WINNER OF WW2 - Page 7

--

October 31st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Nope, that's not what he said at all.
October 31st, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

Patton spoke of uniting with the axis against russia (then getting rid of the axis)
October 31st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

That is something Patton may have said, but I thought you meant that was what Doppleganger was saying.
--
October 31st, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

No he just said that patton said that russians are bad, and that patton was right about it. I disagree
October 31st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Finland and 1939. The USSR invades in an unprovoked attack. Between that and grabbing half of Poland, I think the USSR showed its true colors early on. Fast forward to the Berlin Blockade and you see Stalin once again proving himself to be a danger to the rest of the world.

That is not to say that the people of the USSR were bad. They weren't. They were just led by a man who was bad.
October 31st, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

thats Stalin, not the russians
October 31st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Yep, exactly what I just said. Problem was, Stalin had the Russian people under his thumb and could have enlisted them to help him do whatever end he wanted.
October 31st, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Yep, exactly what I just said. Problem was, Stalin had the Russian people under his thumb and could have enlisted them to help him do whatever end he wanted.
No, he terrified people to the point where its you do it his way or you go to Siberia...breath some fresh air.
At one time he wanted to get rid of zhukov (after the war) and he send people to kill him. Zhukov was informed so he put a mashine gun in his doorway, and when they tried to kill him he fought back. Then he called stalin and (loosly translated) told him : "comrade stalin I am Being attacked, but i will not give up)
October 31st, 2004  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Minus the Stalin's purge, I think Barbarossa could have been a complete disaster for Germany.
How so God? Whilst the purges didn't help I think you overstate their impact quite a bit. The lack of purges would still have saw the Red Army caught off guard and wrongly deployed as this was a direct order from Stalin. They still would have had to face the Wehrmacht and Blitzkrieg at the peak of their powers. The Soviet pockets created as a result of the German onslaught fought extremely fiercely and it's difficult to see how they could have fought any harder. The Soviet tank divisions would still have had no radios and therefore been hampered in any counter response to German armor.

It's true the purges did take away much of the tactical and operational ability of the Red Army, but I really don't think it would have helped them all that much anyway. I mean, the French Army hadn't been weakened by purges but it didn't help them much. Another argument is that the purges helped speed up the Red Army's transformation into the combined arms juggernaut that emerged in late '42 onwards.
October 31st, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

The french didnt expect that Hitler would BlitzKreig their asses