will there ever be a zero-Casualty war?

Hahaha, Pershing, you just ripped the crap out of that guy! I'm sure this website is monitored by some kind of group for anti-terrorist purposes and anyone that these "PEOPLE" don't think are quite right would be under observation right now. And i also agree with everything u said above about having my doubts about that dude.

I kinda feel embarrassed when someone gets busted pretending that they're something and they're really not. But saying things like CLASSIFIED and NOT AT LIBERTY and TOP SECRET make me feel pretty cool too!

Rich :lol:

I don't believe I am at liberty to comment on that at this time. But we are on a bit of a serious thread here guys if we can keep from derailing it I think it is worthy of keeping on track. Let's start a new thread under "Jokes", titled "I am a secret agent man" :lol:

PershingOfLSU said:
Sorry Misazeno, but I have my doubts about what you're saying and you in general.

First off, by the time we can create an artificial intelligence capable of autonomously identifying targets and neutralizing them said AI will be able to identify hostile and non hostile targets. Hence you're robots would only go on a genocidal rampage if instructed to do so.

Secondly I highly doubt any such simulation exists. You cannot model human behaviour, current politics, unforseen mass political movements, and a world economic model with today's technology. It isn't the weather.

And who is "we"? Right, you're probably not at liberty to tell. But that wouldn't make sense because even if such a simulation was possible you'd need to rent a commercial super computer. And a quick FOIA check would reveal that outside of the NWS the government hasn't been doing much of that. And if the program is too classified for it renting a commercial supercomputer to be FOIA accessible then it's certainly too classified for you to be talking about it on a public forum.

Not to mention your profile, no one who is actually a spook, makes it obvious that they're a spook. Otherwise, they wouldn't be a spook.

1. I didn't say the robots would have AI. I said it would have to be programed by a scientist on where it could walk, etc. To add, don't you think the country that had them would program them to kill everyone. I think so. You know you wouldn't have to worry about the enemy in the future if you killed them now.
2. you wouldn't need to rent one if you own it. I didn't say it was accurate. You would have to program what a soldiers supposed to do. You have to take into account that any government can buy and put together a computer.
3. Spook...? I'm not a spook.

bulldogg said:
I don't believe I am at liberty to comment on that at this time. But we are on a bit of a serious thread here guys if we can keep from derailing it I think it is worthy of keeping on track. Let's start a new thread under "Jokes", titled "I am a secret agent man" :lol:

LOL good one

bulldog has the right idea, stay on topic before it has to be locked.

If you want to lay out your "service" record, Misazeno, I, too, believe the Jokes forum would be a more appropriate place to do so.

Misazeno said:
1. I didn't say the robots would have AI. I said it would have to be programed by a scientist on where it could walk, etc. To add, don't you think the country that had them would program them to kill everyone. I think so. You know you wouldn't have to worry about the enemy in the future if you killed them now.
2. you wouldn't need to rent one if you own it. I didn't say it was accurate. You would have to program what a soldiers supposed to do. You have to take into account that any government can buy and put together a computer.
3. Spook...? I'm not a spook.

1. Eh what? An artificial intelligence is a set of programming instructions that control the actions of whatever the computer is directing. If the robot doesn't have an AI then it cannot function without someone directly giving commands as the computer controlling the robot is not capable of making any sort of decision. There are many types of AIs, from those designed to control a complex system of trains, path finding AIs that try and find the shortest route between locations in everything from map quest to computer games, to AIs that analyze sensory information for anomalous data. And no, I don't think the country using robots would program them to kill everything. Why? Because it breaks every convention of war to date and is asking for wide spread international condemnation. It also pressures the attacked nation to use whatever means of retaliation they have, including nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons.

2. So what about a FOIA request to the government owned super computers for usage records? If the simulation isn't accurate what the heck is the point of running it? So that you can get probably incorrect data? I bet justifying that before a budgetting committee must be tons of fun. And I fail to see how running a combat simulation of what computerized soldiers would do in a given situation could possibly create the data that you said you've generated.

3. No, no you're not.

CSmaster said:
ya, that was a pretty successful example, although there wasn't no ground operation there to really 100% defeat the enemy

but the operations in iraq pretty much contradicts the theory that high-tech, great-training will be able to create a zero-casualty war for U.S

Still, if you compare the US deaths to insurgents, it would be in the least a 1:50 or something like that. Wounded would be probably something like 1:200. American technology is far far superior to the old 60s/70s Russian weaponry Iraq had before the war began. Happened in '91, happened again in '03, high technology and great individual training will always win battles. Now, political "battles" are a whole different issue. In Vietnam the US won 9 out of each 10 engagements. Politically they lost.

If it wasn't for the high tech and good training, you know, the US would have a much much higher casualty count. It's the technology that saves lives. When before men would bleed to death, nowadays soldiers are able to survive wounds that were fatal 20-15 years ago. Quoted from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8323385/page/3/

In past wars many of these men and women in combat would have bled to death or died from catastrophic wounds but because of today’s medical technology, rapid access to care, and high tech body armor wounded troops are surviving at a rate never seen before.

American high tech saves American lives, it's a fact.

I remember reading it in a book and a few articles, I'll try to find it if I can tomorrow. However, it's a pretty well known fact that the US did not lose any major battles in Vietnam. I'm not talking about those small platoon on platoon type of engagements, ambushes can be deadly. It's a pretty well known fact that the US won the war militarily, but lost politcally. If you take a look at the casualties, you'll get an idea.

Knowing how you define "engagement" is key to that statement I believe. I know the stats and stories and a lot of men who were there and am not arguing that. Just never heard a stat like 9 out of 10. Just having listened to my two uncles has given me something of a dual-personality as to my thoughts on the Vietnam war. War is like most human endeavours- highly subjective. But please if you have a source post it, inquiring minds wanna know. ;)

alright well id ont feel like reading the entire 3 pages so if someone said this war already, delete this reply. how bout the Cold War.

Unfortunately there were casualties during the cold war, U-2 pilots for one comes to mind right off the bat. And the Korean Air passenger plane that was shot down over Sakhalin Island in the 80's for another.

There certainly were mate... But James Bond came in and blew up the Berlin wall and everybody did a merry little jig and drank shaken vodka martinis and bought new Aston Martins. Sorry, Scotch has gone to my head.

I wonder, have any names ever been released by the U.S. or Russia saying who these agents really were?

Rich.

Since this is military-quotes.com I think I'll use one as my response.

We must never forget our mission is to kill, even though being killed ourselves. We must not shut our eyes to this fact. To make war - to kill without being killed - is an illusion. One must know how to kill while being ready to be killed oneself. The man who is dedicated to death is terrible. Nothing can stop him if he is not shot down on the way.
General Mikhail I. Dragomirov

very good quote, but does anyone know any statistics for that 38-minute war between Britian and Zanzibar? there couldnt have been that many casualties in 38 minutes

Even if machines are fighting wars completely, there will still be casualties. Say for example, a bomb expoldes prematuraly in base, or someone is severly electricuted, or is killed in a non combat accident. I mean people can die or become wounded in a skyscraper. Anything can happen, Look at what happened on Nias earlier this year, that was not even a war, but still 9 Australian Servicemen and Women Died, and 3 were wounded. There will never bee a Zero Casualty War.

Back