Wirelss connection . Help needed

MightyMacbeth

I am Honor
how do I secure my wireless connection and place a password so that my neighbors cannot get access and slow my connection? thanks :)

get a hammer, walk to neighbors house, proceed to beat their computer into an unrecognizable condition...

they wont steal your internet, anyyymore

oh the tough way eh? but wait, by nieghbors are big guys, and they outnumber lil ol me.. Hmm, this plan is going to require outstanding inginuity.. aha! gun sgonna pwn em all baby 8) Trouble with the authorities? "But I was definding myself against those thiefs" :mrgreen:

Basically, it's a password you set. Anyone who tries to connect to your network will have to put in this password. The more letters and numbers and symbols you use in the password, the more secure it is.

as a password...i suggest password
no one would ever guess you to be stupid enough to use it....
*and no, that is not my password for the forums so dont even bother trying

(I am writing this of my norwegian set up, sorry for any bad translations, cannot be bothered to log out and log in on english :sarc:).

Right click on your wireless internet connection and select properties. Then select "wireless network" (the tab in the middle). If you have one or more wireless networks available you can select them from the list now available... Select your wireless network of desire, and select "properties".

You may now see two drop down boxes. Select WPA-PSK in the first one and AES data encryption in the second. Then type the network key/password in the two empty boxes below... Hit okay and off you go.

Last edited:
lol,m sorry for being a noob but.. how do I reach all this? Seting up the password. And sunb! I dont know how to reach what you said :mrgreen: I went to control panel, then Network connections, then choose the connection that reads "Local Area Network", went to properties, but then I couldnt find what you said :/

And the connection isnt fast, better than before but not the best

I got a wireless router that is square in shape, has a stick-like figure sticking out from the top. There are a few wires out of that thing, one wire is pluged into this PC. So I am being connected to the interned because of this wire.

RTFM. :D

Pull the make and model off your router, go to that maker's website, see if you can download the user's manual. You should be able to find out how to set up the SSID (i.e., the "name" of your network) and the WEP key (i.e., the "password").

There's an easier method, you can a WEP key, or you can also simply instruct the router to stop broadcasting the SSID. I would also change the default name of the router if you havent already done so.

I would do this regardless if you use an encryption or not.

That depends on the model of your router. But usually you can do it via HTTP:\\192.168.0.1

If that doesnt work, you'll need to check your manual. It should ask you for username and password before it allows you to access the router's firmware. That should be in the manual as well...

Back