Williams won't accept minor league deal

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

NEW MILFORD, Conn. - Bernie Williams doesn't plan to accept the Yankees' offer to attend spring training on a minor league contract, the outfielder told several reporters Friday night before playing guitar at a benefit concert.
"I think if they wanted me, they would have signed me already," Williams was quoted as saying by both The New York Times and Daily News.
"The option to go to spring training and see what happened - I don't think at this moment it is something I want to consider."
The Daily News also quoted Williams as saying, "I'm working out, but I think the way it looks right now, it doesn't seem like I'm going to be playing with that team this year."
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told the Times that there was no room for the 38-year-old Williams on the roster.
"We love and respect Bernie, but with the dynamic of our roster, there's not a spot," Cashman said. "We had a lot of conversations with him. I understand that he doesn't want to accept a minor league deal."
Williams, the career leader in postseason home runs (22) and RBIs (80), hit .281 with 12 homers and 61 RBIs in 131 games last season, his 16th with the team. The four-time World Series champion is a career .297 hitter.

The Yankees really treat Bernie like crap considering all he's done for them. The man's been with the Yankees all his life and has helped them win 4 World Series and I think 6 Pennants. They wouldn't even play him last year now they won't even sign him.

Back