Will The Republican Party run Dick Cheney for President?

View Poll Results :Will Dick Cheney be the Republican Candidate for President in 2008??
Yes 1 6.67%
No 13 86.67%
Who Cares?? 1 6.67%
Dick Who? 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

March 31st, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Topic: Will The Republican Party run Dick Cheney for President?

Here we are, 5 years after the Democrats did it. So is the Republican Party actually stupid enough to run a man who has the charismatic appeal of a fence post (just like Al Gore)?

Dick Cheney is a smart man, I'll give him that. I also have some degree of loyalty because he is as close to the presidency that anyone from my home State (Wyoming) has come to the presidency. But I can just see it coming. Mr Stone-Faced Cheney runs for President and slaps on a plastic smile that you swear is going to shatter his hitherto never-smiling face: Just like ol' Al Gore!

If they run the man, I know of only one sure way for him to win the election in 2008. All that has to happen is that the Democrats run Hillary Clinton, and he should have no problem at all. I wonder, would that race be a close one?? The whole scenario makes me shudder.
March 31st, 2005  
Whispering Death

Certainly not. Dick Cheney is an unpopular figure and his age and health are too serious of issues for him to be commander in chief at a time of war. I highly doubt that Mr. Cheney would even want to run if the party would let him. I have every confidence that the man is happy to fulfill his term as a patriot and then spend the rest of his life in wealthy retirement.
March 31st, 2005  
WarMachine

That's if he lives to see the end of his current term, his heart problems will never let him run a high position again.
--
Boots
March 31st, 2005  
Vitaly

Yeah, Cheney hopefully won't run, he looks and is weak physically. Not what people look for in a leader. And yes fences do have more charisma.
March 31st, 2005  
Charge 7

I think Cheney's ill health will keep him from running most certainly - not withstanding any other issues there may be. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cheney step down a year or two before the 2008 election. Probably two years before would be likely as that would enable more time for Bush to nominate a new Vice President and have the individual be both confirmed by Congress and have some time in the political sun before the election. This would give that person a lot of clout when the primaries start coming around. It would also enable the Bush people to continue their policies, should the person win.
March 31st, 2005  
A Can of Man

The guy is practically on borrowed time.
I have my doubts on whether this guy will last another 8 years on this planet. Then of course when he dies of a heart attack or something, people will say he was "killed by the Party" for all the trouble he caused over the years blah blah conspiracy bollocks.
March 31st, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Of course, for age and health, many of the same things were said about Ronald Reagan.

Then again Reagan had charisma oozing out of his pores, and I'm still convinced that his Presidency demonstrates the fact that a politically smart moviestar (or any very public person) is the perfect President. Nobody is better at spinning a media circus on its head than someone who has dealt with them for most or all of their adult life.

Who do you run in 2008 if your the Republican Party? As you say, you want to pull said person into the Vice Presidency, etc, if possible. Who would you run for the Democratic Party? Now to reality:: Both parties are likely to be stupid so who do you think they WILL run?
March 31st, 2005  
Whispering Death

Yeah, but Regan didn't have to be hospitalised twice a year with heart problems.
March 31st, 2005  
Claymore

Mr Cheney has already publicly stated that when his term as Vice-President expires he is "Out of here".

http://www.nationalreview.com/kudlow...0503220925.asp

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...5/295zkwpw.asp

Sounds to me like the man wants to fish...
March 31st, 2005  
behemoth79

the republican party is in a difficult situation here. they have to account for the possibility of the democrats nomonating hillary clinton as the democratic candidate. dick cheney would stand no chance against clinton. the GOP will have to pick someone completely unexpected to win in 2008.