Will there be a draft?

Is there going to be a draft?

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

It seems that 55% of American teens think that they will be drafted into military service in the near future.

I don't think the draft is a possibility...what do you all think?

Not possible. There is a surge of patriotic pride and pro military goin on since 9/11. With all of the reserves and active duty there is plenty of troops to handle a situation, it is all a matter of it they are used right.

I dont think there will be a draft. My friends have said that if there was a draft they would sign up ahead so that they would get there pick of jobs. Plus with a draft the moral of the troops are low because the people dont want to be there.

Not a chance, in my opinion. Four reasons:

The DOD doesn't want it.
The military is meeting enlistment and re-enlistment goals.
A volunteer army maintains higher readiness (less turnover).
Why mess up a good thing?

Yeah I honestly doubt it would happen because, just as someone commented, after 9/11 jangoism is at a high level right now. Only way it could be even POSSIBLY near is if we went to war with China and Russia at the same time. Unlikely. =/

If :cen: hits the fan then yes, we may have a draft, but then again if China, Russia, the EU, whoever is marching through the US I am sure most of the able bodies men will volunteer.

The quality of a single service man or woman has increased so much since the time of the draft that we do not need it. Even as our KIAs in Iraq reach 1000 (though it is still very sad news all the same) the number is rediculously low for war only 50 years ago. Tens of thousands of American servicemen died in Korea in the same amount of time that 1000 died in Iraq. Trust me, the draft is not coming back. Along with the Quality of Fighters, Medical technology has advanced so far in just ten years that wounds that would be fatal in Kuwait in the early 90s can be fixed nowadays. This only reinforces the fact that we will not need a draft again in the future.

Doody said:
It seems that 55% of American teens think that they will be drafted into military service in the near future.

Heck I don't think 55% of teens know that there isn't a draft already, I was asked by some kid the other day whether I had been drafted or if I volunteered. :lol:

I really do not see the draft coming back anytime soon, I believe the threat of a draft is just being used as a boogieman story for a lot of impressionable young voters.
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing compulsory service, I think it would go a long way towards improving the moral quality of our future generations if they had to earn the freedoms and opportunities we all enjoy.

Lupos said:
The quality of a single service man or woman has increased so much since the time of the draft that we do not need it. Even as our KIAs in Iraq reach 1000 (though it is still very sad news all the same) the number is rediculously low for war only 50 years ago. Tens of thousands of American servicemen died in Korea in the same amount of time that 1000 died in Iraq. Trust me, the draft is not coming back. Along with the Quality of Fighters, Medical technology has advanced so far in just ten years that wounds that would be fatal in Kuwait in the early 90s can be fixed nowadays. This only reinforces the fact that we will not need a draft again in the future.

Well said.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing compulsory service, I think it would go a long way towards improving the moral quality of our future generations if they had to earn the freedoms and opportunities we all enjoy.

Then everyone would be an "expert" on military matters .. oh, wait ....they already are! :lol:

I think a draft is good for a country like Israel, but bad for the US. Let me explain.

In Israel they are under constant threat of attack, terrorists bombings, rude neighbors, etc. They need to constantly keep watch over the border, check points and somtimes the use of force to remind Yasser Arafat that he needs to get his arse in gear. They also have a smaller population and much smaller area to defend. And might I remind you that defending is usually what they are doing.

In the US we have a much larger population, any conventional attack would be sniffed out and thwarted in the act, including submarines, we need only to worry about terrorists in the near for see able future, we do not have unfriendly neighbors threatening to erase us from the face of the planet (probably because the no to attempt such a thing would be futile), and we are not fighting a defensive war, we are going out to liberate others from tyranny and opression, if we used a draft we would have another Vietnam, but if we use a small force of well motivated, highly trained, well equipped of soldiers we can accomplish much more than a million man conscript army.

Of course the conditions vary, in a case like WWII when we were attacked out of the blue by a mlitary force who made clear their intentions a draft is acceptable, I personally don't think it was needed for WWII since more than enough eligible men were volunteering. But in a case like Vietnam when the American public does not understand why we are fighting the war and the only input they are getting is from a commie media who would have use snuggling up to uncle Stalin, a draft is un wise.

It seems that Edwards has something to say about the draft...

Edwards: No Military Draft if Dems Win

By JENNIFER BUNDY, Associated Press Writer

PARKERSBURG, W.Va. - Vice presidential candidate John Edwards promised a West Virginia mother on Wednesday that if the Democratic ticket is elected in November the military draft would not be revived.

