Will United States defend Taiwan against Chinese invasion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about those Chinese dictators and politician they could be ugly too.

Depends whose side you see.

I agree with Guy, Taiwan has the right to chose independence if they choose to do so, and the US has the right to defend them or not.

China is rapidly becoming the largest economy in the world. In order to finish becoming that, their best interests lie in good relations with the USA and the rest of the world that buys their crap. Provoking a major conflict over Taiwan would jeoprodize their economic growth and likely close a lot of markets to them. It would also be a diplomatic nightmare, and their leaders know this. Doesn't mean they won't do it anyway. Communist governments are not well known for doing the intelligent thing.

Once they are the most powerful economy and actually are technologically up-to-date, all bets are off.

Re: some argument

proteinxx said:
And Saint, I am sure you certainly will die when that happen.

;) Well.. I don't mind dying in that case... what a (Saintly) way to die, I should say.

Wasn't Taiwan a Japanese colony for at least 50 years?
Japan got Taiwan because China gave up the island.
That proves the point.. that Taiwan has already been independent from China a century ago. By consent from China at that time.
http://www.wufi.org.tw/eng/timovmnt.htm
http://www.geocities.com/apapadimos/Taiwan_Pages/Taiwan_History_4.htm
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/disreadisplay.html?0+12411

And now, China wants Taiwan back.
I think China suddenly becomes aware of Taiwan due to Taiwanese investment in China when China opened up its economy in 1980s. Now China got a taste that Taiwan has $$$ and is therefore eyeing the island.
Previously, before opening its economy, communist China doesn't understand what $$$ can do and so forgot Taiwan from 1950s to late 1970s.

But a communist China doing business and loving $$$ doesn't make it democratic. In fact, as fanatical as China was with Communist doctrines from '50s to late '70s, now the fanaticism has become for the love of money $$$. Money tastes good, now China knows. But that doesn't make China less communist. It's just a distorted way of Communism..

And when Communism turns Greedy, it'll be Ugly.. ;)

Donot related US history to other country's history, totally different stories. Founders of USA were great and that does not mean "founding any country" equals great.

They must not have been seen that way back In 1776, no one could tell how we would end up. Yes, founding a country could lead to bad things, But If you belive In Democracy, then you must accept the principals of natural unalienable rights. One of these rights Is to be governed as a sovriegn nation. If they choose to rebel, let them, who are you to stop them?

Is it possible that in the event of an invasion the UN would pass through a resolution to hel Taiwan something similar to Korea back in 1950 and what would the efect of this be?

proteinxx,
You make a good point In democracy, and God knows I have doubts about the system. Your right of course, why cant anyone have their own democracy, their own country. Frankly, I think Taiwan, If they feel they are different enough of the manland Chinese, have the right to govern according to the wishes of there people, just how your so called "Texas Redneck's,", which I assume you mean Evangical Christians, should have a right to set up there own society, because the rest of society does not accomidate their needs.

It's obviouse English is not your first language, so I am having a problem understanding just what you mean. Now I do not know what the Taiwanese people want, but they should be able to get what they want, and If they want Independece, let them have It. There is no hidden meaning to going to war with China, In fact the US probobly wont intervein If Taiwan is invaded. But remember who's going to be killing whom Sir, and that In such a situation, the Chinese will be the ones blowing up school and offices.

Because democracy Is not fair, and democracy Is not perfect. I think very much like you, I am skeptical of democracy, because I see that it is hypocritical In nature.

That congressmen you refer to, probobly does not want his position of power to be overlooked, he doesn't want to loose his influence. The same questions arose during the civil war.
But lets get back on topic....

Taiwan....

GuyontheRight said:
Which Marine division is In Okinawa btw?

3rd Division....

As for the Chinese taking Korea or having the advanced weapons, that is fine, but if it was not for the US consumer economy, there would not be any money in China. Pull out the companies supplying the West and there isn't anything left. There is not enough infastructure within China to support the economy plus the lack of consumerism creats a vacuum without the West. All this coming from an American that is married to a Chinese Immigrant.

Because of different ideology, people will kill each other... even those of similar race. Ideology can either unite former enemies (like Japan is US ally -- but enemies in WW2. Germany is ally now though Germany in WW2 was an enemy).

so I think China will just invade and kill Taiwanese without any guilty conscience because Taiwan has a different political ideology from China.

anyway, invasion or threat of invasion is wrong. 8)

Re: Taiwan....

