WILL WE SEE GLOBAL NUCLEAR WAR IN OUR LIFE TIME?

When do you think a global nuclear war will happen?

• 1-10 years from now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20 years from now

• 30 years from now

• I won't see it happening in my lifetime

• Probably the next century

• Total voters
I do not think we will see a nuclear war, but we may see a nuke used in our lifetime. THere too many radical groups who would love to get their hands on a nuke. Back in 98, a friend and I concluded that the US would be hit by a chemical or nuclear attack sometime soon. We did not think about flying air planes into buildings. If some organization uses a nuke against the US, there will be hell to pay and no one could stop the US from retaliating.

I'm missing an option in the pole. "Not even afther our lifetime".
It' could be that a terrorist get's a hold of a nuke on day and detonates it somewhere, but that won't start a "GLOBAL NUCLEAR WAR" for that you need countries to fight eachother. The only way for nukes to work for a country is when it's the only country that has them.

Im inclined to say that nuclear war WILL happen eventually, even if it is started by a stupid accident.

The problem is that so many nations are now armed or actively trying to arm themeselves with nuclear weapons, that eventually nukes are going to be a relatively common threat from any nation.

For instance, say N. Korea decides to demonstrate their nuclear ability by striking a NATO, UN, or Allied installation. If N. Korea went nuclear, then the country attacked would retaliate in kind no doubt, potentially instigating action against the retaliator, forcing another nuclear country to launch.

Ultimately, if the US or Russia become involved, then the world will probably fall under the MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) principle of the Cold War.

This example was a country to country threat.

The Terrorist to country threat is far nicer by comparison.

Say for example, Al-Queda received a nuclear device. Now, they could target any single place they wanted, or, if they were half as smart as we hope they arent, they could divide the material amongst several suicide bombers and create dirty bomb explosions in multiple places, ranging from Israel, to the UK, to finally the US.

Remember, terrorists, espically Al-Queda, no longer have anything to lose because they know that if we find them, we will destroy them or have them destroyed.

The worst nuclear threat is posed by the detonation of a poor mans nuclear weapon in a city that will spread radioactive material around the area and cause fallout that poses serious risks.

SAINT said:
:?: People in the 1950s to 1980s were all prepared for World War 3. Especially during the early Cold War years in the 1950s to 60s, even schools had drills for nuclear strikes.
But many decades have gone and still the world is 'peaceful' from nuclear war. When do you think a global nuclear war will happen and why? :firedevi:

With the US-Soviet stand-off having been resolved, it's hard to see what other conflict might bring about such a massive exchange. I don't see a US-China rivalry achieving such a fever pitch, in part because the Chinese aren't obsessed about building up their nuclear arsenal in the way the Soviets were.

Moreover, we've learned a lot about nuclear crisis management in the Cold War, so hopefully the same mistakes won't be made again.

the reason no nuclear weapons were launched in the cold war was because the russians didnt want to die and niether did we both sides knew that if they launched a warhead the other side would launch it rite back and there would be total destruction its not the same with terrsoists who kill themselves everyday for the religon they dont care if they die so they would lauch a weapon if given the chance its not like terrosists represent any one country so who do u fight back against

mikeb683 said:
the reason no nuclear weapons were launched in the cold war was because the russians didnt want to die and niether did we both sides knew that if they launched a warhead the other side would launch it rite back and there would be total destruction its not the same with terrsoists who kill themselves everyday for the religon they dont care if they die so they would lauch a weapon if given the chance its not like terrosists represent any one country so who do u fight back against
:? :shock: :? :shock: :? Could you please try to type in sentences? You know with comma's periods and stuff? This gives me a headache...

While nukes are bad enough, I would think that a biological attack against a couple major population centers within the US would be far more likely. Biological agents can be delivered in many possible ways, and be much easier to deploy. In amny cases they could spread from person to person before the affected victims even show any symptoms

I would not be surprised if it would happen in My lifetime I just hope I do not have to witness it, and the only reason why I would want it during my administration is because I would be re-elected. I do not want it happening for any reasons, I believe I would not be able to live with myself and become mentally unstable because as president you are responisble for every American Boy. It is something for which I am prepared, but I do not wish for such a thing to happen.

The best way to stop nuclear war from happening should no longer be the MAD doctrine during the Cold War... it should be an effective defence against nuclear strikes. So whoever wants to fire nuclear missiles at the US will have to think again..

Defence against nuclear strikes is better than Mutually Assured Destruction MAD (which kills everyone and nobody wins). An effective defence shield can prevent nuclear war from happening.

hopefully the defence shield will be operational soon..

ummm

well do you think they would hit new york city, i live on long island and ive been pretty worried about all this stuff lately......

Back