WINNER OF WW2 - Page 12

--

November 14th, 2004  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilldownmaster2004
Well when you do not have an Oficer corps what do you expect? I have told a story of a kid who was a sergeant at 15 and a 3 star general by the end of the war
I'm a great believer in the saying that if you're good enough, you're old enough.
November 14th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

most of the troops made long marches by foot. they had some vehicles and rails but most veterans i pesonaly know walked 100+ kilometers before getting a ride
November 14th, 2004  
Doppleganger

Quote:
most of the troops made long marches by foot. they had some vehicles and rails but most veterans i pesonaly know walked 100+ kilometers before getting a ride
That maybe true but without a functioning railroad system and an adequate number of trucks in the field you are NOT going to be able to move sufficient men, heavy equipment and supplies to one place for major battles to take place. Without the Lend-Lease equipment there would have been no Operation Uranus (the Soviet counter-attack at Stalingrad) and no chance whatsoever of the Soviets repelling the German attack on Kursk.
--
November 14th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

But germans did destroy many russian tracks
November 14th, 2004  
Doppleganger

Quote:
But germans did destroy many russian tracks
Yes they did, which is why the Soviets had to lay down new ones, getting most of them from the Lend-Lease programme. And of course they were laying them down in areas where the Germans never penetrated to. And as they finally began to advance in 1943 they continued to lay them down behind them. To give you an example of the scale on which the Red Army used railroads 500,000 wagons of supplies had to be shipped to the Kursk area so that the Red Army was a) able to fend off the German offensive and b) counterattack themselves.
November 14th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

why are we arguing about this? we both know that they used the tracks lets move on
November 14th, 2004  
Young Winston

[quote="Kirill K"]Aussie John you are a fool to think that USA was the winner in military and economics, for a number of reasons.

Now thats getting real close, Kirill. If you had called me an"OLD fool" I would have screamed for Redleg and Doody to come and deal with you.

Now guys, does the topic question mean "Who was the winner from the war, that is who gained the most in a military and economic sense?" or

"Who actually contributed most to winning ww2?"
November 14th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

Since I started this topic I say it is about Who military wise won the war
November 14th, 2004  
Young Winston

OK, Brigadier General
November 14th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
OK, Brigadier General
Is that how you report to a senior officer in australia?
drop down and give me 20!
lol