Will United States defend Taiwan against Chinese invasion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAINT

8) Will the United States defend democratic Taiwan against a possible Communist China's invasion in the future? How much will the US be prepared to defend its ally, Taiwan? A total war for the sake of Taiwan or just let the island be engulfed by China? :?:

At that stage, most likely China may also invade Japan...

:rambo:

Well, our Army is In no position to help, but luckily the struggles of the Middle East keep are Navy preety bored, and you may remember we held large scale Navel Excercises (RotP) In the Pacific this summer, I think we had 7 CBGs In all, quite a force. China, with luck, will have a hard time taking the Island, so militarilly, we could move our Fleets from japan over there. Politically though, I doubt anyone will oppose China, that is unless we had a man like Bush In office.

It would prolly be dependent on Taiwan asking for help. If they did, we'd do what we've always done. Park our monstrous navy very closeby, directly inbetween Taiwan and the mainland if need be. Its the same game we've always played. China will stage "military excercises" as close to Taiwan as humanly possible, and the US parks its navy there to make sure they don't try anything. So I don't forsee it being a major issue until the Chinese Navy is stronger than the US Navy in the Pacific.

The official US policy for Taiwan is very complicated indeed. Its complicated all the further by Taiwan having once been the "official China" recognized by the USA. Now it is not, but because of those years that it was, it tangles the web further. Then throw in the great efforts that the USA went to in order to foster better relations with China during the Cold War. Its a messy balancing act to say the least.

Taiwan likely isn't stupid enough to declare unilateral independence from China, but if they did then things wouldn't be much different that they are right now. Taiwan is already a seperate independent country right now.

They are claimed by China. China officially considers them a renegade/rebel province, but has never fully committed themselves to doing anything about it. Simply put, China hasn't yet chosen to risk what might happen by launching an invasion. Everyone knows that Taiwan is, for all intents and purposes, already an independent country and completely outside their control. One wonders if its really worthwhile for China to do anything about Taiwan under any circumstances. Is it worth destroying their credibility in the international diplomatic scene over "official recognition" of what already exists?

Just heard this news,

Simulated drills show Taiwan overrun in 6 days

Simulated drills show Taiwan overrun in 6 days !

TAIPEI - Taiwan's armed forces staged a drill simulating an invasion by China yesterday as a military computer exercise showed that Taiwanese troops could withstand a similar onslaught for just six days.

The scenario of the manoeuvre, the first of two rehearsals for a major exercise to be held on Aug 25, was that Taiwanese troops had failed to hold off an amphibious landing by Chinese forces, TVBS cable television showed.

As the island's troops tried to stop simulated Chinese forces from pushing further inland, a fleet of US-made Cobra gunships fired laser-guided Hellfire missiles while howitzers and tanks fired on targets.

Defence Minister Lee Jye confirmed a report that in a recent computer-simulated exercise, Taiwanese troops were wiped out 130 hours after the People's Liberation Army started invading.

But Mr Lee was swift to urge the Taiwanese not to panic over the outcome of the simulation.

'The computer drill included the toughest scenarios so that we are able to know where our flaws are,' he told reporters.

The Defence Ministry issued a carefully worded statement to describe the computer war games, saying: 'Although the defending troops suffered severe losses, the losses by the invading troops were several times bigger. If we consider it as a war between the two sides, this indicates the enemy will have to pay a painful price.'

Also, the simulated attacks did not include intervention by the US or Japan, the Chinese-language Apple Daily said. -- AFP, Reuters

That aint gonna buy anyone alot of time for helping them...[/url]

Once the Chinese make a succcessful landing, it will only be a matter of time. Even though Tiawan has a top notch military they will simply be overwhelmed with Chinese manpower.

But I don't think China a decent enough navy to make a succesful landing. Taiwan alone without the help of the USA could sink a significant amount of ships to make a successful landing.

If any other government besides a repressive communist one was attamepting the landings, the casulties would prove faital to the administration that launched the attack..

My whole point was that the US Naval pressence and the fact that we watch for that very invasion constantly keep them from ever LANDING the invasion. Obviously, once the invasion lands then things get messy and I doubt that the US is capable of stopping it. But they gotta land that invasion first. Like I said, barring the Chinese Navy surpassing the US Navy in the Pacific, I'm not too worried. Its the same giant security blanket that keeps Japan safe from hostile invasion.

China grows more bold everyday, they will attack Taiwan when they want to whether or not we are flexing our Pacific fleet muscles or not.

How will they get the invasion force onto the island? Airbourne troops? Amphibious may not be a good option for them.

I do agree that China is being bold and are likely to try

Amphibious probably, although I know very little about the Chinese Order of Battle. But It is a communist regime, so casualties, as history tells us, do not mean a thing along as the goal is achieved.

US Troops in the area....

Remember, there is a Marine Division in Okinawa and Army Div in Korea which could be easily moved in for defense of Taiwan. 130 hours is a worst case and does not include the air power from the US from Korea and Japan.

In that case, the US will be involved... But how much involvement will the US be prepared to face?
There will be casualties on the US side too.. and it might showball to a total war? Is it worth it for the US and the world over Taiwan.. sometimes I wonder :?:

BUT for the sake of stopping further invasions on US allies like Japan and so on, that any communist China invasion beginning with Taiwan must first be stopped before China starts invading other countries as well. If Taiwan is taken, I don't think they will stop there. Japan, and other southeast Asian countries will just topple one by one... :?

Army Div in Korea which could be easily moved in for defense of Taiwan.

Well, It looks like at least we will be leaving Korea soon, for one they dont exactly like us, and our forces are needed elseware, as shown by the recent moving of the entire 2nd Brigade Combat Team from the Division to Iraq, leaving the forces In Korea with only 2 Brigades and not a whole lot of combat units outside of the division.

Which Marine division is In Okinawa btw?

Easy on the rhetoric, we conservatives are not as ignorant as you may try to convince yourself. As for Independence, Taiwan has that right, whether or not we should help them Is up to the people of this country. Don't be so fast to call Taiwan's politicians "ugly", because the people that founded this country were then "ugly" too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back