Winchester Firearms going out of business!

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Associated Press
Winchester Rifle Plant Prepares to Close
By MATT APUZZO , 01.17.2006, 04:37 PM

U.S. Repeating Arms Co. Inc. said Tuesday it will close its Winchester firearm factory, threatening the future of a rifle that was once called "The Gun that Won the West."

"It's part of who we are as a nation just like it's part of who we are as a city," Mayor John DeStefano said.

The announcement touched off a lobbying effort by city officials and union leaders who hoped to find a buyer for the plant before it closes March 31. If no buyer comes forward, it could spell the end for nearly all commercially produced Winchesters, said Everett Corey, a representative of the International Association of Machinists District 26.

"Winchester would be pretty much defunct," he said. "They're not going to produce them, other than a couple custom-type models."

The company has been plagued by slumping firearm sales. More than 19,000 people worked there during World War II, but the plant employs fewer than 200 now.

The Winchester model 1873 lever action rifle was popular among American frontiersmen at the end of the 19th century for its reliability. John Wayne made the Winchester rifle a signature of his movies and Chuck Connors posed menacingly with his Winchester on the poster for the television series "The Rifleman."

"Marlin made lever-action rifles but nobody ever had a Marlin in films or TV series. They were always Winchesters," said Ned Schwing, a firearms historian.

Perhaps the company's greatest unofficial spokesman was President Teddy Roosevelt, who used the 1895 model on his famous 1909 African safari, which historians credited with boosting the sale of Winchester sporting rifles.

Since the plant opened in 1866, tens of millions of Winchester rifles have been produced, the bulk of which came between the late 1800s and the end of World War II, said firearms historian R.L. Wilson, who has written books about Winchester. More than six million copies of the Winchester Model 94, the company's most popular rifle, have been produced.

"Several generations have worked at this place, a lot of fathers and brothers, sons, uncles and daughters," said Paul DeMennato, facility director at U.S. Repeating Arms.

U.S. Repeating Arms, which is owned by the Herstal Group, a Belgium company, has said for years that it was on the brink of closing the plant.

DeMennato said the company is negotiating the plant's sale. Missouri-based Olin Corp. owns the Winchester brand name. In the late 1970s, after a massive strike by its machinists, Olin sold the plant to U.S. Repeating Arms along with the right to use the Winchester name until next year.

Olin had no immediate word on its plans for the Winchester name. DeMennato said he hopes the name will be sold along with the plant. Nobody at Herstal's headquarters in Belgium could be reached Tuesday afternoon.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/ap/2006/01/17/ap2456054.html

Winchester Rifles to Be Discontinued

By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer Wed Jan 18, 4:06 PM ET

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The traditional Winchester rifles carried by pioneers, movie stars and Wild West lawmen will be discontinued in March, a Belgian manufacturer said Wednesday, confirming the end of an American icon that became known as "The Gun that Won the West."

Once the U.S. Repeating Arms plant closes March 31, the only new rifles carrying the famous Winchester name will be the modern, high-end models produced in Belgium, Japan and Portugal. The older models, including the famous Winchester Model 94, will be scrapped.
"The name will continue, but not with those traditional products," said Robert Sauvage, a spokesman for the Herstal Group, the Belgian company that owns U.S. Repeating Arms and the right to the Winchester name.
Herstal announced Tuesday that the U.S. Repeating Arms factory in New Haven would soon close, capping 140 years of Winchester manufacturing in the city.
"Economically speaking, we cannot continue. We have lost a lot of money," Sauvage said.
More than 19,000 Winchester employees worked in New Haven during World War II, but after years of a softening firearms market, the plant now employs fewer than 200. All will lose their jobs when the plant closes.
Officials and union leaders said they hoped someone would buy the plant and continue building the traditional rifles, but the Winchester name wouldn't necessarily come with the factory. Such an arrangement would need to be worked out separately.
Missouri-based Olin Corp. owns the Winchester brand name. In the late 1970s, after a massive strike by its machinists, Olin sold the plant to U.S. Repeating Arms along with the right to use the Winchester name until next year.
Sauvage said the Herstal Group wants to extend that right past 2007 but Olin has not decided whether to allow it. Spokeswoman Ann Pipkin said Olin is disappointed with Herstal's decision to close the plant and may sell the Winchester naming rights to someone else.
"The legendary Winchester name, we want it to be on a great-quality firearm," she said.
The Winchester model 1873 lever action rifle, popular among American frontiersmen at the end of the 19th century for its reliability, inspired the 1950 James Stewart film "Winchester '73."
John Wayne made the Winchester a signature of his movies and Chuck Connors posed menacingly with his Winchester on advertisements for the television series "The Rifleman."
President Teddy Roosevelt was also a Winchester devotee, using the 1895 model on his famous 1909 African safari, which historians credited with boosting the sale of Winchester sporting rifles.
While collectors were drawn to Winchester's many commemorative or special-edition rifles, sportsmen often still hunt with rifles that are generations old, a longevity that historian R.L. Wilson said became both the hallmark of the Winchester brand and part of its demise.
"It's not unusual in my work, I'll talk to someone, they'll say, 'I've got my rifle that belonged to my grandfather. I'm still using it,'" Wilson said. "These things get recycled as long as you keep a gun clean and you look after it."
Sauvage said Herstal is proud to have manufactured Winchester rifles for so long. He said he thinks customers will continue buying the new line of weapons, which can be produced quickly and for less money, because Belgium, like America, has a reputation for quality manufacturing.
Others say it won't be the same.
"It would be like Chevrolet going out of business or Chevrolet being made in Japan or China," firearms historian Ned Schwing said. "Winchester is an American legend, whether you're a gun person or not."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060118/ap_on_bi_ge/winchester_closing

