will there ever be a zero-Casualty war? - Page 4

--

June 28th, 2005  
bulldogg

Knowing how you define "engagement" is key to that statement I believe. I know the stats and stories and a lot of men who were there and am not arguing that. Just never heard a stat like 9 out of 10. Just having listened to my two uncles has given me something of a dual-personality as to my thoughts on the Vietnam war. War is like most human endeavours- highly subjective. But please if you have a source post it, inquiring minds wanna know.
June 28th, 2005  
MilidarUSMC

alright well id ont feel like reading the entire 3 pages so if someone said this war already, delete this reply. how bout the Cold War.
June 28th, 2005  
bulldogg

Unfortunately there were casualties during the cold war, U-2 pilots for one comes to mind right off the bat. And the Korean Air passenger plane that was shot down over Sakhalin Island in the 80's for another.
--
June 28th, 2005  
ozmilman

Yep, beat me to the punch that time, i was gonna say that. Even the cold war had its casualties.

Rich.
June 28th, 2005  
vargsriket

There were dozens of CIA and KGB agents that died in the cold war.
June 28th, 2005  
ozmilman

There certainly were mate... But James Bond came in and blew up the Berlin wall and everybody did a merry little jig and drank shaken vodka martinis and bought new Aston Martins. Sorry, Scotch has gone to my head.

I wonder, have any names ever been released by the U.S. or Russia saying who these agents really were?

Rich.
June 28th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Since this is military-quotes.com I think I'll use one as my response.

We must never forget our mission is to kill, even though being killed ourselves. We must not shut our eyes to this fact. To make war - to kill without being killed - is an illusion. One must know how to kill while being ready to be killed oneself. The man who is dedicated to death is terrible. Nothing can stop him if he is not shot down on the way.
General Mikhail I. Dragomirov
June 29th, 2005  
ghost457

very good quote, but does anyone know any statistics for that 38-minute war between Britian and Zanzibar? there couldnt have been that many casualties in 38 minutes
June 29th, 2005  
Bory

Even if machines are fighting wars completely, there will still be casualties. Say for example, a bomb expoldes prematuraly in base, or someone is severly electricuted, or is killed in a non combat accident. I mean people can die or become wounded in a skyscraper. Anything can happen, Look at what happened on Nias earlier this year, that was not even a war, but still 9 Australian Servicemen and Women Died, and 3 were wounded. There will never bee a Zero Casualty War.