Will the battle tank become obsolete? - Page 24

--

September 9th, 2011  
84RFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
Only problem is powering the beasts in the future, the age of oil can't last forever.

Interesting thoughts on how that problem will surely be overcome.
Nah, it's just a question of money actually.
There's no problem making synthetic diesel, but regular diesel is a whole lot cheaper.
Armoured warfare will be more expensive in the future, but not obsolete.
September 16th, 2011  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RFK
There's no problem making synthetic diesel, but regular diesel is a whole lot cheaper.
I am not so sure. I just don't see the cost effectiveness of a $4 Million a copy M1A2 tank vs the $40,000 cost of a Javelin anti-tank Missile.

There will always a need for a support unit to backup the infantry, but in my mind it would be more sensible to make cheaper disposal units (probably robotic) as the crew and the needs of the crew (compartments, fresh air, A/C, armor protection, etc) in the tank consume cost and space within the vehicle than the expensive high-tech human manned behemoths that can be easily destroyed/disabled with basic IEDs.

Think how the US or Russians in WWII. They didn't win by having the best technological tank like the Germans had. They won by having thousands inexpensive replacements, so that when a tank was destroyed 5 more would take its place.
September 19th, 2011  
84RFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
I am not so sure. I just don't see the cost effectiveness of a $4 Million a copy M1A2 tank vs the $40,000 cost of a Javelin anti-tank Missile.

There will always a need for a support unit to backup the infantry, but in my mind it would be more sensible to make cheaper disposal units (probably robotic) as the crew and the needs of the crew (compartments, fresh air, A/C, armor protection, etc) in the tank consume cost and space within the vehicle than the expensive high-tech human manned behemoths that can be easily destroyed/disabled with basic IEDs.

Think how the US or Russians in WWII. They didn't win by having the best technological tank like the Germans had. They won by having thousands inexpensive replacements, so that when a tank was destroyed 5 more would take its place.
The Germans was technically advanced, maybe to advanced I'd say since they suffered from lack of interchangability and over-complicated solutions that hampered maintainance and field repair.

The Soviets T34's efficiency wasn't just due to the massive amounts of them, but the sound thinking behind the design and the simple solutions they incorporated in them.

The idea of robotics is still Sci-Fi, there are plenty of examples allready in use (drones and UAV's like the Reaper) but still the idea of building F-35's has prevailed.
--
October 28th, 2011  
wayword son

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh

actually, the allied tanks were more of an equal match with the standard Panzer 4 tank, (by far the most numerous of the German tanks.)
as far as the panther, tiger, and tiger II went, in a tank to tank conflict, the allied forces suffered some startling setbacks even when they had hordes of tanks faced by just a few of the top tier German tanks.

however, when the weather was clear, its the typhoon, and thunderbolt (and in the east, the Il II sturmvic) that ruled the battle field.
October 28th, 2011  
wayword son

don't think the tank will ever be obsolete,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_(self-aware_tank)

but i dont expect we will be able to tell what it will look like in the next century
July 25th, 2012  
hector_rolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RFK

Not so easy. Biofuel has an extremely low EROEI.
August 12th, 2012  
m551sheridan

MBT's becoming extinct?? Naaaaaaaaaaah, inovations are being made all the time

September 6th, 2012  
jayraptor

Unless you could build hover tanks and more agile mechs/heavy gears, tanks will not become obsolete. There are always situation where excessive firepower and armor shielding required to protect foot soldiers in capturing strongholds. Without tanks in areas where choppers and aircraft have limited access, tanks will be called. Else the soldiers will be gunned down.
September 28th, 2012  
Recce011

Canada played that game, Retired the Leo 1 C2, then we rolled into afghanistan. We had to lease Leo 2'S A6M from the dutch. Then end up buying A4's.
December 2nd, 2012  
The Unseen

Tanks are obsolete. In fact airplanes should also be obsolete if right now a developed nation started to divert funding from aircraft and put it towards ground based missile technology. Need some recon of an area? Use a satellite. Got the recon? Attack hostile area with precision guided munitions from ground based missile system. Job done.

Missile platforms is where the pie is. They could do it all making everything obsolete.

Finally why would you need to hold an area? It's not about holding an area. It's about not letting the enemy hold an area. Achieve that and you just won the war.