will marines pay my student loans

mm237

I have talked to a recruiter and have begun the enlistment process. He says that i cannot use the GI bill to pay for student loans that i have already incurred. I will have graduated college by the time i ship to boot camp and am worried about getting my loans repaid. My recruiter has told me about the "marine corps college fund" and says i would be eligible for around $16,xxx toward repayment of loans. I cant find any literature about this online and don't want to get lied to. What are my options for repayment of these loans. I had too many moral issues and mips to go officer route so I cannot get officer loan repayment. Any help?

I agree with Sig,

Don't go in just to pay off loans.

I about did the same thing for the Navy. That and I was out of a job for 3 months.

What did you go to school for and how much have you finished?

The best thing to do is get a Bachelors then go in to the Officer program after basic. That is "IF" you are really interested in the military.
It is very rewarding to get the discipline and experience, but don't do it out of rebellion or anything like that.

I could care less about getting them paid off per say. I am graduating in a year with a finance degree, emphasis in personal financial planning asset mgmt. I can pay my loans off with a civilian job, I am not worried about that. I Want to join because I want to join. Getting my loans paid off would be a nice "perk". I am already into the process of enlisting and have been doing regular pt with my oso. yet to be determined if I can go officer route (might need to enlist with Two m.i.p.s and a disorderly conduct), but i would be fine enlisting as well. My question still remains. . . Will the corps college fund cover prior incurred expenses. Thanks for the answers though guys

The "Marine Corps College Fund" is only available after you complete your enlistment.

Does that only refer to funding? and secondly is the Army different? The reason I ask is because I know someone here (won't use names for privacy, but I think you can figure out who I mean) who has parsed between college in between his military career. He was Deployed, went to College for a degree and then was Redeployed again.

I was always curious how that worked because I was always under the mistaken assumption that once you were in you were in until your enlistment was up. Unless he quit and reenlisted after he got his degree.

USMC paying...

Ain't going to happen. If you are coming in as enlisted your degree will not be paid for. I do NOT know how the officer side of the house works but as far as the enlisted side goes it will not pay off your student loans.

The only thing that I know you have working for you is the Soldier and sailors relief act and even that may not apply. I know this because my wife was enlisted and couldn't get her college loans paid for by the USMC.

I am currently enlisted and have Tuition Assistance. This is not the same as paying previous loans.

Back