Will The Republican Party run Dick Cheney for President?

Will Dick Cheney be the Republican Candidate for President in 2008??

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Who Cares??

• Dick Who?

• Total voters

godofthunder9010

Here we are, 5 years after the Democrats did it. So is the Republican Party actually stupid enough to run a man who has the charismatic appeal of a fence post (just like Al Gore)?

Dick Cheney is a smart man, I'll give him that. I also have some degree of loyalty because he is as close to the presidency that anyone from my home State (Wyoming) has come to the presidency. But I can just see it coming. Mr Stone-Faced Cheney runs for President and slaps on a plastic smile that you swear is going to shatter his hitherto never-smiling face: Just like ol' Al Gore!

If they run the man, I know of only one sure way for him to win the election in 2008. All that has to happen is that the Democrats run Hillary Clinton, and he should have no problem at all. I wonder, would that race be a close one?? The whole scenario makes me shudder.

Certainly not. Dick Cheney is an unpopular figure and his age and health are too serious of issues for him to be commander in chief at a time of war. I highly doubt that Mr. Cheney would even want to run if the party would let him. I have every confidence that the man is happy to fulfill his term as a patriot and then spend the rest of his life in wealthy retirement.

That's if he lives to see the end of his current term, his heart problems will never let him run a high position again.

Yeah, Cheney hopefully won't run, he looks and is weak physically. Not what people look for in a leader. And yes fences do have more charisma. :D

I think Cheney's ill health will keep him from running most certainly - not withstanding any other issues there may be. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cheney step down a year or two before the 2008 election. Probably two years before would be likely as that would enable more time for Bush to nominate a new Vice President and have the individual be both confirmed by Congress and have some time in the political sun before the election. This would give that person a lot of clout when the primaries start coming around. It would also enable the Bush people to continue their policies, should the person win.

The guy is practically on borrowed time.
I have my doubts on whether this guy will last another 8 years on this planet. Then of course when he dies of a heart attack or something, people will say he was "killed by the Party" for all the trouble he caused over the years blah blah conspiracy bollocks.

Of course, for age and health, many of the same things were said about Ronald Reagan.

Then again Reagan had charisma oozing out of his pores, and I'm still convinced that his Presidency demonstrates the fact that a politically smart moviestar (or any very public person) is the perfect President. Nobody is better at spinning a media circus on its head than someone who has dealt with them for most or all of their adult life.

Who do you run in 2008 if your the Republican Party? As you say, you want to pull said person into the Vice Presidency, etc, if possible. Who would you run for the Democratic Party? Now to reality:: Both parties are likely to be stupid so who do you think they WILL run?

the republican party is in a difficult situation here. they have to account for the possibility of the democrats nomonating hillary clinton as the democratic candidate. dick cheney would stand no chance against clinton. the GOP will have to pick someone completely unexpected to win in 2008.

I agree with Wispering Death (with such a nickname he must know it all about how long Cheney is likely to live on :lol: ).

13th RN is right too.

Cheney is not very popular and I tend to exclude he will next candidate. He's pretty old too.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see two women squaring off in the next election. I think the Republicans may very well offer Condi Rice as their candidate to counter a Hillary Clinton candidacy which seems almost inevitable at this point. I think many Republicans were surprised Rice did so well in a recent poll of possible 2008 candidates among American voters. I think she had something like 42% of the vote though Clinton had 10-15% more of the vote. Still quite close enough to do something with.

Rice is now the Secretary of State which is the highest ranking member of the cabinet and the 5th in line for the Presidency should more senior people be lost. It goes, President, Vice President, Speaker of the House, President Pro Temp of the Senate and then the Secretary of State. So she's already very high in authority now, if as I suggested, Cheney steps down sometime in say 2006 she could be nominated to Vice President and have two serious positions of power under her belt before the 2008 elections.

Charge_7 said:
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see two women squaring off in the next election. I think the Republicans may very well offer Condi Rice as their candidate to counter a Hillary Clinton candidacy which seems almost inevitable at this point.
Right after my own heart! I would LOVE to see the Republican Party be the first party to run an African American and a Women in the same package. Especially the part about being black, a woman, and the Republican Cadidate. I just love bizarre contradictions!

You gotta admit, Condalisa Rice is brilliant. Hillary Clinton is too, but why run a woman who reminds America of several of the most embarassing scandals in the history of the American Presidency. In the case of Whitewater, a scandal allegedly of her own making. How much would America end up reliving Monica Lewinsky, Whitewater, etc? She also needs to tone down much of her personal agenda making. I honestly think she could make a decent President, but as First Lady she demostrated the diplomatic ability of a slug. She managed to piss a lot of people off and step on a lot of toes in the world just to make sure she got her pet issues/projects greater focus. That's not good, especially when nobody actually elected you as anything.

I hadn't actually followed any polls lately. I was certainly been told that Hillary is pretty much going to be it for the Democrats, and I always thought this foolish. I was unaware that she had already garnered so much support though.

So she's already very high in authority now, if as I suggested, Cheney steps down sometime in say 2006 she could be nominated to Vice President and have two serious positions of power under her belt before the 2008 elections.
This is the smartest thing that the Republican Party could possibly do. The question is, will they actually do it?? If they plan to go through with it, the sooner that Dick Cheney resigns as Vice President and Condi replaces him, the better. I'd have to see what they stand for, but I'm betting that Condi is more likely to get my vote.

Right now, Chewie is probably vexed as all hell that he didn't come up with something so completely innocuous as I just did to stir up the hornets nest.

:firedevi:

Back