Last edited:
Thats kinda sad. My first deer rifle was a Model 94 30-30 lever gun. Still have it . Another piece of history gone. But hey now Cimmaron or Navy Arms can start making repro's.

Guess I'll hang mine (pre `64) up beside my Daisy "Red Rider" BB gun.
It's all the cheap, junky military rifles that's killing off our firearms industries. Soon, they'll go the way of Indian motorcycles and probably Harleys. :firedevi:

Hey, I wasn't around when Indian was in business. But I know they're good bikes. And please, we can't lose Harley too.

I have Models 1873 and 1859, they were my Dad's and I got them for HS grad. This is a real shame, it's like like removing a piece of American history from the books.

5.56X45mm said:
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The traditional Winchester rifles carried by pioneers, movie stars and Wild West lawmen will be discontinued in March, a Belgian manufacturer said Wednesday, confirming the end of an American icon that became known as "The Gun that Won the West."
And don't forget people trapped in pubs during zombie attacks.
A nation mourns :crybaby:.

PJ24 said:
I have Models 1873 and 1859, they were my Dad's and I got them for HS grad. This is a real shame, it's like like removing a piece of American history from the books.

hmm yes, I would aso consider that as a piece of American history.. and Hollywood lol

I own a Winchester 1894 Ranger in .30-30 Winchester. I love that rifle. It's one of my favorite iron sight rifles. No scope, no frills, nothing special on it. Just a plain jane. I'm going to miss really using this rifle. Since Winchester will no longer be making them, I wont be able to get parts for it for when parts break. That rifle is going to be a wall hanger now.

I guess I'm going to buy lever action rifles from Marlin Firearms from now on.

Missileer said:
Guess I'll hang mine (pre `64) up beside my Daisy "Red Rider" BB gun.
My pre '64 Model 70 is already in the look, but don't shoot, case. They aren't as valuable as they once were, since they started using the pre '64 action again in 1990, but this one has sentimental value. It will be sad to see them go.

MightyMacbeth said:
so why exactly are they shuting down? is it really a benefit??

It's not a benefit to us, the gun collector. But to the average gun owner. They don't care. Winchester has not been selling as many firearms lately due to the fact that foreign firearm companies are selling the same designs for a cheaper price. Also, the lever acion, while still a popular hunting rifle. It is not popular with the younger generation of hunters. Today's youth want the super techno bolt action Jame Bond sniper rifle. I'm a classic guy when it comes to some firearms. And hunting guns in my opinion should stay classic.

What really makes this a sad event for me is how close the name Winchester and the 1894 lever action is with America. It's part of the romance of the wild west. It's the gun that help win the west. Winchester is as much a part of the American lexicon as Coke is. You ask anyone that has ever seen a western movie or show, ask them what rifle they cowboys use. And they'll say a WInchester even if it's not a Winchester. It's just an important part of America.

Same with the Winchester Model 70 Bolt Action Rifle. That is why there is a huge group of collectors for this rifle. Anything that's a Pre '64 Model 700 will fitch a high price in today's gun show. That's because they're that good of a hunting rifle.

Also the Model 1300 Shotgun is a favorite of many bird hunters and law enforcement officers. It's one of the three American pump action shotguns. The other two are the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500.

The passing of winchester will be a dark day for me just as the passing of Ithaca Firearms. Another great American gun company.

Back