Will USA sell India F/A-22 or JSF? - Page 6

--

December 4th, 2004  
Darcia

Wha.....?

If we are talking of the JSF then it was created to be a cheap, yet very good, replacement for a ton of old aircraft included in the list are Americas deadliest aircraft the Harriers VTOL.

The F-22 is known for being an exspensive aircraft however.
December 4th, 2004  
Xion

F/A - 22 'Raptor'
December 4th, 2004  
Darcia

Okay, then of course it is going to cost some money. everyone knows about that.
--
December 5th, 2004  
egoz

For the F-22 they've gone from a planned 750 planes in 1985 to the current 180 (as of 2002).
this link has the current cost estimates per aircraft at anywhere from $142mil-$200mil per aircraft.
December 5th, 2004  
Darcia

It's nice to know the US Airfroce is spending thier money wise.....
December 5th, 2004  
egoz

well it isn't neccessarily unwise to spend their money this way. I think it's stupid that they delayed the program so much and cut back the numbers so much that the cost has sky rocketed and gone well above what they wanted. That's what happens when politics get involved.
December 5th, 2004  
Darcia

Yeah it is a little crazy that they cut the numbers back that much. They spend so much money trying to create a super fighter than just cut the numbers completly back.
December 5th, 2004  
egoz

from what i heard, their train of thought went like this. if these fighters are so great why do we need so many of them? since the f15 was practically untouched, then the plane replacing it will be that much more amazing. it's one way to see things, but that many planes can only be deployed over so much of the globe. it's like in korea when they released the Mig 15 on us and we didn't have the F86 there to quickly respond to that threat. Part of me is saying that we're running into trouble. But on the other hand we've built 54 F117s and they've performed flawlessly, well ok, minus 2. It has shown me that we can use a very limited number of aircraft effectively in a theatre of war. But at the same time, they flew A LOT of sorties and I'm sure it was a strain on the ground and air crews.
December 5th, 2004  
Darcia

Yeah but when you get into it the F-117 realy havn't aw that much war time exsperiance, all the nations it has fought in have not been truly advanced nations.

I do say that I would have built around 500 F-22.

Another thing is the F-22 is not Carrier Capable is it.
December 5th, 2004  
egoz

The F22 is going to be stictly for the AF. The stealth aircraft of the Navy is the F-35 and F-18 E/F. I say the F18 only because it has a reduced radar signature compared to earlier models.

That's true that the Nighthawk hasn't seen combat against really advanced nations. But it has seen combat in nations that held some of the latest Russian radar technology. I don't think the point is to be fighting a nation with advanced weapons, at least compared to ours. We should always have the technological advantage over our enemy. I can't really see a full on airwar starting with any advanced enemy threat anyway. If anything the F22 will be deployed ahead of standard aircraft to possibly clear SAM threats or the like, along with other stealth aircraft. Then will also participate in early stages of any possibly air war. Which, in theory, would be short and simple because they won't see it coming.