Will United States defend Taiwan against Chinese invasion? - Page 2

--

August 26th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

If any other government besides a repressive communist one was attamepting the landings, the casulties would prove faital to the administration that launched the attack..
August 26th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

My whole point was that the US Naval pressence and the fact that we watch for that very invasion constantly keep them from ever LANDING the invasion. Obviously, once the invasion lands then things get messy and I doubt that the US is capable of stopping it. But they gotta land that invasion first. Like I said, barring the Chinese Navy surpassing the US Navy in the Pacific, I'm not too worried. Its the same giant security blanket that keeps Japan safe from hostile invasion.
August 26th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

China grows more bold everyday, they will attack Taiwan when they want to whether or not we are flexing our Pacific fleet muscles or not.
--
August 26th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

How will they get the invasion force onto the island? Airbourne troops? Amphibious may not be a good option for them.

I do agree that China is being bold and are likely to try
August 27th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Amphibious probably, although I know very little about the Chinese Order of Battle. But It is a communist regime, so casualties, as history tells us, do not mean a thing along as the goal is achieved.
August 27th, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Topic: US Troops in the area....

Remember, there is a Marine Division in Okinawa and Army Div in Korea which could be easily moved in for defense of Taiwan. 130 hours is a worst case and does not include the air power from the US from Korea and Japan.
August 27th, 2004  
SAINT

In that case, the US will be involved... But how much involvement will the US be prepared to face?
There will be casualties on the US side too.. and it might showball to a total war? Is it worth it for the US and the world over Taiwan.. sometimes I wonder

BUT for the sake of stopping further invasions on US allies like Japan and so on, that any communist China invasion beginning with Taiwan must first be stopped before China starts invading other countries as well. If Taiwan is taken, I don't think they will stop there. Japan, and other southeast Asian countries will just topple one by one...
August 27th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Quote:
Army Div in Korea which could be easily moved in for defense of Taiwan.
Well, It looks like at least we will be leaving Korea soon, for one they dont exactly like us, and our forces are needed elseware, as shown by the recent moving of the entire 2nd Brigade Combat Team from the Division to Iraq, leaving the forces In Korea with only 2 Brigades and not a whole lot of combat units outside of the division.

Which Marine division is In Okinawa btw?
August 27th, 2004  
proteinxx

Topic: some argument

none
August 27th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Easy on the rhetoric, we conservatives are not as ignorant as you may try to convince yourself. As for Independence, Taiwan has that right, whether or not we should help them Is up to the people of this country. Don't be so fast to call Taiwan's politicians "ugly", because the people that founded this country were then "ugly" too.