Will Stalin be voted as Russia's greatest countryman?

perseus

Inspired by the British competition 100 Greatest Britons, one of Russia's biggest television stations Russia has been conducting a nationwide poll for much of this year.

The former Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin may have killed millions of his own people but this weekend he could be chosen by Russians as their greatest-ever countryman.

In the summer he held the number one slot but was knocked down several places after the producer of the show appealed to viewers to vote for someone else. Amongst the others on the list are Ivan the Terrible, Lenin, Catherine the Great and Alexander Pushkin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7798497.stm

Since another empire builder Churchill was voted as the greatest Briton, what next? Germany or Austria voting for Adolf Hitler? Napoleon for France?

What is your greatest countryman? US = Abraham Lincoln?

Last edited:
Probably Abe Lincoln or FDR.

Well, Stalin lead the country into the mighty military and rich in economy and GDP....

That reminds me, Blair was voted our worst!
REALLY?! Wow... That's a little sad... I feel so sorry for him... He did the best damned job he could, and now he gets condemned for it... It's like GWB... He was the worst president we've had in a while, but circumstance played a large part in his demise.

Russia's Greatest Statesman... Ronald Reagen!

America's Greatest Statesman cannot be one person.

George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Ronald Reagen.

Last edited:
Isambard Brunel came second in the British one. Shame an Engineer or Scientist didn't do well in the Russian standings such as Korolev.

Russia's Greatest Statesman... Ronald Reagen!

America's Greatest Statesman cannot be one person.

George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Ronald Reagen.

Is this the same Ronald Reagan that helped to deregulate the banking sector along with Margaret Thatcher? (third worst in UK poll of worst Briton's)

Is this the same Ronald Reagan that helped to deregulate the banking sector along with Margaret Thatcher? (third worst in UK poll of worst Briton's)

Yep, that's the same Ronald Reagan. And you can thank his economic spiritual successor for the current economic disaster we are in now. See what happens when you deregulate and let the pigs run free at the trough.

But to get back to the question:

USA: Lincoln and FDR
France: De Gualle

Last edited:
Isambard Brunel came second in the British one. Shame an Engineer or Scientist didn't do well in the Russian standings such as Korolev.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel was French. My dad nearly committed suicide when I told him that, he hates the French lol.

Isambard Brunel was born in England although I will agree his father was French, now if we go down this line then America would have very few people any to call their own

REALLY?! Wow... That's a little sad... I feel so sorry for him... He did the best damned job he could, and now he gets condemned for it... It's like GWB... He was the worst president we've had in a while, but circumstance played a large part in his demise.
When you factor in that we havent' had any real gems lately, THAT makes Bush II one of the worst ever.

But I agree, Blair honestly did the best he could with the pile of sh*t thrown at him. Bush put him in a rather nasty situation with Iraq and his plan to create the "Coalition of the Willing." Now he certainly got worse the longer he was there, but worst ever? Certainly not.

Isambard Brunel was born in England although I will agree his father was French, now if we go down this line then America would have very few people any to call their own

Yes you are correct.

He was born in Portsmouth in 1806 and educated in both England and France.

To be honest looking at the top 100 I would have to say that the capacity of the voters to make a rational choice should be serious questioned.

Princess Diana at 3 and Isaac Newton at 6?
You places a media hogging manipulator above probably the greatest scientist the world will ever know?
In fact your top 3 would have struggled to make the top 20 with perhaps the exception of Churchill who would have been somewhere around 10.

Back