woman president

behemoth79

is america ready to have a female president? polls show a high chance of democrats nominatiing hillary clinton and republicans nominating condoleezza rice.

I honestly hope not! I would not want to vote for either of them & it has nothing to do with the fact that they are women. I don't like them.

If a woman is the right person for the job. I'd vote for her. And niether one of those mentioned is the right one.

I'm bettin Ralph Nader does hope those two are nominated. He might actually have a shot at the Oval Office then.

03USMC said:
If a woman is the right person for the job. I'd vote for her. And niether one of those mentioned is the right one.

I'm bettin Ralph Nader does hope those two are nominated. He might actually have a shot at the Oval Office then.
Its going to take a lot more than that to get Nader elected. Everybody in America has that classic worry of, "Am I throwing my vote away or handing victory to the wrong candidate by voting for a Third Political Party's Candidate?"

Both of those ladies need to work on being more charming and charismatic. Helluva ballance to try for as a woman it seems. How to be seen as both tough and compassionate at the same time. How do you do that while putting to rest the old nonsense about "women being weak" or "women are not fit to lead", etc. I follow what your saying 03USMC but it looks likely that we're in for the first woman President of the United States coming in the form of one of those two women. Which do you pick???

What the hell, I'll make the topic for it if someone has not beaten me to it.

Well if your putting a gun to my head :roll: & these 2 were the only candidates to choose from I would have to go with Clinton :firedevi:

Temporary insanity-after thinking about it a bit as of this moment even w/a gun to my head I don't want to vote for either of them.
Rice still has time to prove herself with her current position.

behemoth79 said:
rather take a bullet than vote for one of the two? how much worse can they be than bush? cmon now.
One thing either of them has on Bush is in the brains department. Bush is not actually as stupid as many people assume, though he certainly doesn't come accross as being very bright sometimes. But both Condi and Hillary are really really smart ladies. They also both have a strong tendency to bug the hell out of many many people too.

rather take a bullet than vote for one of the two? how much worse can they be than bush? cmon now

Seriously! Maybe I could say if im being backed into a corner, means the same thing! I was being facetious.

WARNING!!!

Lets all keep the mudslinging down. Every topic on the forums about females being in a predominately-male roll has been locked for getting out of control. I can see this thread getting locked if things continue as is.

SGT Doody

when did the US give women the vote?

here in NZ we were the first also have women in many leadership roles, at one stage the leaders of both major political parties were women ( helen clark & jenny shipley)

is this because we have always had a more inclusive society in regards to women? right from settler days through war times untill today?

Nationally women got the right to vote in 1920 with the 19th Ammendment to the Constitution. However, several states allowed women to vote several decades before that. Montana had a woman governor back in the 1880s for example and the first woman to be a US Congressman took her seat some four years before she could vote in a national election.

Oh btw, just throwing it out there, French women didn't get the right to vote until after WWII.

WARNING!!!
Chewie, this thread has nothing to do with NZ vs. US so don't try to make
it so. It'll just be another "my country versus your country" violation of the rules.

wasn't trying to make it that, only knew that NZ was the first to give the vote to women, and i don't know much about when other countries did the same,

pretty much just wanting to draw some comparisons.

completely understand that NZs position in the world is different to the US.
not a case of "i can pee higher"
just really having trouble understanding why having a female pres would be a bad thing...

Hi,

just really having trouble understanding why having a female pres would be a bad thing...

Exactly ......... I too never kinda understood this fact ..

Not just here But from Interaction to US citizens apart form this Forum too........... they seem to be taken aback by someone mentioning a Woman President .......... and i never found a sutiable reason for that ...........

Whatever the reason is They Just don't seem ready for it mentally.......... thats a general impression i got over the years.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Be careful of where you try to steer this discussion. It should be about "is america ready to have a female president?", not NZ history or anything else. We don't need a shouting match precipitated by a my country is better than yours statement whether inadvertent or otherwise.

It does not matter to me if the candidate is a man, women or monkey. It's whoever I FEEL would be the better president. I do not vote along political parties, I wont vote on gender.
Unfortunately (in my humble opinion) who the choice to vote for is truly not in our hands, it is who the powers to be want it to be. Then we have to make a choice from there.
The best person for president is probably a man or women in a small town somewhere who we will never know about because he/she does not have the millions of dollars it takes to run for president.

ARMYMOM said:
The best person for president is probably a man or women in a small town somewhere who we will never know about because he/she does not have the millions of dollars it takes to run for president.

here here!

Well, a country as sexist as South Korea has a female leader of the Han-Nara party. If elections were held this year (which they're not) she would be presidential candidate.
So a country where sexism isn't as bad... why not?

Back