake
(The White Mouse)
They code-named her 'The White Mouse' because of her ability to elude capture.

Born in New Zealand, raised in Australia, retired in England, ashes to be scattered in France.

The Allies' most decorated servicewoman of WWII

List of Honours
Companion of the Order of Australia
George Medal
Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur (France)
Croix de Guerre (France), with two bronze palms and a Silver Star
Médaille de la Résistance (France)
Medal of Freedom (USA) with Palm
RSA Badge in Gold

"She is the most feminine woman I know, until the fighting starts.
Then she is like five men." Henri Tardivat.
picture810.jpg

By 1943, she was the Gestapo's most-wanted person,
with a 5 million-franc price on her head.

She became a saboteur, organiser and Resistance fighter who led an army of 7,000 Maquis troops in guerrilla warfare to sabotage the Nazis. Her story is one of daring, courage and optimism in the face of impossible odds.

Henri Tardivat (Comrade): praised her fighting spirit; amply demonstrated when she killed an SS sentry with her bare hands to prevent him raising the alarm during a raid. During a 1990s television interview, when asked what had happened to the sentry who spotted her, Wake simply drew her finger across her throat.

..."I hate wars and violence, but if they come I don't see why we women should just wave our men a proud goodbye and then knit them balaclavas."... Nancy Wake.

It was a philosophy she most definitely lived by. At the outbreak of World War II, Wake was working as a journalist; however, instead of thinking that she could most help by telling stories or knitting balaclavas, she felt she could most help by joining the fight. It was a wise decision. By joining the fight, she made such a contribution to the Allied effort that she topped the Gestapo’s most wanted list.

Like a true commander, Wake always put herself in the thick of the action. On one occasion, the supply drops were threatened by the destruction of radio codes. Wake embarked on a marathon bike ride, cycling about 500 km in 72 hours and crossing several German checkpoints, in order to find an operator to radio Britain and request new codes.

In 1960, she returned to Australia, and wrote her autobiography.

In 2001, she returned to England to live out her days, with the express wish that her ashes be scattered over France after she died.

As for how she would like to be remembered, she said she hoped to go down in history as the woman who turned down 7,000 sex-starved Frenchmen. She also said:

...'I got away with blue murder and loved every minute of it.' ... Nancy Wake.

Nancy Wake is now 93 and living in a London nursing home. She remains assertive about what will happen to her body when she, improbable as it seems, is gone:

"I want to be cremated, and I want my ashes to be scattered over the mountains where I fought with the resistance. That will be good enough for me."

Nancy Wake .... Germaine Greer...NO COMPARISON HEY...respectively one lived by her word and actions, the other well who gives a toss!

For me, Real women follow Nancy Wake: a true Lady and a forceful fighter!.....Cheers! :)

Quotes referenced (in Italics) are publicly available throughout many sources.

Last edited:
Capt) Riel Erickson , first woman as intercepted a russian cold war era Tu-95 "bears" since his first operational flight in 1956.
serverwq7.jpg

dsc1703fullur5.jpg

riel1jpgfit240dofitw240bt5.jpg

Here a picture of his CF-18 with the famous russian nuclear bomber Tu-95 in 2007, in canadian territory
serverni5.jpg

Riel with jetstream Rookie
111110wl9.jpg

Last edited:
Some Women Medal Recipients (Military and Cilivian):

http://userpages.aug.com/captbarb/medals.html

Some more interesting Women in War:

http://userpages.aug.com/captbarb/pilots.html

http://userpages.aug.com/captbarb/spies.html

Some more interesting Military Women: Astronauts

http://userpages.aug.com/captbarb/astronauts.html

Some Military Women Famous Firsts

http://userpages.aug.com/captbarb/firsts.html

There is some more interesting reading at the bottom of these linked pages also (i.e. Military Women in Vietnam, Prisoners etc).

.....Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Speaking of nurses, here's one totally badass Army medic who's only the second female US Army soldier since World War II to be awarded the Silver Star:

Brown.jpg

Yes, boys -- she's trying to go to nursing school.

What outfit wears the maroon berets in the US Army?

Yeah sounds about right.
Over here it's...
Camouflaged Berets - Navy SEALs and Armor.
Black Berets - Army SF
Maroon Berets - Air Force SF
Green Berets - Marine Force Recon

Even more confusing, US Air Force personnel also wear berets -- maroon if you're a PJ, black if you're security/MP.

Even more confusing, US Air Force personnel also wear berets -- maroon if you're a PJ, black if you're security/MP.

The USAF isn't really heavy on the Beret... just the two you mentioned.

PJs wear maroon since they evolved from the US Army Airborne Units and also the Beret for a long time was simple a Special Forces thing and the PJs are USAF's Special Forces. USAF Security Forces wear black because they like black.... I don't know the history behind that one.

US Army AB wear maroon berets because of WWII and the rescueing of the 1st Airborne Division (United Kingdom), the "Red Devils". The 1st Airborne Division (United Kingdom), earned it's title the Red Devils by the Germans while fighting in North Arfica.

US Green Berets wear Green berets due to early training with British Royal Marines during WWII and the early Cold War.

Certain Navy commands have had women for years places like AIMD NAS Norfolk, VR-56, VAW-120, Oceana NAS, MAG-42 Det Bravo, HM-12,14,and 18, that I know of
most Destroyer tenders have women, and all the supply ship I ever saw had women on them.

Last edited:
Back