Lil Hulk 1988 said:
As for the Chinese taking Korea or having the advanced weapons, that is fine, but if it was not for the US consumer economy, there would not be any money in China. Pull out the companies supplying the West and there isn't anything left. There is not enough infastructure within China to support the economy plus the lack of consumerism creats a vacuum without the West. All this coming from an American that is married to a Chinese Immigrant.
Exactly the point I was making as well. If China provoked a closure of US and European markets, they would collapse their fledgelng economy. I don't think they are ready for that kind of outcome, hardline Communist Party members or not. Even the hardliners should know better. I doubt they'll be stupid enough to make such a move until they feel that they have surpassed the West and that's a long ways off ATM.

I don't care about the politics of the thing, Taiwan deserves independence, and the threat of Mainland China invading is ever present if we do not defend Taiwan there will be hell to pay across the board. Not juts in the US most likely the president would be impeached, European nations would mobilize and after a year the UN would probably ratify a War resolution which requires a certain number of nations to fight I believe. But Many European nations would mobilize, the coalition would be huge and I believe we might have to invade the mainland in order to be successful.

GuyontheRight said:
Well, our Army is In no position to help, but luckily the struggles of the Middle East keep are Navy preety bored, and you may remember we held large scale Navel Excercises (RotP) In the Pacific this summer, I think we had 7 CBGs In all, quite a force. China, with luck, will have a hard time taking the Island, so militarilly, we could move our Fleets from japan over there. Politically though, I doubt anyone will oppose China, that is unless we had a man like Bush In office.

ok I don't think this would happen, because our navy is being downsized, when Taiwan would be attacked we'd mobilize our navy bringing up new sailors, we would have a long time to get ready because a shakedown cruise on a ship that had only been put in the reserve fleet for a year takes awhile to be overhauled.

Mod Edit: Do not make back to back posts. Include your quotes and comments in one post.

Fun to read your posts.

Get this straight:

1. No matter what, if taiwan does independence, it is war. Point.

2. China will not lose the war, China has all means to take taiwan, if things turn urgly during the war, sorry taiwanese, there will be nukes put in, like USA did in Japan. Of course not hot nukes, just neutron mini nukes to take out any large-scale resistance.

3. Taiwan is taken, USA sactions come, then China collapse? Give me a break to laugh, China was blocked after Korea War by almost ALL Western, so what? China still OK, nobody will die from hunger, and the Communist leaders still drive in Big Cars and live in Villa's, they don't give a dammn sh*t about sanction.

4. If Western get crazy with sanctions, OK, China will get crazy too, massive production of all kinds Nukes, flooding all mini nukes plus hot nukes to ALL Western enemies (there are a lot of them in the world). So happy every one.

5. Saint: we start to know more and more about Singpaporens now. To take on you, very easy, we sell nukes to Indonesia and Malaysia, we can missile nukes to Sigpapore city in 2 hours, finish you in 2 hours, happy? Don't be mad, if China is able to assure MAD (you know what MAD means?), then nobody can really bully China at all.

6. Last month, Chinese government has announced that they will put MORE money in strategic weapons to assure more MAD, preparing for the ugliest to come. Think about USSR with those nukes, USA didn't dare to confront USSR at all, simply because it is suicide to do that.

Don't think you always have the upper-hand, Korea War and Vietnam War all have proven what is a paper tiger :D

Give peace a chance, don't push too hard, before it is TOO late :lol:

Well, consider how well the UN did coming to the aid of Tibet. I think that gives some idea how it would play out if China does invade Taiwan. IMHO, the Korean Conflict was the one and only time that the UN will ever approve any military action anywhere near China.

3. Taiwan is taken, USA sactions come, then China collapse? Give me a break to laugh, China was blocked after Korea War by almost ALL Western, so what? China still OK, nobody will die from hunger, and the Communist leaders still drive in Big Cars and live in Villa's, they don't give a dammn sh*t about sanction.
So China's all caught up now? Wow, that was quick. Last I checked, China was still about 10-15 years behind every other developed country in technology and industrial development. The standard of living in China ranks lower than many third world countries. The US and Japan still have greater economic output even though both have only a tiny fraction of China's population.

If China is in such a hurry to start WW3 over a tiny island that hasn't been under their control to any degree for almost 60 years, I'd say that's pretty damned reckless and stupid. If China wanted to start it all now, they'll lose. If they're smart enough to wait, they'd win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back