Women and Guns

--
Boots

September 30th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Topic: Women and Guns

One of the great ironies in life is that the portion of humanity that would most benefit from knowing how to use firearms -- women -- don't like them. Obviously this is not a universal truth, but why do so many women have a severe avoidance issue with guns? If a stalker or rapist knows that his victim is armed and dangerous, I think it greatly diminishes his motivation to pursue said woman.

What are everyone else's thoughts?
October 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

All I know is that women can be excellent shots.
October 1st, 2004  
SHERMAN

That is an instructor in the Israeli sniper school...And yes, under all that camo and gear, its a she....
--
Boots
October 1st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Well, the majority of girls here are military, so I doubt they have issues with it, but I believe all of you know what I mean, right? Guns are "a guy thing" or "scary" or "feel wrong" or whatever.

The sniper school instructor looks kinda cute but its hard to tell through all the face-paint. She is not part of the problem I'm talking about.
October 1st, 2004  
Sooners1

I do understand, but I think a lot of that comes from the way they were raised and so on down the line, mother, daughter, mother daughter. More of a maternal thing maybe, dont really know this one. Good question though.
October 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

Tomboys can be quite fun
October 1st, 2004  
Darkmb101

The answer: testosterone. Girls dont have it and are as violent as guys so they tend to not like football and firearms or blood and guts for that matter.
October 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

Except a few :P
October 1st, 2004  
Courtenay

I don't think you'll find as many women who are passionate about firearms the way men can be......even if they are proficient at handling them. Maybe it is something in our girly hard-wiring! LOL
October 1st, 2004  
Bootboy82

I think this is a cultural and and therefore educational 'problem'. Most cultures are some kind of patriarchal societies which means that men are responsible for hunting and protecting his family. That is where guns, or weapons in general, are used.
So guns are considered man's stuff.

Like on the opposite, only few (heterosexual ) men are interested in cooking, making clothes and stuff like that. It is all just a question of education