NO. China is interested to use force 23 44.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

December 1st, 2004  
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesolutions
As a longtime sinophile and someone who has lived and worked in both countries I say: Yes they can reunite peacefully.

When I was in China (PRC) last, the locals were talking about a revolution, after the Olympics, to have a multiparty system. They seemed to be very determined about it. Most thought that it could/would be bloody.

If this internal revolt were to happen Taiwan could easily bring other partied to the mainland.
Bloody revolution? No, China is not going in that direction during its developing stage.

When you refer to locals, are you mentioning about Rural Locals? Which province? Which city?
December 1st, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesolutions
As a longtime sinophile and someone who has lived and worked in both countries I say: Yes they can reunite peacefully.

When I was in China (PRC) last, the locals were talking about a revolution, after the Olympics, to have a multiparty system. They seemed to be very determined about it. Most thought that it could/would be bloody.

If this internal revolt were to happen Taiwan could easily bring other partied to the mainland.
Weird to hear this to be honest.

Maybe you met 1 or 2 guys talking like that, while there are 1.2+ billion ppl who would deny ANY revolution.

And tell you the true fact, most Chinese ppl inside and outside China, are now supporting the good new Chinese government.
December 2nd, 2004  
MadeInChina

as much as the outside wants china to have democracy, i wouldnt have it anyother way than our good ol one party system
1) multiparty could bring hazadrous warefare and civil dispute, especially in the land of chin ain which this has been done over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....
2) democracy would not work, if everybody is allowed to vote, even the peasants, then the whole system wold be corrupted because rich party leaders could easily buy votes from these poor peasants for a high price.
3) democracy is inefficient especially in china, where there are always a huge side aginist another huge side.
4) sigh, jus tlook at ukraine

well, china rite now could do only 2 things
1) cut back some power to locals inorder to stop corruption and the seperate bureaus : civil law bureau and the police bureau
2) allow some religious rights to sastify the outside world inorder to bring a better image of china
--
Boots
December 2nd, 2004  
Banzai

I was dating a girl from China. Her feeling is, kick the hell out of Japan for WWII war crimes and Taiwan belongs to China so they don't have a choice.
December 2nd, 2004  
Zyca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak88
as much as the outside wants china to have democracy, i wouldnt have it anyother way than our good ol one party system
1) multiparty could bring hazadrous warefare and civil dispute, especially in the land of chin ain which this has been done over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....
2) democracy would not work, if everybody is allowed to vote, even the peasants, then the whole system wold be corrupted because rich party leaders could easily buy votes from these poor peasants for a high price.
3) democracy is inefficient especially in china, where there are always a huge side aginist another huge side.

1) cut back some power to locals inorder to stop corruption and the seperate bureaus : civil law bureau and the police bureau
2) allow some religious rights to sastify the outside world inorder to bring a better image of china
I think it's extreme difficult to feed that many people in China with democracy. Not a single country in the world has as many people as China does, and people are not starving in China. So give their government a lot of credit, they are making things work. And as far as I know, lives are getting much better, especially along the coastlines. They are improving, I read on the news they are cracking down corruption as well, quite a few politicians got executed, didn't they?

I don't think there's one rule that can fit all situations, China may be best left the way it is. I remember when asked why China cannot be democratic, a Chinese spokesperson replied "Take just a quarter of our population and stick them in your country with democracy, and let's see how well you handle it". I had a laugh, becuase it's so true, who can handle that?
December 3rd, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
I know not where this is or the history of this region so I really can not comment here.

Quote:
Vote buying? How so? In return for votes they build better plumbing systems, parks, build roads and schools? Stuff along those lines used to be called vote buying in America, not paying them to vote is something else completely, but almost impossible in China, in order to get a majority someone would need 500,000,000 votes, if they gave each "peasant" one dollar for voting for them they would have to spend $500,000,000, not many people in China could afford to do that, heck, that is double what Bush spent in 2004, and he set a record here in America.

Quote:
Well, in America we are split 51/49 but it still works, even with the country so "divided" we are still able to move forward.

Quote:
So you are going to let America and Russia give money to different canidates and then let them influence the outcome of the elections? Perhaps you are right then, democracy would not be good for China if they are going to become a puppet whose strings are pulled in opposite directions by Russia and the US.

Quote:
So revert to a totalitarian state?

Quote:
Actually, letting the people vote would go along ways towards bringing a better image of China.
December 3rd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
The problem is that you have a "One Party System" with the Communist Party as the only party. Its a political party based on a theory that doesn't actually work in the real world.

Quote:

I know that the idea and ideal of democracy is complex. That does make it hard to implement. It does work well in the USA, but we have many generations of traditions (starting in England) for our democratic process.

That does not mean that its a bad idea. Lets face it, the problem in the Ukraine is the fact that the status-quo WAS that the same party and candidate always won and they're having trouble adjusting to the any other mode.

Can you offer an example of a situation where a well established representative democracy failed in recent history??
December 3rd, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Quote:
The problem is that you have a "One Party System" with the Communist Party as the only party. Its a political party based on a theory that doesn't actually work in the real world.

Quote:

I know that the idea and ideal of democracy is complex. That does make it hard to implement. It does work well in the USA, but we have many generations of traditions (starting in England) for our democratic process.

That does not mean that its a bad idea. Lets face it, the problem in the Ukraine is the fact that the status-quo WAS that the same party and candidate always won and they're having trouble adjusting to the any other mode.

Can you offer an example of a situation where a well established representative democracy failed in recent history??
Well, I for one have seen many, many people saying that Bush is a tyrant, which would imply that he has complete control and that democracy has failed. Good point though, see once people experience freedom they usually do not want to give it up.
December 3rd, 2004  
SAINT

Bush a tyrant?
I think he's a very dynamic president.

December 3rd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Well, I for one have seen many, many people saying that Bush is a tyrant, which would imply that he has complete control and that democracy has failed.
They're called "sore losers". The democracy worked fine.