YES, but beyond my lifetime 2 3.85%
NO. China is interested to use force 23 44.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

November 23rd, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Wanna hear my plan to stun the world into completely rethinking its ideas about China?? #1 Thing: Drop Taiwan. If China were to turn around and tell Taiwan, "You're free to decide what you want to do." and then follow through accordingly. If Taiwan elects to truly reunite, good and well. If the elect to choose independence, that's also just fine. The bigger picture that most Chinese seem to not be seeing: China DOESN'T NEED THEM. Its a tiny scap of ground that will not significantly impact whether China one way or the other. By dropping Taiwan and putting its fate 100% into the hands of its citizens, China would achieve more diplomatically than it could through any other action.
godofthunder9010:

First, I really like your posts. Then:

1. "Drop Taiwan":
Believe or not, not possible, the Taiwanese have made them a disgusting ppl in the view of many Mainland Chinese, we really don't like them anymore. We treated them as country-fellows, but they act very selfish and in a disgusting way, we (many of us) have started to see them as worthless traitors, therefore, as a PLA general said to reporters openly: we prefer to nuke taiwan sothat there will be no more grass growable, than to let them get independence. You know what? When they have lost our respect, we will treat them no more nicely, no mercy.

2. We may go into war for the Taiwan problem, and lose alot of image in the world, but it will not matter too much for Chinese more. Chinese have already realized, as long as you got big fist, you don't need to care what other ppl think about you, pretty much like what USA does now. Of course, China will not act as bully even when China got much bigger fists, I am talking here about Taiwan, it is part of OUR territory, even your US government claims Taiwan is part of China.

Sorry to be frank and honest, but I am telling you what many Chinese see regarding Taiwan ppl, if you go to Chinese sites, you will see many suggesting simply nuking them, no need to treat them as Chinese fellows at all, since they don't treat themselves as Chinese, so why we care, no more BS with them, simply prepare the worst, no mercy.
November 23rd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
1. "Drop Taiwan":
Believe or not, not possible, the Taiwanese have made them a disgusting ppl in the view of many Mainland Chinese, we really don't like them anymore. We treated them as country-fellows, but they act very selfish and in a disgusting way we (many of us) have seen them as worthless traitors, therefore, as a PLA general said to reporters openly: we prefer to nuke taiwan sothat there will no more grass more growable, than to let them get independence. You know what? When they have lost our respect, we will treat them no more nicely, no mercy.
Yes, this is the China the world knows. "Don't cross me or I'll beat the shit ouf of you!!" In my own humble opinion, its the wrong approach. China and its people can be as mad as you like at Taiwan -- What I'm suggesting is China being the better person/people would force every nation on the planet to drastically rethink their opinion of China. It puts China in a MUCH stronger position diplomatically.

Quote:
2. We may go into war for the Taiwan problem, and lose alot of image in the world, but it will not matter too much for Chinese, Chinese have realized, as long as you got big fist, you don't need to care what other ppl think about you, pretty much like what USA does now. The fact is: as long as you got big fists, you got respect.
The United States was once an empire. They gave their holdings the chance to determine whether to remain part of the USA or not. The USA relinquishing control of Cuba and the Phillipines didn't hurt us, but it added greater reason for nations in the world to trust us.

Quote:
Sorry to be frank and honest, but I am telling you what many Chinese see regarding Taiwan issue, if you go to Chinese sites, you will see many suggesting simply nuking them, no need to treat them as Chinese fellows at all, since they don't treat them as Chinese, so why we care, no mercy.
Because of their blindspot to the obvious better direction, China proves itself to not be very intuitive nor diplomatic. They will remain the Big Tough Kid on the playground that threatens everyone and doesn't have many friends because of it.
November 23rd, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Yes, this is the China the world knows. "Don't cross me or I'll beat the shit ouf of you!!" In my own humble opinion, its the wrong approach. China and its people can be as mad as you like at Taiwan -- What I'm suggesting is China being the better person/people would force every nation on the planet to drastically rethink their opinion of China. It puts China in a MUCH stronger position diplomatically.
I believe this should be the correct way for a country and a person to handle things: first, you are a nice guy, but a bad guy comes to cross you, what should you do? Let being crossed? Or fight back?
Your suggestion does not work in this world, even US government does not take such stance. Taiwan has created a lot of trouble to China, China will NOT let the trouble maker to have a HAPPY life at all. Taiwan is only 200 KM from Mainland, they cannot float away, and China is only getting mighty + mighty, so the final showdown will decide who laugh who cry at the end. For Taiwan, they have only got 2 choice: surrender, or being destroyed. There isn't too many choices in life, isn't it?

Quote:
The United States was once an empire. They gave their holdings the chance to determine whether to remain part of the USA or not. The USA relinquishing control of Cuba and the Phillipines didn't hurt us, but it added greater reason for nations in the world to trust us.
Well, I should not bring USA into this topic, so I don't comment USA in this post.

Quote:
Because of their blindspot to the obvious better direction, China proves itself to not be very intuitive nor diplomatic. They will remain the Big Tough Kid on the playground that threatens everyone and doesn't have many friends because of it.
With friends it will be good, without friends, does not matter too much either. The best friends of Chinese are the 1.3 billion Chinese, big friends enough. Btw, when you got big fists, you got friends, that's the way of life.

