WINNER OF WW2 - Page 4

--

October 30th, 2004  
Shadowalker

I think that by consensus we can say that it was the USSR and the US who won the war, with the UK and commonwealth being the main secondary partner.
October 30th, 2004  
Darcia

Yes but I wouldn't give credit the the whole Commenwealth. Irq for example wanted to Join The Axis. I would say it would Be the USA,USSR, with The UK being a much distant second my the time it was all said and done. The UK couldn't move without asking the USA towards the end of the war.
October 30th, 2004  
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameon
A Nation cannot realy win a war they only way you can measure who won a war is how they do afterwords. .
Does this mean the UK won the American War of Independence then
After all, after the AWI the British Empire grew both in size and power.

No, a nation can win a war, if at least some of its war aims at the start of the war are met.

In WW2 the Allies won, and the Axis lost
--
October 30th, 2004  
Darcia

America realy didn't win the first AIW , the French Helped. The USA realy got thier Independance during the War of 1812
October 30th, 2004  
redcoat

Quote:
America realy didn't win the first AIW , the French Helped. The USA realy got thier Independance during the War of 1812
No, the USA got its independence at the end of the AWI.
The War of 1812 had nothing to do with the USA's independence as such.
October 30th, 2004  
redcoat

Quote:
Yes but I wouldn't give credit the the whole Commenwealth. Irq for example wanted to Join The Axis. .
While Iraq was a British mandate after WW1 until the mid 20's, it was never a member of the Commonwealth.
Though the British still retained a couple of military bases in Iraq at the start of WW2, Iraq itself was an independent country.
October 30th, 2004  
Darcia

Yes I know they got thier Independance, But they realy didn't receieve it until the beat the British agian and showed they could last.
October 30th, 2004  
Shadowalker

War of 1812 was to stop impressment by the british navy and to gain canada. The southerners wanted canada so new states could be created and settled by southerners and so they would have more seats in congress. The commonwealth supplied troops to africa, europe and the pacific, so they should get a mention especially as canadian troops were heavily involved in D-Day.
October 30th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat
Quote:
No, the USA got its independence at the end of the AWI.
The War of 1812 had nothing to do with the USA's independence as such.

I disagree when the AWI was over people saw it as france winning that war and not recognizing the US, but after the war of 1812 people looked at america with respect
October 30th, 2004  
Shadowalker

And as for the winner of WW2.....
well i agree with whoever put switzerland and i would add the neutral countries as they did not lose major industries, they did not have people killed they gained skilled people who were running from the Nazis and they benefitted from the rebuilding of europe.