Windtalkers

dadsgirl

Two U.S. Marines are assigned to protect the " Windtalkers". Two Najavo speaking native Americans who use this language as unbreakable radio code. WWll. I strongly recommend it if you have not seen it. Graphic content.
I found the relationship between the U.S.Marines and the Najavos extremely bittersweet. The comraderie grew into brotherhood; to me that's a kind of love you do not find every day.

Last edited:
They shouldn't have cast ole Nicky Cage in the lead...

I don't like him either. But he did a good job in this particular movie. I was surprised that the critics gave it only 2 stars. It was one the best pacific theater movies I've seen to date.

I don't like him either. But he did a good job in this particular movie. I was surprised that the critics gave it only 2 stars. It was one the best pacific theater movies I've seen to date.

I found it a little hokey. I'm also a historian, so movies that are trying to be historical but aren't really believable just rub me the wrong way. Just way too many cliches in that movie for me to get into it.

Can't clain to be Pacific WW2 expert

I found it a little hokey. I'm also a historian, so movies that are trying to be historical but aren't really believable just rub me the wrong way. Just way too many cliches in that movie for me to get into it.

Can't claim to be a Pacific theater expert. As for European Theater "Saving Private Ryan" and "Big Red One" (although Lee Marvin was a bit much) were reasonably close. A good foreign movie made years ago was Kapo.

I am the same way, I think I am one of the few that found "Das Boot" too cliche, I liked most of the movie but the ending just annoyed me.

The sad thing is that many of these stories are great stories in there own right and would be worth watching if told factually.

Last edited:
World war 2 already past 69 years ago. As a movie fans ,I watch many movie about ww2. As the time pass ,I think less and less topic of war movie will refer WW2.

I politely disagree. How about "Monuments Men"? Basically a true story. Then we have Jolie in works on another with a survivor.

I politely disagree. How about "Monuments Men"? Basically a true story. Then we have Jolie in works on another with a survivor.

The hunt for lost artifacts continue still, some of the them are emerging in the US, Canada, and in Germany. Maybe not so important, but who can say Van Gogh is not a part of the western society? I haven't seen the movie yet, but I am into antiquities.

The hunt for lost artifacts continue still, some of the them are emerging in the US, Canada, and in Germany. Maybe not so important, but who can say Van Gogh is not a part of the western society? I haven't seen the movie yet, but I am into antiquities.[/QUOT

I can see you're into antiquities and artifacts. You can appreciate the art. Find the surviving family members; hopefully- who rightfully owned the pieces. Without, without making a dollar off it. That, in my mind only, is the right thing to do.
An entrepreneur is an entrepreneur. You do not need to make money off of people's lives. You can get rich other ways.

The less struggle you're going to have, the more control you're going to have.

The hunt for lost artifacts continue still, some of the them are emerging in the US, Canada, and in Germany. Maybe not so important, but who can say Van Gogh is not a part of the western society? I haven't seen the movie yet, but I am into antiquities.[/QUOT

I can see you're into antiquities and artifacts. You can appreciate the art. Find the surviving family members; hopefully- who rightfully owned the pieces. Without, without making a dollar off it. That, in my mind only, is the right thing to do.
An entrepreneur is an entrepreneur. You do not need to make money off of people's lives. You can get rich other ways.

The less struggle you're going to have, the more control you're going to have.

Something I would like to find is the lost amber room from the Catherine Palace outside St. Petersburg. The Germans completely destroyed the palace, but the Russians are restoring it. The amber room in the palace is a replica, but people are searching for the original one. Last time any one saw the amber room was in Koenigsberg 1945, it might been destroyed when the city was heavily bombed.

The palace after the Russians recaptured the area

Today

The Amber Room

Other rooms

I have an amber ring and amber earrings.... Just for the beauty of them.

Good morning. Maybe this should be moved somewhere else.

Last edited:
I have an amber ring and amber earrings.... Just for the beauty of them.

Good morning. Maybe this should be moved somewhere else.

You are correct, this belong to somewhere else. The things stolen by the Nazis belong to somebody else. There are almost 100 000 pieces of art, literature, drawings, music, sculptures, and jewels missing still, and these things belong to the rightful owners or museums; if the rightful owners are....dead.

I am not working with antiquities; I appreciate them and buy them if I like them and I have noticed; many people don't know what they have when I am going to an auction or a garage sale.

Back