Look, if Taiwanese act a bit more in a respectfull way, all issues can be solved nicely, like this:
As the Miss World final looms closer, contestants Miss China Yang Jin (left) and Miss Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) Hsu Yi-hui pose for the press on a beach in Sanya , Hainan Island . Contestants from 109 countries and regions will take part in the final on December 4. Associated Press photo

Why should we kill each other in battles? Think about.
--
Boots
November 24th, 2004  
MadeInChina

ooooo.... awwww....

Anyways, if you've see chinese media lately, alot of taiwan+chinese style films have came out with overwelming viewings and ratings, it just proves the the taiwnese is really chiense and that they are part of hcina...

CHenshiubien and his TAiDU( taiwnindependence) really brainwashed many taiwanese beliveing they arenot chinese and that china is a very evil prescence in this world and they must avioid it...

IN fact, hundreds of articles are on the net right now argueing about the changing of history in taiwanese text books

A chiense friend told me that taiwan is udnergoing a *cultrual revolution rigte now*
November 24th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

I think that China and Taiwan can peacefully unite. The greatest obstacles are on the Chinese side where there is more than enough, "Taiwan is evil this ..." and "Taiwan is evil that ..." to go around. If there is going to be any sort of peaceful reconciliation, China and its people need to drop all that. Jumping back into the clubhouse that is constantly going to the greatest possible lengths to demonize you ... welll honestly, it isn't that appealing.
November 24th, 2004  
MadeInChina

BUTTTT< THEY ARE EVIl......... well, just the leaders, i like taiwanese people, especially taiwanese girls, but thats because they are all so nice and hot looking...

anywahs, back on topic, taiwan shouldnt worry too much, its army isnt as well trained as the chiense and it will be over before the news says it started
November 24th, 2004  
It's all a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
I think that China and Taiwan can peacefully unite. The greatest obstacles are on the Chinese side where there is more than enough, "Taiwan is evil this ..." and "Taiwan is evil that ..." to go around. If there is going to be any sort of peaceful reconciliation, China and its people need to drop all that. Jumping back into the clubhouse that is constantly going to the greatest possible lengths to demonize you ... welll honestly, it isn't that appealing.
Since decades ago (when China started its reform?), the situation has been the opposite to what you describe. Taiwan is the one that has kept demonizing the mainland. The Chinese government has been nice toward the Taiwanese authority. It is they (since Mr Lee, the former ROC president) who have been the aggressor. China has been trying to keep it low because it needs time to repair and build its economy and because many in China believed that Taiwan would want to come back if and when China becomes its economic equal. But things just didn't turn out the way the mainlanders hoped. Taiwan has kept drifting away due to Lee and Chen and their likes's relentless effort in separating Taiwan and people on the Island from the mainland.

I actually like what you pictured for China: Giving up Taiwan and make a good image of its own in the world. But then I thought of this: Taiwan can go, why can't the people of Tibet, Xinjiang, or even Shanghai decide to go as well? Or what's so wrong for China to simply break up into 8 or more small nations so all neighbors will be happy? Unless that is acceptable, China should NOT let go of Taiwan until one day it becomes as strong as the USA. Then like the states of the US, no parts of China will want to be independent. Some neighbors may want to join or rejoin China (United States of China? Federation of China?).
November 24th, 2004  
It's all a game

Having said all the above, I definitely hope that China will become more and more like the United States of America in so many aspects in the shortest possible time. Our generation may not live long enough to enjoy that day, but definitely will see the positive changes along the way.

I also hope that the USA will not become more and more like a police state as many fear it is pushing toward that direction.

I hope that the great changes many believe will happen to planet earth will actually happen in this life time of ours. I simply see no end in this miserable human struggle against each other and against nature.
November 24th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

I'm aware that both sides have thrown a lot into making each other look evil. The problem is, after reunification, Taiwan is in no position to stop the People's Republic of China from making their life pure hell. They're also in no position to return the favor. For those reasons, it is the PRC that must clear the air of all the demonizing. Lets face it, Taiwan fully and completely reuniting ... its like being weaponless and sharing a cave with a Grizzly Bear -- you have no power to stop your roomate from ripping you to pieces and having you for lunch.

As far as the USA is concerned, we have felt we needed to invade Iraq and Afganistan, but it hasn't exactly made us look good internationally. I'm at a loss as to what the correct course of action is, but obviously something needed to be done and something is being done. Make no mistake, the moment that Afganistan and Iraq are ready to go it alone, the USA withdraws post-haste.

But its a lousy justification for invading Taiwan. It assumes that the USA is always right in everything it does and China has no intention of allowing the people of Taiwan to determine their own fate.
November 25th, 2004  
MadeInChina

The taiwanese, oh poor taiwanese have been lead by some of the two most wankstaed minded leasders of this century

Lee-boy ( wutever his real name is) that son of a gun, is a japanese lover encouraging all chinese to view the japs as their leader and higher race. Second of all, despite his ecomonic advacement for taiwan, it isnt all democratic during 1991-1999, when thousands of untold stories unfolded untold sincemost of the world focused on the chinese development: so many died of cancer and pollution under his rule in whicih industry has been the top piority, if uve seen a 93' pic of taibei, the whole city looks worse than mexico city

Chenshibien( damn, he has my last name... disgrace ) this guy is turning taiwan into a heap of mess with is independency that has tourched a huge cultural revolution, jsut as well, he puts the taiwane people in a dilemma, are they chinese or taiwanese???? and his growing distance fromchina also changed teh history in textbooks and their logos