Windows crash due to virus

--

December 22nd, 2008  
wolfen

Topic: Windows crash due to virus

I'm on my youngest computer right now, caught a variant of the vundu on mine somehow and it embedded itself in the registry and wouldn't go away no matter which program I ran of even using the good old manual deleting in safe mode method be back in a few days.
December 22nd, 2008  
rock45

Topic: System restore

Did you try disabling the system restore and then booting into safe mode and then running a full scan?

Did you check Norton's, McAfee, AVG's web pages for latest fixes?

Just found this maybe it will help
http://majorgeeks.com/Symantec_Troja...ool_d4430.html
December 22nd, 2008  
Sevens

Wolfen, you poor thing. You seem to have more computer than anyone I know. Hope you get it fixed soon.
--
December 22nd, 2008  
Duty Honor Country

my home computer has issues too. I am preparing to save all important files and reinstall XP in an attempt top make things right.
December 22nd, 2008  
Team Infidel

if you all don't back your stuff up on 2.. yes TWO seperate drives, you are behind. Information security is a premium today. Don't keep anything of importance on your computers. Trust me....
December 22nd, 2008  
rock45

Topic: Back up

Team Infidel I agree with 100% hard drives are dirt cheap and remember your not backing up your programs just your data. Keeping anything of importance on a computer connected to the internet is risky.

Some cheap ideas
Buy a simple $30 dollar router thus creating your own simple network.
Use an old PC as a file storage, as long as it runs basically ok. Unplug it when it's not being used this less change to be hacked into. This gives you a simple plan B.

I'll give more details if somebody wants them.
December 22nd, 2008  
Lunatik

A wise investment would be to buy a new external hard drive (Newegg has them pretty cheap nowadays), transfer all your important files to it, then install a fresh copy of Windows, immediately go to Windows Update and download/install the latest patches before you install any other programs, then download and use Kaspersky Internet Security (much better than both Norton AV and McAfee). You can use the full version of Kaspersky for 30 days and try and see for yourself. It has a much better detection rate than all of the others, plus it uses less system resources and it is not an attention ***** like Norton AV.

Needless to say, you should not connect the external hard drive to your PC until both your OS and AV software is up to date with the latest patches and virus definitions. Once you're safe software-wise, plug it in and have your AV (hopefully you'll pick Kaspersky) do a full virus scan on the external. All infected files, unless they're extremely important to you, should be deleted. Important files can still be viewed/modified while quarantined but that poses some risk of reinfection.
December 22nd, 2008  
Insomniac

list of decent antivirus:
AVG antivirus (FREE)
Zonealarm firewall (FREE)
Nod32 (FREE)
December 23rd, 2008  
wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock45
Did you try disabling the system restore and then booting into safe mode and then running a full scan?

Did you check Norton's, McAfee, AVG's web pages for latest fixes?

Just found this maybe it will help
http://majorgeeks.com/Symantec_Troja...ool_d4430.html
Yep did those, even tried a malware remover that said it does it, but this little bugger is self replicating upon deletion, which means that when you find the registry entry and delete it replicates itself with another binary string in the registry, with another set of numbers, this vundo variant is newer than even NOD's people know about. I have it on the other hard drive, on a stand alone thats not connected to anything playing with it, trust me, this one is so nasty it makes regular vundu look like a word pad doc.
December 23rd, 2008  
wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
Wolfen, you poor thing. You seem to have more computer than anyone I know. Hope you get it fixed soon.
Thats cause I go places that 99%of the people in the world don't even know about
Its really no biggie, I can back up everything I can't readily access on the Internet and the format disk I use really doesn't care whats on a hard drive, you click start, its gonna write 0's to the entire drive from the first to last cluster