women, mascots, and politicians

Do looks affect # of votes?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

behemoth79

I was watching an episode of "House MD" today and one line there made me think. A black senator was running for president and some guys said something to the effect of, "youre pretty good looking. youll get at least 75% of the female vote." Are that many women really voting for the highest position in America, and maybe the world based on looks? Lots of female friends of mine pick football games based on the mascots of the teams. This question is mainly pointed at the girls here but guys can answer as well. Does the way a person look affect his/her chances of receiving votes? Do 75% girls actually say, "ohh hes cute ill vote for him"? If so, then the whole women's suffrage was a horrible idea.

Two words: Irrational Behavior

People who cannot think by themselves in terms of actually knowing the situation and understanding the situation.

Two words: Human Nature

It's human nature that better looking people are more popular than the ugly people and election politics is the biggest popularity contest of them all.

Study after study has shown that the better looking you are the more likely you are to rise to the top of the American social and economic ladder and the uglier you are the more likely you are to be at the lower end.

Outside of the wide studies done on this effect in the broad spectrum of human interaction, specifically the televised debte between Kennedy and Nixon is the most pertinant and well known. People listening on the radio where more responsive to Nixon because he made the better points but those watching TV where more positive towards Kennedy, especially amoung women.

If this is a problem among the American People, then how to form a solution? Simply prevent young women from voting? Of course not.

You cannot deny that this is a factor of human nature, but I will agree that American culture spurred on by advertisements have made this culture particularly succeptable to coersion by apearance.

But do remember, the reason you see a sexy woman with a Budwiser advertisement is because it works. Alternatively, if you have to see two candidates almost every day for multiple months you are naturally going to be drawn to the better looking one. Now this is surely not the only factor when people make their decisions, it is one amoung a sea of many, but it is undeniably a factor.

I certainly agree with you. As some of my American Colleagues have said "Sex sells." That is very true and only works on certain people and the targetted group. Female physical attraction was used as Marketing tools since the late 19th Century and later projected tremendously during the roaring 20's.

Back