Will Stalin be voted as Russia's greatest countryman?

It tells you what sort of people we have when Isaac Newton is rated lower than Princess Diana. What Monty says of her is true. It's practically a crime... but it shows us where our priorities are - in all the wrong places.

Yes but lets face it the world didnt lose anything in her death either.

We didn't, but I'd be willing to bet some of the folks in the UK did... Figureheads are rather important people to those who follow them. We don't lose anything when famous people die, yet we still feel a certain sense of sadness... Well, I do anyway... I'm not disagreeing with you, Isaac Newton probably was the greatest contribution to the UK, but I'm just asking please give them some respect... They voted for her for a reason.

Monty, I Agree with your views on Diana, but Brunel was one of the great Engineers of the age. That said, being an engineer perhaps I am biased. Jeremy Clarkson gave him good publicity as well. He (Clarkson) is not the most technically gifted person (I find him ignorant and many of his attitudes repulsive) but he gave a great presentation of Brunel's achievements which may explain his high standing. Personally I think Churchill's mistakes, political manoeuvring and lack of morality more than neutralise his achievements. He certainly had a great influence on the 20th century though.

Last edited:
Monty, I Agree with your views on Diana, but Brunel was one of the great Engineers of the age. That said, being an engineer perhaps I am biased. Jeremy Clarkson gave him good publicity as well. He (Clarkson) is not the most technically gifted person (I find him repulsive) but he gave a great presentation of Brunel's achievements. Personally I think Churchills mistakes and morality more than neutralise his acheivements. He certainly had a great influence on the 20th century though.

I don't have an issue with Brunel or Churchill being in the list or even being well placed on the list but when you measure them against the entire history of the land I am not sure they would be given the positions they have attained.

When you have the likes of Newton, Shakespeare, Darwin, Nelson, Wellesley, Scott, Drake, Livingston and countless others who have made huge contributions to the world through their actions I am not sure Churchill or Brunel are really top 10 material and I am damn certain Diana isn't even top 1,000,000 material.

I don't have an issue with Brunel or Churchill being in the list or even being well placed on the list but when you measure them against the entire history of the land I am not sure they would be given the positions they have attained.

When you have the likes of Newton, Shakespeare, Darwin, Nelson, Wellesley, Scott, Drake, Livingston and countless others who have made huge contributions to the world through their actions I am not sure Churchill or Brunel are really top 10 material and I am damn certain Diana isn't even top 1,000,000 material.
Well it's a shame your vote doesn't count... Like I said, I think there are better contributors than Diana, but they voted her up there for a reason... "Never criticize the man on the ground."

Well it's a shame your vote doesn't count... Like I said, I think there are better contributors than Diana, but they voted her up there for a reason... "Never criticize the man on the ground."

What makes you so sure my vote doesn't count?

There's that bit about you being from New Zealand...... And the other bit about it being the Greatest BRITONS.

Last edited:
I know the concept... Just didn't know YOU were a dual citizen... It's funny when a person expects another person to know something about them, even though they give absolutely NO indication as to how to learn it about said person... Nothing in that person's profile, signature, avatar... And yet you talk as though you think I'm ignoring the fact that you are a dual citizen... Did you in fact vote for it?

1) It is a good lesson in assumption.

2) There is nothing in my profile because there is nothing I believe you need to know about me other than the opinions I express here which is all people need to focus on.

3) No I didn't vote in it and to be honest the 4 years I was there as a kid were probably the worst 4 years of my life and probably led to my great dislike of the place but the passport has been very good for business, and I did work in Ware for about 6 months so who knows.

I would have voted for Putin. I love the awesome image he presents, larger than life and too cool, like a KGB version of Chuck Norris. And he carries a Stechkin. Now that's quality propoganda with entertainment value. Sad what he's doing to the nation, though.

Back