During a question-and-answer session, the mother of a 23-year-old who recently graduated from West Virginia University asked Edwards whether the draft would be reinstated.

"There will be no draft when John Kerry is president," Edwards said, a statement that drew a standing ovation.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1963&e=11&u=/ap/20040915/ap_on_el_pr/edwards

...I am sorry, but Bush has never said anything about the draft. ACTUALLY, it was a democrat representative who attached an amendment to a bill that would reinstate the draft so that America's rich and wealthy could "share" the military burden...

Wednesday, January 8, 2003 Posted: 4:28 AM EST (0928 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Charles Rangel introduced a bill in Congress Tuesday to reinstate the military draft, saying fighting forces should more closely reflect the economic makeup of the nation.

The New York Democrat told reporters his goal is two-fold: to jolt Americans into realizing the import of a possible unilateral strike against Iraq, which he opposes, and "to make it clear that if there were a war, there would be more equitable representation of people making sacrifices."

"I truly believe that those who make the decision and those who support the United States going into war would feel more readily the pain that's involved, the sacrifice that's involved, if they thought that the fighting force would include the affluent and those who historically have avoided this great responsibility," Rangel said.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/01/07/rangel.draft/

I really have to shake my head at Edwards!!!

SSG Doody

Interesting story, I was walking through the mall and we walked by the recruiting offices, I joked that to my friend that he should join, my friend has a 4.1 GPA and will be going to an Ivy League school, he said no, he would just take his chance in the draft, I pointed out that their was no draft and he laughed and said "Sure Kyle, if you say so." It is ignorance like what he said there that piss me off, it is amazing how many people think that the US has a draft. We don't! Not since Vietnam, we realized that a conscrption Army is much worse than a smaller army of highly trained and dedicated soldiers. Serving in the United States Armed forces should be seen as a thing of honor, in a draft it results in scolding from one's peers for answering your country's call and not running to Canada or burning your draft card in defiance.

If Bush Wins, no draft.

If Kerry wins, no draft.

If Nader wins, no draft.

Nobody wants a draft, why can't people understand this? The DOD does not want it, Congress doesn't want it, and the American people do not want it. The threat of the draft is something congress uses to distract the media and the public, like a Democrat doing that to delay the passage of a Republican Bill by taking away resources and personel.

But if the public was willing a draft would be excellent, it would make sure we had a large, defensive army ready to defend the nation in case of an attack, and it would teach people discipline and many other essential skills, so many positive aspects of the military are over looked by the public, they only worry about dying, I don't know about you, but I would rather go out serving my country than having a heart attack at the age of 40.

The draft works well in some countries (South Korea and Israel) but for the US who is too used to not having draftees, I think it'll just be a b****

On that note I think the country could use a little draft. Discipline their sloppy @$$es.

Doody said:

Because that's what the Democrats are telling them. To scare them into voteing for Kerry.

Kerry is more likely to instute a draft than Bush ever will...

An "all Volunteer Army' is far superior. Why would the military want a bunch of mommas boys and girls, which would be the case, if drafted....

You know, LIKE KERRY

I can't believe that all of Kerrys' commanding officers are liars.

I actually went around asking people in my school the other day. All but three kids said that they believe Bush would reinstate the draft if reelected. One even went to the extent to tell me that since Bush SCARED us into Iraq, he would SCARE us into a draft. This is getting pitiful!!!

I think it would take another major conflict to have another draft. From what I've read, our forces are stretched thinly over all of our intrests, and if we get into a war with Iran, I don't think there will be enough soldiers to spread over.

I'm not sure if the draft would be a good thing or a bad thing. On the one hand, I think everyone should join the military at some point to have a taste of the cost of Freedom. This country has given you so many opportunities, and giving up 4 years (And under the draft bill, it was 2 years) to pay back your country isn't a bad deal at all. There are other positions in the armed forces besides the infantry, but it seems many people don't see that. I believe the military supervises the guarding of powerplants, right? There's also the administrative positions, the desk workers, and all.

My personal plans if there's a draft? Well, I decided a while ago that I would join the marines as an officer, but if there was a draft before college, I would enlist in the marines as a mechanic on the Marine copters and other planes. If I couldn't get that, then I'd enlist in the navy working on the planes in there. :D

Back